Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Any token experts?

Posted by bigboar 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Any token experts?
April 01, 2015 12:31AM
found this tonight. I found a link that showed one that had sold on ebay and it stated it was a civil war token but no other info...any help appreciated

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2015 12:32AM by bigboar.
Re: Any token experts?
April 01, 2015 12:36AM
Well I see a Masons mark on the bottom photo.
April 01, 2015 12:40AM
Almost identical one on Richard's token db shows as:

W. JOHNSTON, / DIE / SINKER / CIN. O.
(Masonic symbols Below 13 Stars)
TC-273187; Fuld 165CF-4a; Masonic *** R-4
Cincinnati, Ohio (Hamilton County)
April 01, 2015 12:41AM
"a fairly scarce "Civil War Storecard Token" from a "W. Johnston" of 154 Everett Street in Cincinnati, Ohio. Mr. Johnston was a "Die Sinker" in the business of manufacturing "Civil War Tokens" for himself and others.

The Civil War caused all the normal coins to disappear from circulation. This caused difficulties when transacting business. Postage Stamps were used but were unpopular because they quickly became soiled and the gum made them stick together. A bright merchant, like Mr. Johnston, began striking copper cent sized tokens and used them to advertise his business. He probably struck “Patriotic” or anonymous types and sold them to other merchants at less than a cent each. Both businesses profiting.

The quick popularity and public acceptance of these, caused the U.S. Mint to stop producing the much more expensive copper-nickel cents and change over to the now familiar bronze alloy. It is no coincidence that the first bronze Indian Cents were dated 1864.

Weight: 3.16 Gram, 19 Millimeter, Copper.

"U. S. Civil War Store Cards", (2nd Edition) by George and Melvin Fuld #165CF-1a / 1056.

Where it is listed as Rarity 3 (500-1000 pieces known)."

heres yours [coins.ha.com]

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2015 12:46AM by Keith Southern.
April 01, 2015 12:43AM
Good find bigboar!! I like it.
April 01, 2015 12:52AM
Nice token and great back story on it.
April 01, 2015 12:58AM
wow Keith, thanks for all the info!

I found this in my backyard tonight with the ctx. I have found 8 largies, a 3 cent nickel variety, half dime, 2 indians and numerous other relics. I have pounded the place with numerous machines but it has dried up. tonight I decided to get on my hands and kness and crawl through the honeysuckle just to satisfy my curiosity. looks like l might should hit it some more before it gets real thick. Its tough hunting though...

thanks TN!
April 01, 2015 01:34AM
cleaned it off with a little soap and water...does it look like like an error from a die crack on the left side lower leading to the left edge to anyone else?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2015 01:36AM by bigboar.