Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

First Bronze coin in my career

Posted by Old California 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
First Bronze coin in my career
March 31, 2015 02:16AM
Got out for a day up in gold country, Wasn't planning on going just worked out unexpectedly getting together with a local person from the area he's new to metal detecting. In fact, Would like to get Ray from Ca. and Lawernzo out there too if not soon maybe in the late fall.

After getting permission from his wife, He calls and wants to go relic detecting and this past Saturday was perfect for the two of us. So I called the owner of the 1500 acre property that same night to get permission, he says sure come on down and introduce your friend then detect as long as you like. David the newbie did extremely well being his first time relic detecting, With his Whites V3 he scores four Chinese cache coins, Several pistol balls and his first powder flask top. At the time, I had picked up four cache coins too and a couple of broken pieces of Chinese coins, Several pistol balls and a few other interesting finds with the GPX 5000 using the 5"X10" DD commander coil. Had my mind set with using the GPX as long as possible, With the Deus inside my backpack for the iron laced sites stayed with the GPX most of the day. Before we new it was getting late, Long hike back to my pickup and as we were starting to leave David mentions let's stay longer now that told me he's hooked for sure!

Now it's getting late and I remember finding another patch of ground 8-9 years ago from a brief sampling digging of several square nails and always wanted to go back to this site but never ventured back into this area, So rather than stay and continue hunting the same site we've been hunting most of the day mentioned to David of another site about 1 mile hike away and through a forest of trees was a meadow with great potential. We arrived at the meadow, Unpacked our gear and started to detect. Square nails everywhere great we're on the right ground, I'm still swinging the GPX but as the abundance of iron increased ok it's time to park the GPX and use the Deus to work the inner area of the meadow laced with iron. When I say Laced with iron that's an understatement the inner area is so thick with iron and rusted tin about 70-80% of digging was iron or rusted trash, But the new comer to relic detecting he didn't care he was digging up gold rush era finds even if it was mostly iron.

Somewhere between this mess of iron, got a clean signal and what popped out really surprised me. What looked like a quarter half dollar size coin was the prettiest target I've seen all day, new it was coin but what was it and based from the size it had to be foreign. From the help of other forum friends the coin is a 1793 King Louis XVI 12 Deniers France Coin, it's 18mm in size and made of bronze my first bronze coin find in my career.

Have to share the GPX is one dynamite PI, So glad to have made the investment it's one serious relic machine. Wanted to slap on the 11" DD but was having so much fun with the 5"X10" DD commander for this type of hunting it stayed on.

An adventures day for sure, Got my first bronze coin in my career and helped a newbie in the hobby with his first taste of relic hunting smiling smiley

Thanks for looking,
Paul (Ca)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2015 02:17AM by Old California.
Re: First Bronze coin in my career
March 31, 2015 02:29AM
What a great find!!!! Great write-up too. Sounds like you got a dedicated detecting buddy too. 2 great finds!!!
March 31, 2015 02:31AM
Two great first Paul..

Your first Bronze and your buddys first relic Hunt..

Hope you and he makes some great discovery's!!!

Im telling you ya'll are on a goldmine out in Cali...Literally LOL!!!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
March 31, 2015 02:52AM
Thanks tnsharpshooter and Keith,

You guys are not kidding, David the newbie called me yesterday and wants to go again smiling smiley He's hooked for sure but I'll need to speed up his recovery speed the Whites V3 preset recovery speed is too slow. He could have done allot better had the recovery speed been faster, Can't understand why Whites did this with the preset being so slow.

Keith, I agree we have enough historical ground to detect for a lifetime. It's out there, Plenty for a lifetime it'll keep on giving finds for both the owners and the ones who can research these places out. I've always said it's best to give back the finds to the owners, One will have unlimited access when doing this.

I'll go ahead and mentioned what happened that night as we were leaving the property, As we made our way to my pickup we then drove to the owners home to show him our finds. Well when we arrived he was not there, Left a note on his door thanking him for letting us hunt his property and mentioned of the 1793 coin I had found. He has a nice display of finds I have made from past hunts and that the new find (1793 coin) would be added to his display next time I see him. From there, We drive down the mountain to the gate. What happens next is terrible the metal gate is locked, We are doomed for sure, no telling what time the owner will be returning or if he went into the valley to spend the weekend with family or his wife which is in the hospital.

No cell phone coverage so we're in a world of hurt, I mentioned to David well we got a treasure hunters dream come true we can hunt all night to our hearts content in relic territory smiling smiley

Luckily, A home isn't too far down a stretch with a land line, And I have the owners main Ranch hands phone number. We made it to the home with the land line and the tenant was ok with us using the phone to call the Ranch Hand, So I called the ranch hand and she was down there in under 15 minutes to let us out.

We were so lucky, After speaking with the owner yesterday on the phone he had forgotten about us being on his property smiling smiley

Thanks again,
Paul

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2015 02:56AM by Old California.
March 31, 2015 03:00AM
Close call Paul...But an all nighter might not of been too bad LOL!!

glad yall are O.K.

New to hunting and he's running a V3??

let him borrow a MXT/GMP/G2 from you.. it will make the learning curve so much easier..LOL!!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
March 31, 2015 03:07AM
A day in the life of " Old California " wow your one stout fellow and your writing & story-telling is as solid as a rock also, 1700's coin making my head spin LOL thanks & HH~rr7 P.s you might have too start packing a bed roll?
March 31, 2015 03:11AM
I agree Keith, Had mentioned to David he needs an MXT for relic detecting since he's already starting out with a Whites. Already showed him the GMP and he already sees an advantage with the faster recovery speed, Next time will let him borrow the GMP or another faster possessor machine. The good thing is he does understand he wasn't equipped with the proper setup that day which is good, He's willing to go outside the box to do whatever it takes to make relic detecting much easier.

Thanks Keith!
Paul (Ca)
March 31, 2015 03:13AM
Thanks rapidroy,

In many ways I'm still just as a beginner as David the local newbie, Still have allot of learning that's for sure smiling smiley Appreciate the kind encouraging words, Great hobby we have got to love every moment of it even when nothing surfaces.

Thanks again,
Paul

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2015 03:16AM by Old California.
March 31, 2015 04:10AM
Great finds. Love the Louis XIV Deniers coin! Thanks for sharing!
March 31, 2015 08:52AM
Good digs Paul

Looks like a nice 1500 acres to keep busy on for a while!

Sounds like you've got a new friend/diggin buddy to share and experience the adventure with too :-)

Congrats and good luck with future finds.
March 31, 2015 12:28PM
Paul......... Wow! Exceptionally commendable........... and in many regards.
March 31, 2015 03:35PM
Great find Paul just shows there is so much to hunt and discover and these new machines do open up the ground. This time of year the coins and relics get pushed upword so spring is a good time to hunt.Maybe I can hitch a ride with Ray so we don't have too many people he lives about 20 minutes from me then we can ride together and then I can see what it is like driving out there so if there is a next time I maybe able to do it alone....wow that coin is killer

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2015 03:37PM by Lawrenzo.
March 31, 2015 03:42PM
Paul congrats again on the 1793 King Louis XVI 12 Deniers French coin!

If you ever need a gold country relic rookie to take hunting, give me a call - lol (I've yet to detect in the gold country).

Happy hunting,
Brian
March 31, 2015 06:10PM
Thanks Travis, Wayne, Tom, Lawrenzo and Brian,

It's neat when seeing someone new to the hobby take to it like we did, Knowing a long journey lies ahead of them but with patience and persistence the reward is well worth the pain and struggles of learning the hobby. Guess we've all been there, Nothing's is easy in this world including getting a good feel with our equipment and learning what it takes to put oneself onto a prime area.

The area is not a normal piece of property, It was once a major area with Steam Mill, Living quarters for the miners, It's own store, Salons, Gambling structures, allot of different type of businesses were on the property. Also, A couple of gardens and peppered with camp sites with thousands of people living in tents, rock cabins and a few wood structures on the property.

Below, Are a few more pics to give you an idea of the open areas rich with artifacts.

Thanks again forum friends,
Paul (Ca)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2015 06:13PM by Old California.
March 31, 2015 06:28PM
The coin you've found has a nice bit of history to it.

During the French revolution their was a shortage of bronze. And as the revolutionaries were anticlerical, they melted the bells from the church towers.
As it's an 1793, that is post revolution. So probably Bell-Bronze.

They sound great when you drop them on a table :-)

HH
Johnb
March 31, 2015 07:16PM
Paul that's beautiful country.

I grew up in the stix, but now live in the city, and for me half the fun in this hobby is enjoying to these beautiful remote sites, getting away from the masses, and making great finds while doing so is just the icing on the cake smiling smiley

HH,
Brian
March 31, 2015 07:16PM
Thanks Johnb,

That's good information on the bronze coin, Appreciate the infor.

Just knowing the coin may be a from a church bell is neat, I'll share this with the property owner.

Thanks again,
Paul