Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Keith Southern a Racer question???

Posted by tnsharpshooter 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Keith Southern a Racer question???
April 01, 2015 02:50AM
I know some on here have commented on how tight the stock coil cover fits on coil. Could this tightness of the cover put undue stress on coil and make it more prone to overloading at higher gain levels?? There's a video on FM where a gent said his machine would lock up in overload, take the cover off and all is fine. I've never put my cover on my Racer's stock coil. Granted I haven't used it much about 2 hours, but I have had no problems.
Re: Keith Southern a Racer question???
April 01, 2015 03:00AM
He's got a short shovel...............and didn't get the memo from Dilek.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2015 03:10AM by Jack Flynn.
April 01, 2015 03:39PM
I will try the bigger coil on Sat but so far the small coil seems about right. The overload is also used when you disc out targets so you won't hear a tone..when it overloads it over rides the disc and that will be great for large iron or relics on the surface

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
April 01, 2015 06:38PM
I dont see it could be that TIGHT to warp the coil..

yet at the same time anything is possible I guess..

has anyone scanned the cover to make sure it does no respond ?

I dont have one...so cant say?

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
April 01, 2015 06:39PM
Funny you asked. I scanned my cover this morning. Notta a peep, nothing.
April 01, 2015 06:43PM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Funny you asked. I scanned my cover this morning.
> Notta a peep, nothing.

Not a sound here either, but i think my new coil overloads easier with the coil cover on, but also the weather was somewhat cold at the time of testing, have to try again when it gets warmer.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2015 06:45PM by Etsija82.
April 01, 2015 06:49PM
The cover is a bit more rigid than most others I've seen. Definitely more rigid than the stock minelab covers. And in colder weather the plastic, I could see putting the coil in more of a bind vs warm(er).
So much so the detector may behave correctly until you start upping the gain. Seems 70 is where things start amping up.
April 01, 2015 07:05PM
I could see maybe a problem if its cold/dry air and some sort of static charge is created..the cover could be made of some sort of poly and the friction of joining the cover to the coil creates a static charge of sorts ?

I doubt its warpage... Static charge maybe??? just a stab..

if it does it again take a bounce dryer sheet and wipe the cover and coil down and see if it stops the overload..

Keith.

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla