Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Fisher Coin Strike

Posted by dazmond66 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Fisher Coin Strike
March 15, 2015 07:57PM
Tom or anyone ..whats your views on the Coin Strike ,I've just bought a mint one, i had one in the past but didn't keep it long found it hard work ,so going to try again .any advice would be much appreciated .
Re: Fisher Coin Strike
March 15, 2015 10:12PM
This is a favorite of Mike Hillis who is on this forum so maybe he will chime in. Always heard they like steel bottle caps and I.D. them as coins.
March 15, 2015 10:32PM
I like the new detectors that are being sold today but I had one and liked the CX3D better

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
March 16, 2015 12:10AM
Coinstrike was just a little different to learn but once learned an excellent deep unit...Had an early one and beat the pants off several fellow hunters using top of line units relative deep silver including a 11-12 inch seated dime. Drawback it called round iron objects as coins including rusty beer caps and our area is loaded with them. No one ever could give me a way to tell them from coins including Fishers poster boy at that time whose answer was ...gee we don't have them in my neck of the woods so was sold quickly....
March 16, 2015 09:16PM
Fisher Research Laboratory had a engineer (Dimitar) of whom was given a clean slate to design a detector platform........ to the point of having NEVER looked at any blueprints of any metal detector platform....... ever. Start from 'Ground Zero'.

His #1 focus...... was black magnetic dirt. Soooooo...... long story short............ this is the 'primary' target for the Coin$trike.
March 16, 2015 09:17PM
There are two CoinStike models floating around today. The original and the refurbished. The main difference between the two is that you can run higher settings on the refurbished units. The originals were suspose to become one of the new Fisher Flagships and they were tuned to perform that way, though they were afraid to really open them up because they were having trouble with the ground tracking at the high sensitivity side. The refurbished unit arn't tuned as hot, and so have a little less issues with EMI.

If you have moderate to high iron mineralization you will like it. It will keep high conductors in the non-ferrous range longer, allowing them to report with a high tone. A dime may read 28 in low minerals, but in high iron minerals it may push up into the 40's like they do in my ground. On the Coinstrike, it will still report as a high tone, high conductor non-ferrous response. Any other detector would wrap that dime into the iron range and report with a low tone.

Use averaging on when iron trash content is low to moderate. If you get a stable ID lock, recover it no matter what the number. A stable Id lock is a round object of some sort, and you wont know what it is until you dig it. Yes, it could be a rusty old crown style bottle cap. It doesn't hurt to work some iron discrimination in.

Deep coins sound deep.

Ground balance is important. The better you balance, the better you'll like it. Even if you have a actually clear a space to ground balance, you should ground balance.

CoinStrike homepage is a good place to visit. Findmall may still have some old pages with info on it. Look way back.

Good luck.
Mike
March 16, 2015 11:51PM
Hey Mike, When you say deep coins sound deep do you modulated? And if so is the Modulated Audio adjustable like on a CZ? Thanks.
March 17, 2015 02:18AM
CoinStrike was and is one of my favorite relic machines. I dug boo coos of bullets with that thing in some really bad dirt. It does exactly like Mike says...doesn't let the non ferrous dip into the ferrous range because of the soil. Which may be why it loved those rusty crown caps so much. Ironically, I never used it for coin hunting. Just relics.
March 17, 2015 02:19AM
Harold,
Yes, in the ground it has a type of modulated audio. But it cannot be adjusted like on a CZ. Also, forgot to mention that it likes a certain sweep speed that you have to learn and it isn't all that forgiving if you don't learn it.

It also works great around big iron.

HH
Mike
March 17, 2015 03:38AM
I hear Kevin B.'s wheels turning ,you wouldn't hear mine you would smell smoke? Great read thanks to the posters!
March 17, 2015 01:32PM
Daniel, I was thinking of you in this thread.

If I recall right, you even posted once about some really bad dirt that even the bullets were reading iron, and you still hunted them successfully because the iron id stayed pretty consistant for them, something like a -36 if I recall right.

I also remember the Coinstrike making me so made at Fisher I stopped looking at any of their detectors for several years after that. My first one had a cracked component in it that caused the detector to shut off after it heated up. Didn't become really appearent until the weather warmed up and then hunting time was limited to about 30 minutes. I sent in a pristine CoinStrike for warranty repair. It took them 2 months to fix it and get it back to me, and when it came back the LCD faceplate was badly scratched up from them wiping two months of dust off it with a dirty, gritty rag. I still get mad just thinking about it.

HH
Mike
March 17, 2015 02:47PM
Having read all the posts still think it would work well in the boonies where they didn't have crown caps(rusty beer caps) just like the Fisher poster boy elated to....Really got some nice deep silver when hunting in the aforementioned areas and still waiting for someone to tell me how to tell the rusty cap and the high coin an d even if I did know would be time consuming hunting locally..
March 19, 2015 05:57AM
Think I've got one of the quiet ones .as I can use it with the sensitivity maxed out.
December 29, 2018 01:40PM
Interesting.
Dimitar mentioned here.

NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Fisher Research Laboratory had a engineer (Dimitar
> ) of whom was given a clean slate to design a dete
> ctor platform........ to the point of having NEVER
> looked at any blueprints of any metal detector pla
> tform....... ever. Start from 'Ground Zero'.
>
> His #1 focus...... was black magnetic dirt. Sooooo
> o...... long story short............ this is the '
> primary' target for the Coin$trike.

And Dimitar later develops Tarsacci.

Oh and here is Coinstrike home page link.
[home.insightbb.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2018 05:37PM by tnsharpshooter.
December 29, 2018 10:11PM
What threw me the most when I first got the Coinstrike was the "threshold" control. Being used to an all metal threshold, the way it's set up is a** backwards. Higher negative numbers increase the threshold. Really whats up with that? It's a gain control not a threshold control Dimitar! LOL Get it close to 0 or in to the positive numbers and it hits on every bit of foil in the ground. High negative numbers quiet it down and still allow coins size objects, or bullets, to be heard. Just like a gain control does.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2018 10:14PM by Jackpine.