Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Poor man's coil cover

Posted by aguerrero56 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Poor man's coil cover
March 31, 2015 09:37PM
Got my new detector today and it doesn't come with a coil cover. I'm trying this stuff called crash wrap and its used on cars when glass is broken out. The film itself has one sticky side that doesnt leave residue when removed. It is very durable plastic that does not tear easy. Crash wrap is expensive to buy just for a tempory coil cover but if you got some laying around it might be worth a shot. If the film holds up for at least 3 or 4 hunts I'll be happy and re-apply a fresh film when needed. In the future I'll probably buy a real cover but for now this stuff will at least offer some kind of protection. Lets hear some of the things you have done to protect your coil without buying the official cover.
recovery
Re: Poor man's coil cover
March 31, 2015 09:52PM
I always wondered if there was a way to make an open coil into a smooth bottom. If that material is heavy and tough enough maybe that might work. Do auto parts stores carry it or just body shops?
March 31, 2015 09:58PM
I've made a decent coil cover for my 5" round Fisher coil. It's made from polypropylene sheet from a large shampoo bottle. I made a wooden former by cutting a circle through some MDF about 1/2" thick with an Abrafile saw blade, and used masking tape to fine-tune the gap. Heat the pp sheet over a gas stove, put in in the 'mould', press in the inner. It took some doing, to be honest, but I made a couple of spares, and I'll make some more from some slightly thicker sheet, one day.
I fixed it in place primarily with electrical tape around the edge, though when I gave it a refurb after a year, I used silicone sealant (RTV) between the cover and the coil bottom. I added fine corn flour to the silicone to force curing.
The tough slippery nature of polypropylene makes it good for covers, in my opinion.
My 5" coil gets some heavy abuse smashing through crop stubble, and the cover works well.
I'd also like a flat-bottomed cover for the Fisher 11 x 7 spider coil, maybe one day I'll come up with one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2015 10:00PM by Pimento.
March 31, 2015 11:10PM
TabWhisperer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I always wondered if there was a way to make an
> open coil into a smooth bottom. If that material
> is heavy and tough enough maybe that might work.
> Do auto parts stores carry it or just body shops?

I never seen crash wrap at the auto parts store but doesn't mean they can't carry it in the back. We get it in big rolls that cost about $100 from a supplier that caters to bodyshops.
April 01, 2015 01:19AM
Just be very careful about electrostatic build-up.
April 01, 2015 01:25AM
UPDATE: Sorry to inform you guys that my crash wrap coil cover is a major fail. Apparently the bottom edge of the coil is sharp enough to cut through the plastic with contact. Also, the exposed sticky side of the film was catching dirt. If I were you guys, I would take Pimento's advice on making a cover cause this idea stinks. I have let the MD community down once again lol. Excuse me while I go collect myself...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2015 01:27AM by aguerrero56.
April 01, 2015 01:27AM
At least ou found out something. It won't work. Nothing wrong with that.
April 01, 2015 01:30AM
The coil covers Garrett makes for that 8.5"x11" coil are cheap and break and chip to easy. I'm done wasting my money on them!! I coat mine with rhino liner.
April 01, 2015 02:22AM
THAT HURTS MY EYES

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
April 01, 2015 02:32AM
Lawrenzo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> THAT HURTS MY EYES

Yes, looking directly at the sun will hurt your eyes...........
April 01, 2015 10:42AM
Personally if i dont use a coil cover id highly recommend loctite marine epoxy. Smooth like peanut butter and workable with a wet finger...... tuff as nails and you dont have to take it off and clean it. For a dirt digger..... thats how id go. Oddly thou for a water hunter i put the loctite ON the coil cover because ive went thru more than my share of covers. Even with the epoxy on the cover..... if you forget to check it it wil wear thru in few weeks. This stuff isnt expensive and you can get it from Lowes.

Dew
April 01, 2015 03:27PM
Not the sun the coil cover I'm sure you don't have to use plactic. I think the coil will hold up with out it....mine looks really good

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!