Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

I made the infantry

Posted by triplehooked 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
I made the infantry
April 01, 2015 01:02AM
Back to the button/nickel site for a couple hours tonight. I was able to finish gridding off the main area, but still searching for where the outhouse would have been. Anyhow, a fun hunt with another V nickel (1901), a coupe of head stamps, misc lead, including a couple of either buck shot or small caliber musket balls, and my second civil war button. This one with an I in the middle and superior quality on the back. The highlight of this site for me....
Re: I made the infantry
April 01, 2015 01:11AM
Nice 1850's I button..

Sweet find!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
April 01, 2015 01:16AM
nice finds! I like the excelsior brand thingy...old motorcycle stuff is cool...
April 01, 2015 01:50AM
Travis, at the rate you're going it take long till you have a 5 gallon bucket full of finds. I wish I had as productive a sites as yours. I'm envious. Old California (Paul) has got some good sites too. Almost wants to make me pack and go "California or busts"!!!!!
April 01, 2015 01:58AM
I never thought of that Excelsior button in relation to the motorcycle, just thought coveralls. That's pretty cool...

Keith, so the I button is not necessarily Civil war, but manufactured in the relative time frame of it?interesting...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2015 02:19AM by triplehooked.
April 01, 2015 02:07AM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Travis, at the rate you're going it take long till
> you have a 5 gallon bucket full of finds. I wish
> I had as productive a sites as yours. I'm
> envious. Old California (Paul) has got some good
> sites too. Almost wants to make me pack and go
> "California or busts"!!!!!

Right now it's kind of a mad dash to hunt these sites before crops are in. I still have a half dozen or so to go...you should make a trip north and help me out! Lol. I'll be detecting another 1850s site tomorrow, first time. I couldn't help but stop on my way home tonight and swing a coil for literally a minute or two just to see how "busy" it sounds. It's loaded with iron, just how I like it.
April 01, 2015 02:18AM
Believe me, if I could I would. Bring the Racer and try it out. I'd be like a kid in a candy store up there. Down here, poor as dirt. When you make one good find you howl at the moon. I will say it's challenging though.
April 01, 2015 04:21AM
Great finds Triplehooked!!!!!!! Very nice!!!!!!
April 02, 2015 04:35PM
Great finds especially the button, Never found one of those that's a good score for sure!

Congrats!
Paul
April 02, 2015 06:52PM
Nice finds, good to see another California relic hunter on here smiling smiley
April 02, 2015 07:08PM
Californian? Travis, You from California? Never new that.

Congrats again with your recent scores!

Paul (Ca)
April 02, 2015 07:44PM
I recall finding a button with the word Excelsior written on it. After some searching, I found that it was a New York militia button from the 1890's period. It was shaped kinda strange......it wasn't domed.......the top was flat. Anyway, I considered it a nice find. Stuff ain't gotta be Civil War related to be considered 'great finds'. Well done.
April 02, 2015 08:41PM
Old California Wrote:
> Californian? Travis, You from California? Never
> new that.
>
> Congrats again with your recent scores!
>
> Paul (Ca)

Nope, I think Cal Cobra was referring to you Paul...aka old California... Well I'm not out digging Phoenix buttons or '01' S dimes like you fellas on the West coast! But I'm having allot of fun and learning a bit of history.Thanks guys.

Kevin I agree. One of my coolest finds still is a WWII dog tag that I found about four years ago. I was able to locate the owners son, who made a three hour trip to come pick it up and see the 'old farm' he grew up on. It was pretty cool.
April 02, 2015 08:58PM
There are various Excelsior buttons, from NY militia, to pharmacy concoctions, to motorcycles. I think the one posted is a pharmacy variety.
April 02, 2015 09:53PM
Not trying to be the bearer of bad news but that Exelsior brand Button is off a pair of overalls from the 1900-1920's..

Theres tons of different ones...but Excelsior was real popular around 1910...

Ive tossed hundereds of those name buttons over the years in a jar ...Not sure what ill ever do with them,, LOL!!

Heres a Michigan dealer in Exlesior brand from 1916..[books.google.com]

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2015 10:14PM by Keith Southern.
April 02, 2015 09:59PM
Lol....that's what I originally was thinking as well. I've dug a few of them, albeit smaller. But it does sound like a much cooler item if it were off of an old motorcycle....Funny how widely used that word/brand was. I knew of the bikes, of course, didn't know if the military affiliation, nor the pharmaceutical connection. I'll settle for the overall button!
April 02, 2015 11:43PM
That sounds about right Keith. We sift an old dumpsite out in a silver mining boom town in Nevada that started in 1901, and we find loads of those buttons, so that would explain it.

Keith Southern Wrote:
> Not trying to be the bearer of bad news but that
> Exelsior brand Button is off a pair of overalls
> from the 1900-1920's..
>
> Theres tons of different ones...but Excelsior was
> real popular around 1910...
>
> Ive tossed hundereds of those name buttons over
> the years in a jar ...Not sure what ill ever do
> with them,, LOL!!