Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

KEMPER CODE OF ETHICS

Posted by Anonymous User 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Anonymous User
KEMPER CODE OF ETHICS
April 01, 2015 12:04AM
1- I will not ask for permission unless absolutely necessary by law.
2- I will not use a shovel on public property unless I can without being seen using it.
3- I will hunt alone unless I have a hot partner.
4- I will not treat newbies like they aren't newbies.
5- I will not make a stupid you tube video like most others.
6- I will not use business cards unless I am a business.
7- I will not sleep with my detector.
8- I will not sleep with my neighbor's detector.
9- I will only use a detector that takes AA batteries.
10- I will not kiss up to forum authority.
11- I will not pretend I like somebody's finds.
12- I will pretend I follow a Code of Ethics.
13- I will follow a Code of Ethics at least 50% of detecting time.
Re: KEMPER CODE OF ETHICS
April 01, 2015 01:48AM
grinning smiley

Bryanna - Nebraska

Current - New to me but not new MXT Pro and T2 SE2 - Previous Minelab Sovereign GT, Minelab Safari, Whites DFX, Whites Eagle Spectrum
Smile its a good for you!
April 01, 2015 01:55AM
ooooooh, looks like we got us a bad boy here
Anonymous User
April 01, 2015 02:36AM
aguerrero56 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ooooooh, looks like we got us a bad boy here

[www.youtube.com]
April 01, 2015 03:31AM
Sarcastic or not I love it lol

Bey
April 01, 2015 08:18AM
Ha!.... Funny read.
Anonymous User
April 01, 2015 11:59AM
I think the new Code here pretty well covers it. Does anybody know what the original one is and by whom it was written ?
April 01, 2015 01:30PM
Ha ha ha!!

This Code of Ethics is going up on my refrigerator.

Pinpoint twice, dig once
April 01, 2015 02:32PM
so Kemper, has your state (or at least your city) outlawed detecting yet?
April 01, 2015 03:15PM
Kemper, you've got a good sense of humor, If you would have stopped at #11 this post would have been clever and funny.

12 and 13 changed the post from clever and funny to disturbing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2015 03:28PM by marcomo.
Anonymous User
April 01, 2015 09:23PM
canslawhero Wrote:
> so Kemper, has your state (or at least your city)
> outlawed detecting yet?

No,not yet. If people go asking for permission when it isn't needed or waltz through the park loaded for bear it probably will be. Not much of a problem here but I have witnessed some stuff that The different Code of Ethics I've seen don't address.
Anonymous User
April 01, 2015 09:28PM
marcomo Wrote:
> Kemper, you've got a good sense of humor, If you
> would have stopped at #11 this post would have
> been clever and funny.
>
> 12 and 13 changed the post from clever and funny
> to disturbing.

A person can't say they follow the Code of Ethics unless there is one that is " The" Code. There are so many around a person might as well make up their own. What is needed is a Code of Common Sense but who would be the authority on that ?
Anonymous User
April 01, 2015 10:10PM
pulltabMiner Wrote:
> Ha ha ha!!
>
> This Code of Ethics is going up on my
> refrigerator.

I left the amendments off so people could stick it on the back of their " business " cards. At least they can say where mine originated from. Hope they don't get asked about any of those others floating around. Mine is kinda more in line with today's reality. Would be interesting to know the origins of other ones. Maybe they were written for something else and the hobby just "stole" them.
April 01, 2015 10:55PM
One wonders why no detecting signs go up ought to cover it....
Anonymous User
April 01, 2015 11:33PM
Dan-Pa. Wrote:
> One wonders why no detecting signs go up ought to
> cover it....

When I detect in my city parks I go low key- no finds pouch,knee pads ,earphones or T handle shovel. "Protect the turf" so to speak. One day I met two detectorists in the park and they were fully loaded as I just described. This is one thing that gets parks shut down in my opinion. They weren't doing anything illegal or against a Code of Ethics but certainly weren't using common sense. They were not from my city. Ambassadors of the hobby?-not in my opinion. I think most of the blame probably goes to people that don't participate in a forum but there are plenty that do participate that seem to have the mindset of " I have my rights" which they do. Till they do something stupid and then authority exercises their rights and the hobbyist comes out on the short end of the deal. A Code of Ethics should touch on what is right vs what is wrong. While that can be quite extensive a short version should touch on what are pressing issues that makes the hobby look bad.
April 02, 2015 01:28AM
Funny smiling smiley

If you don't mind, which state are you from? I'm from the Central Coast Section of CA., Monterey Bay area.

El
Anonymous User
April 02, 2015 02:06AM
Elbert Wrote:
> Funny smiling smiley
>
> If you don't mind, which state are you from? I'm
> from the Central Coast Section of CA., Monterey
> Bay area.
>
> El

Missouri. That was too easy.
Anonymous User
April 02, 2015 02:41AM
Nobody knows where the Code of Ethics comes from? This doesn't look good on us does it ? How about "a" Code of Ethics ? See,I'm the only one that has one that anybody has a freakin' idea where it came from. I am hereby claiming to have the official metal detecting Code Of Ethics.
April 02, 2015 10:42PM
Well everyone knows my opinion on shovels. I lost alot of my sites to clowns like that. I had a person or 2 claim I was pointing fingers or was gloom and doom? All I can say when you start loosing your favorite site's you will see exactly what I mean. NUFF SAID.
Anonymous User
April 02, 2015 11:58PM
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
> Well everyone knows my opinion on shovels. I lost
> alot of my sites to clowns like that. I had a
> person or 2 claim I was pointing fingers or was
> gloom and doom? All I can say when you start
> loosing your favorite site's you will see exactly
> what I mean. NUFF SAID.

Certainly a concern. There is a time and place for any equipment but I don't know how many are willing to adjust to the area they are detecting.
April 04, 2015 11:07PM
Well I do try to follow the code of ethics as I have been taught. I just wish more would do it. I have been to some parks and playgrounds that have holes left all over the place, and I take the time to clean them up before I start to detect. I would really dislike going there only to find signs put up banning the use of a metal detector. Mr. K your's are funny, as long as that was the intent.
Anonymous User
April 05, 2015 12:49AM
Sammyboy Wrote:
> Well I do try to follow the code of ethics as I
> have been taught. I just wish more would do it. I
> have been to some parks and playgrounds that have
> holes left all over the place, and I take the time
> to clean them up before I start to detect. I would
> really dislike going there only to find signs put
> up banning the use of a metal detector. Mr. K
> your's are funny, as long as that was the intent.

The problem with "the" Code of Ethics is that there are many out there and where they originated is,at the least, somewhat of a mystery. Probably doesn't matter to most that claim to follow one as they probably feel they are doing the right thing. I think a person should use common sense and by doing that they should have most if not all issues covered that are in a Code of Ethics. As to who may have left the holes, my guess would lean toward someone that spent too much time studying detectors and very little time studying detecting.
April 05, 2015 02:11AM
Ah I see. Would it not be true that we all follow a code of ethics whether it be good or bad depending on the beliefs of the individual. Even common sense dictates we have to have standards to follow. Just because a written set of ethics is printed, and they seem perfectly right to follow, we as humans do tend to bend the rules just a little in our favor without actually going against the said code of ethics. You wrote,
"I think a person should use common sense and by doing that they should have most if not all issues covered that are in a Code of Ethics" To this I agree, to a point. I propose that whomever came up with this particular set of ethics that we as detector enthusiasts use, or at the very least attempt to follow were not written on a dinner napkin while having a cold beer, rather there was some serious thought put into it before putting it out for public use and scrutiny. And it is my humble opinion that the Code of Ethics we have read on this and other forums are a viable set of rules that if followed would insure our hobby for many years to come.
Anonymous User
April 05, 2015 02:49AM
Sammyboy Wrote:
> Ah I see. Would it not be true that we all follow
> a code of ethics whether it be good or bad
> depending on the beliefs of the individual. Even
> common sense dictates we have to have standards to
> follow. Just because a written set of ethics is
> printed, and they seem perfectly right to follow,
> we as humans do tend to bend the rules just a
> little in our favor without actually going against
> the said code of ethics. You wrote,
> "I think a person should use common sense and by
> doing that they should have most if not all issues
> covered that are in a Code of Ethics" To this I
> agree, to a point. I propose that whomever came up
> with this particular set of ethics that we as
> detector enthusiasts use, or at the very least
> attempt to follow were not written on a dinner
> napkin while having a cold beer, rather there was
> some serious thought put into it before putting it
> out for public use and scrutiny. And it is my
> humble opinion that the Code of Ethics we have
> read on this and other forums are a viable set of
> rules that if followed would insure our hobby for
> many years to come.

I don't think the Code of Ethics that I read are going to " insure our hobby for many years to come" Some of the most damaging things to our hobby are not mentioned in the ones I've seen. While people will have differing opinions on morality (ethics) issues I'll give just a couple brief examples - If a couple people are going around knocking on strangers doors until they get permission to detect a yard and then detect that yard ,make a video, share their adventure and encourage other to do the same, they may not be breaking a Code of Ethics but are they insuring our hobby? If a person goes into a park loaded for bear ,shovel,knee pads,etc and detects against the objections of other park patrons and argues their rights if told to leave by authority,are they insuring our hobby?

As a legal issue the examples I quoted would probably be within the legal spectrum but are damaging to the hobby. While there are Codes of Ethics flying around, they only touch lightly on what is ethical in today's hobby. If we as hobbyist are wanting to follow a Code of Ethics we should know where that Code originates,who has a voice in it's structure etc. As hobbyists we have no central leaders that we can say represent us.