Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

does anyone feel there racer overloads to much

Posted by coinranger 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: does anyone feel there racer overloads to much
March 31, 2015 03:15PM
MichiganRelicHunter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Keith Southern Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > That's right DEL...
> >
> > Talk yourself out of it... LOL!!!!
> >
> > Curiosity always wins out in the end..
> >
> > Repeat after me: I dont need a new unit ....I
> dont
> > need a new unit...!!
> >
> >
> > Keith
>
>
> Funny schit!
>
> But true!!

WHAT-----it's funny that I'm capable of making a decision??? LOL---------Hey----maybe ole JJ & I will get one of these buggars after some of you "guinea pigs" have the bugs worked out of them! smiling smiley
March 31, 2015 03:28PM
I got a few overloads on my small coil but there is going to be targets that are on the surface..On the deus they have audio overload and if you trun it up the sound of the target will get more noisey and buzzy so they found a way to control that but it helps me find large iron so I keep it on about 2 if you trun it down your tones are more sweet sounding...Hey I would get a racer now before they tweek it and change it so you don't get the great depth the machine offers now.

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
March 31, 2015 03:30PM
Pimento Wrote:
> Quote Keith:"Thats the way it runs...it's a high
> gain unit"
> That's not an excuse. If you design a detector to
> be capable of resolving weak signals, you should
> also make it still capable of handling 'normal'
> strong signals. The fact that this machine
> struggles with the strong signals suggests to me
> that some compromises have been made in the
> design, likely for cost reasons. They may be using
> an Analogue-to-Digital converter with fewer Bits
> resolution, for example. Increasing the raw
> analogue gain can make up for this, but......side
> effects are:
> *Easy overload on regular targets
> *Sensitivity to coil characteristics, eg. how well
> it's nulled (it may need to be better than
> comparable machines from other manufacturers), how
> stable the null is (with temperature, in
> particular, though time may be an issue)

totally agree
March 31, 2015 07:19PM
Hard a strong feeling the Racer would overload, Kept this to myself only mentioned this to El about 2-3 months ago when a new model in the works (Racer) started to surface.

Reason I didn't pursue getting one.

Paul (Ca)
March 31, 2015 08:34PM
At least it makes a noise to let you Know. to raise coil..

I know some that overload and you dont know they have overloaded..they just dont report strong targets..

Good info Pimento!!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
March 31, 2015 08:48PM
Sounds as though the Racer is a "thinking man's" machine---that in of itself will cause problems.LOL
March 31, 2015 08:56PM
Doc, That is what my wife tells me, she says everytime I start to think, that's when the problems start. LOL

Randy
March 31, 2015 09:06PM
See.
April 01, 2015 04:15AM
Cabin Fever Wrote:
> Kevin B Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I have learned to cope with overloading in old
> > homesites (that still has large pieces of tin/
> > large debris). But my unit falses everytime it
> > hits a twig or tree. But, I am learning to
> cope
> > with that as well.
> > I can lay a penny on top of the ground and
> the
> > Racer will overload on it. And then I start
> > lifting the coil until it stops. Doesn't take
> > much. But I DO like the way it punches through
> > the ground and sees lead and brass. But again,
> my
> > only beef is when I bump a twig or small plant
> > stem while swinging and it sounds off. It makes
> me
> > re-swing that area to see if it was the
> > twig......or an actual target. Slows me down a
> > bit.....but I noticed that when I go slow.....I
> > find more.
>
> My detector is very stable when I bump things. No
> false signals.
> In fact I hunted for my neighbors lost bracelet
> today in the woods behind her house.
> Very rough terrain. Rocks, trees, branches. I
> bumped them all.
> Maybe check your coil connection at the detector,
> or maybe your ground balance?
> Shouldn't be going off on twigs.

Cabin fever.....after today's hunt, I realize that my problem (falsing when bumping stuff) was 'user error'. I was schooled by someone who knows their stuff and problem solved. I even tried to make it false today, but to no avail. After a bit of eductaion, I am 100% happy with my Racer. Happy Hunting!!!!!!!! kevin
April 01, 2015 09:35AM
MAKRO, (Dilek) posted the following on the Findmall forum:

Hello all.... as we see a lot of posts on the Racer overload situation, we wanted clarify it for you:

The electronic gain of the RACER consists of 3 levels to eliminate the internal electromagnetic noise and to adjust the saturation level. The electronic gain change points correspond to levels 39 and 69 on the Gain setting. In case of saturation (overload), you may raise your search coil a bit or adjust the Gain to the lower electronic gain level. For example, in the All Metal and Two Tone modes, if the Gain is set to 70 or above and if saturation occurs, adjusting the Gain to 69 or 39 will minimize or eliminate the saturation. Similarly, if you experience saturation in the Three Tone mode, adjusting the Gain to 39 will be sufficient. Reducing the gain will not cause a dramatic decrease in depth.
April 01, 2015 10:51AM
Then, a little later, after someone asked her to address the "faulty coil issue", she replied (on the FIndMall Racer forum):

Hello...at this point we really cannot say that there is a ''coil issue''. There may be a few bad coils out there which are single occurences but most comments we are reading on overloading are not a result of any coil issue and that is why we made the post about the overload.
In any case, if any customer thinks that they have a bad coil, they should contact the Makro team immediately and upon verification of the issue, they will be sent a replacement coil if necessary.
April 01, 2015 04:52PM
It looks like it would not be good in a pull tab infested park as it would overload all the time.Pull tabs all over the surface, I guess maybe you could remember to hunt holding the coil above the ground. I am just another one on the fence. Have the money but not quiet sure yet. It really sounds like a great machine. I sold two detectors to get it but I think I will wait a while. ..Maybe the company will do something to fix the problem. I know some say it is not a problem but I see it as a problem.....Jack
April 01, 2015 05:06PM
Jack...you have one of the greatest park hunters available, The MX5... I was hunting an old park in a big city with mine with the 5.3 concentric and getting copper mems right next to old beavertail PT's, found a wheat next to a pulltab. Gridding the area, small piece at a time, coil speed at a real slow pace and overlaping sweeps by 1/3 coil diameter is the secret to unmasking in these old parks. My hunting buddy was tired and wanted to leave and he was driving, so we left. This is one park that I am going to revisit, very soon!

jackintexas Wrote:
> It looks like it would not be good in a pull tab
> infested park as it would overload all the
> time.Pull tabs all over the surface, I guess maybe
> you could remember to hunt holding the coil above
> the ground. I am just another one on the fence.
> Have the money but not quiet sure yet. It really
> sounds like a great machine. I sold two detectors
> to get it but I think I will wait a while. ..Maybe
> the company will do something to fix the problem.
> I know some say it is not a problem but I see it
> as a problem.....Jack
April 01, 2015 05:07PM
It does not look like a good detector for a pull tab infested park. Tabs everywhere on the surface. I know you could hunt holding the coil above the ground. Some say overloading is not a problem. I sold two detectors to get one but I think I will wait a while and see if the company will correct this problem. I know several folks say this is not a problem. I think I will wait a while, I see this as a problem.....Jack
April 01, 2015 05:07PM
It does not look like a good detector for a pull tab infested park. Tabs everywhere on the surface. I know you could hunt holding the coil above the ground. Some say overloading is not a problem. I sold two detectors to get one but I think I will wait a while and see if the company will correct this problem. I know several folks say this is not a problem. I think I will wait a while, I see this as a problem.....Jack
April 01, 2015 05:12PM
Man....Jack, multiple posts, seems like an echo chamber...Hello,hello hello
April 01, 2015 05:31PM
Hi,,,I really don't know how much it would overload in a park scenario.....I'm a coil scrubber trying to get all the depth I can get....I do know there is a lot of bottle caps at three inches or so in some spots I hunt...I also pull a lot of over looked coins next to pull tabs and bigger trash....Would it overload on these items too?....One thing I know for sure is I'm not hunting holding the coil up in the air all the time....This technique seems like it would be counterproductive in achieving maximum depth that is needed in some areas I hunt......So far I have seen no great finds or even mediocre ones for that matter....I just don't know how this machine would work in my area....No one around here has one that I could try out....Perhaps I will wait until May/? when the new one comes out with notch etc...Maybe it will be different and be an improved version....I guess if someone was letting one go dirt cheap I would jump on it just to try it out.....JJ
April 01, 2015 06:01PM
If your hunting raw dirt Jimmy and the tabs and such are on top of the soil it would overload..

if you have grass and the tabs are say under the grass roots and such you should be good...the overload on a coin size object is not a problem at say 2 inches from coil..

I havee few problems with oveload in my hunt environs but im not in modern trash much....

I did hunt the spot last weekend where I got the Buffalo and it was full of trash but I used the small coil and it did not overload no more than other machines ive used in same environs...

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
April 01, 2015 06:04PM
Glad the ground balance solved your Issue Kevin!!

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
April 01, 2015 06:09PM
JJ,
I made 2 great finds at a site hunted by many over the last 30 years or so. I posted them right here on this forum. Now I made them with small coil and Nokta CoRe unit. The Racer is very close to the same. If anything the Racer is better. Now the Racer aint been out long. Really less than 2 weeks. The folks across the pond have reported good performance. As far as the overload issue. In a park situation I think you'll have no problems. When folks get more accustomed to using the units this overload talk will diminish. The Racer with stock coil separates well, IMO better than Deus with 9" coil. Small coil performance in the separation/depth depts very good. Remember what the detector cost. And the TID the unit brings even in trash/ iron is remarkable. With time the finds and stories/history of site detected will show its performance and capabilities. One thing though. The grass/weeds are starting to grow and fast. We may not get the true big picture of its performance until Oct/Nov of this year. Had the Racer have been released say in Oct last year, we I think would already have many finds discovered in already hard hunted sites. To close, I don't think one should expect to see finds jumping out of the ground left and right out of a site that's been hunted with some of the other good separating detectors i.e. Deus, F75, Tesoros. But some finds anyway. To get to some of the finds that remain it takes either a deeper detector or a detector that separates better than what has been used previously on a site. Will a person ever pay for an added detector to their arsenal with the new added finds they discover??? Could, IMO not likely. But if a person is in to metal detecting (coin hunting) for the $$$$$$$$. IMO, there are other things you can do that will pay more for your time. I'm in it for the sport/hobby. For enjoyment, the challenge. Also it satisfies my curiosity. I've often wondered what the older generations back then had and used. Metal detecting around old homes I feel sheds huge light on this very thing.
JJ, there will be many more new detectors released in the coming months/years. I think detector technology as it relates to performance will be geared to slight increases in performance/capabilities. And yes a few bells and whistles thrown in. And none of us will live forever, nor do we know how our health will be even next week. In the meantime I'm going to enjoy what detectors I have-the Racer being one of them. Cheers

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2015 02:45AM by tnsharpshooter.
April 01, 2015 10:12PM
Also Jimmy you find if you have some mineral the Racer?CoRe gives better report on burried targets if the coil is not touching the dirt..

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
April 02, 2015 12:42AM
This overload drama is getting blown way out of proportion!
There is no problem that needs fixed on the Racer. It is a fantastic machine.
It is the easiest, deepests and best detector I have owned.
I like the overload feature. It's not something that is going crazy every time you sweep your coil.
I scrub the grass when I detect. You do not have to walk around with the coil off the ground.
April 02, 2015 12:49AM
Hi,,thanks for the info & suggestions........JJ
April 02, 2015 02:15AM
I will have to see what my machine does with the standard coil but hey jsut try turning down the gain a little and see what happens you won't lose depth and if everyone starts to trip out the company may have to fix this even though they don't see it as a problem and then we will start to see them being made with less depth

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
April 02, 2015 02:47AM
So....got the racer out for a second run..more of a normal trashy house site than what i ran it in the first time..The first site I went to with it is loaded with lots of nails and big iron..The reason i took it it there first was its a very worked out site..and haven't pulled any coins in a long time from it..Hell its hard to get something non ferrous any more.. i figured If I did then this would be the magical machine Ive been waiting for..I had a lot of overload sounds and pulled a few nails right away...didn't pull but a couple non ferrous items..first outing not so impressed...(To much gain)...Today second run with it(stock coil) in 2 tone I worked with only gain..Had some overloading at first but ended up under 39 on gain...Now this site is pretty worked out also.. pulled 3 coins 6 buttons a broach and a lot of copper and lead etc...not much problems with iron...I will say it locks pretty good on targets..I couldn't comment on depth because of the lower gain setting and trashy environment I was in...overall.... pleased...I wish I had the small coil to try in these areas then things really could of got exciting...My next outing is going to be some old worked out fairgrounds to see how the overload signals will do when I crank this thing up..At this point I don't see it being a problem now...But we will see...
April 02, 2015 02:53AM
Good learning experince with a new unit..

I cant stress enough the importance of the small OOR 5" coil for the thickest of iron infestation sites...

I wish they would of made it like the F75/T2 models where they include that coil in the box with stock as standard..it needs to be part of the overall experience...

good for you..

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
April 02, 2015 05:12AM
Yes Keith, I have noticed that raising the coil an inch off the ground will cause weak signals to get stronger sounding in mineralized dirt. It's happened more than once. It seems that my Deus with the same way, in mineralized ground. Great advice Keith. And proven.