Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

IF.... Makro was to come out next year with an improved Racer II, what Improvements would you like to see?

Posted by possum mo 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Its pretty awesome the way it is, but Id like to see,
A. Thicker ears on the 7 x 11 coil. That plastic is rather thin on the current coil.
B. Memory so the settings are saved when turning off/ on.
C. Expanded VDI numerical scale ,either 0-200, or a smaller iron range , and expanded mid and upper range,
to separate out the coins/ aluminum readings. That would make it a more awesome park machine!

HH
Its already coming out as the Nokta Impact soon with tone break,Iron audio etc
I would like to see a tunable overload adjustment without loosing sensitivity/depth, it overloads far too easily IMHO.

Also expanded VDI scale, more similar to the F75 vs the T2.

Don't care about the memory settings to be honest, the thing is so easy to setup, even with the defaults, it's OK. Although interestingly it must have some memory capabilities as it's able to save depth CM/Inch setting, and a few other settings can be retained IIRC.

Dump the bluetooth and do a zero-lag wireless headphone setup like some of the others are doing, even if it's analog.

Keep the auto-tracking, I like auto-tracking.

And as always, more depth is always appreciated smiling smiley
A devise that on the 3rd Whine 6oz. of plastic explosive does it's thing. LOL
How about go out and get some finds.
Ughhh ooooooh----some big toes in the woodpile. BTW "LOL" means it's a Light Hearted post.
Lose the VCO in two tone.
Straight shaft
Power switch moved to control panel
Adjustable tone breaks
Mixed mode audio option
WATERPROOF

Kenny
[www.youtube.com]
Expand VDI's. Big mistep if you want the american market IMO

Either out and out assignable tones for VDI's or put zinc/minie ball type conductors not as a High tone. I believe that certain tabs are just under a zinc and will like high tone in D3 currently. I dont want to watch a screen. I want to use the audio and reference the VDI as needed.

Ive come to appreciate minelab's cursor system. Certain bounces give target ID clues that I cant process via flashing numbers

A hot all metal mode. Will have mine soon, but I think I saw reports it wasnt much deeper than disc. Whats the point in using it?

A larger coil available that isnt so large it loses sensitivity to coin sze objects or is a liability seperation wise. The 10x12 or 13" detechs come to mind. something between the stock and large COre coils

Again will have mine soon, but can see the overload being an issue on some of my sites
I would change NOTHING at all! Great machine as is. It finds the goods. Can't figure out why change something so simple that works so well.
deadlift Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Expand VDI's. Big mistep if you want the american
> market IMO
>
> Either out and out assignable tones for VDI's or
> put zinc/minie ball type conductors not as a High
> tone. I believe that certain tabs are just under a
> zinc and will like high tone in D3 currently. I
> dont want to watch a screen. I want to use the
> audio and reference the VDI as needed.
>
> Ive come to appreciate minelab's cursor system.
> Certain bounces give target ID clues that I cant
> process via flashing numbers
>
> A hot all metal mode. Will have mine soon, but I
> think I saw reports it wasnt much deeper than
> disc. Whats the point in using it?
>
> A larger coil available that isnt so large it
> loses sensitivity to coin sze objects or is a
> liability seperation wise. The 10x12 or 13"
> detechs come to mind. something between the stock
> and large COre coils
>
> Again will have mine soon, but can see the
> overload being an issue on some of my sites

Deadlift, the AM will get you a little deeper in higher mineral soil. NASA Tom's testing was more neutral/inert soil test. In AM even in neutral/inert soil Racer will give TID at slightly deeper depths than 2 tone/3tone. The overload is not an issue. As you get your unit and progress with it you'll see. Actually the overload when it happens, the detector is telling you something. This something-many other detectors don't convey. As far as watching a screen. I don't either until I hear something I like the sound of. Granted hunting relics in more primitive sites, sure go by tone only and dig away. But when detecting in areas loading with modern trash, I think you'll find yes the tone takes priority, but I think you would be making a mistake to disregard/not look at the meter at all on this jewel of a detector. I look forward to your post/finds with your future Racer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2015 01:33AM by tnsharpshooter.
I like the racer just how it is now. But if they were to make a higher end model I'd like to see

1. Strait shaft that's telescopic
2. All metal, 2 tone, 3 tone, multi tone.
3. Power button on faceplate
4. Keep settings until changed
5. Expanded vdi mode for cherry picking "surgical mode" . Maybe have the vdi scale not etched on the screen but adjusts to which mode your in. Say you want to run standard mode then the vdi is 0-99. Or if you want to cherry pick use "surgical mode" and the vdi is 0-200.
Would also love to see a waterproof machine. Waterproof to atleast 30ft. Multi tone. Telescopic stem so it's easy to just wade or dive.
I know folks will maybe find this strange. This applies to current Racer and any future Racer 2 releases. Offer the machine with small coil only!!!!! I feel Makro should offer packages with small coil only, stock coil only, and pro pack (both coils). And ditch the hats and T-shirts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2015 01:47AM by tnsharpshooter.
How about if they read this and make a new machine they give me a refund...I would say if a couple of years they make a new machine then that would be fair..but how about iron vol, lighter, reactivity control. audio overlaod control, better wirelss headphones, better all metal and metal mix so you can use both at the same time...maybe one more freq so you have at least two but can use one coil, well I'm starting to create a deus but what the hell USB for updates. Ah hell I'll just buy another deus I love that machine but I'll keep the racer

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2015 02:33AM by Lawrenzo.
I'd like to see a 5 year warranty instead of 2.
Would love to see the next generation waterproof.
Cant help but be very intrigued by what they could do in a unit w/a higher end msrp...Somebody needs to give us a fast, lightweight, EMI resitant, high conductor killer. The decider for me on the F19/racer deal was the F19s love for tiny things...I see the benifits w/on edge coins, etc. But I also dont want to chase birdshot...Its said khz isnt as big a factor on diff conductors anymore, yet the racer is reported slightly hotter in this regard than the core on similar platform. Is it the 1khz operating freq? What's the same platform capable of it operated in say, the omega range?
You all jumped on this Makro/Nokta bandwagon because they were new, listened to the customers, and were going places other manufacturers weren't going. All the while, bashing the other companies for just rehashing the same old models and not doing anything new or innovative. But the suggestions you make for future models of machines for Makro...sound awful familiar. Why? Because they are all features currently found on other models of detectors from those same companies that ya'll said weren't giving you the features everybody was wanting smiling smiley Am I the only one seeing that?

My wanted list...a pulse machine with a fast recovery speed and some form of Iron discrimination. I agree with TNSS on the package items though. The thought was nice but I could do without a plain looking hat and t-shirt two sizes too small for me lol
Am I the only one seeing that?

I sure do, what is just hilarious to me Daniel is the ones that really don't know what the machine is capable of wanting to change it. This machine is simple! Just the way I like it.............
I wouldn't change the machine. For the $$$$ tops IMO. For a one detector household/detectorist this is the one for the loot- Racer propack. The super serious detectorist will most likely always have multiple machines, but this shouldn't take away from the fact the Racer is pretty darn versatile creature; especially for it's operating frequency and simplicity to operate. Imagine if this baby would have existed 30 years ago!!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2015 03:16AM by tnsharpshooter.
So far, after about 10 days of use, I like the Racer the way it is.
The places that seem like they could be made even better are:

1. Some way to distinguish all the targets that give an ID of 82.
(The sound gives me a good clue, but too many things that
are greatly different come in at 82. I'm accumulating a list.)

2. A stronger bolt to attach the coil to the lower rod. (Yes, I broke mine
already. I'm using the spare that came with my Pro Package while I wait
for a replacement.)

3. Notching. This is not a critical missing feature, but it seems like it would
be easy to add, and in some situations it would be extremely useful.
I'd like to see the capability to specify at least two notching ranges, and to
make them either exclusive (ignore signals in these ranges) or inclusive
(respond to signals only in these ranges) at the user's option. A feature
like this would let me try "cherry picking" with various settings in different
environments. Ideally, I could do notching in any of the four modes, but
it's less important to me in beach mode, I think.

4. Variable sound pitch points in three-tone mode. I find that I'd like to try
running my machine so that the high tone is only for ID of 84 or 85 or higher,
and other times using the current point where it changes from mid to high.
After more experience, I might find I'd like to experiment with a different
point between low and mid, also.

5. A different location for the on/off/volume switch. The end of the rod is
too vulnerable of a position. I really want to stand the detector on end
(on the on/off switch) when I'm changing coils or extending/compressing
the rod. I have to force myself NOT to, to avoid damaging the switch.
I predict many switches will be damaged this way.

6. If the cost is about the same, I'd like an extra lower rod in the Pro Package
instead of the T-shirt and cap. The two coils (11" and 5") are both excellent,
and I find that I want to switch them frequently, depending on search conditions.
A lower rod for each is the best way to do this, especially considering how
weak the plastic coil bolt is.

These are the things that occur to me after a lot of usage for 10 days.
As I said, I like the Racer A LOT the way it is now. These items above
are simply things that I think would make me like it even more.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2015 05:51AM by TallTom.
Update on #2 of my list of Racer improvements I'd like to see:

I received my replacement spare bolts, both from the US distributor
and directly from Turkey. I was hoping at least one would be a
heavier-duty bolt, but they appear to be the same weight and
strength as the original that broke. Too bad, but at least I have
a couple of spares now and can tighten my coil securely without
worrying too much about the bolt snapping again.
After almost a week Im noticing the pinpoint trigger has a fragile feel and the rubber wants to slide off. May be nothimg but I like to ratchet it down and use the trigger often, not sure how long it will hold up. Overall very happy with performance. Machine definetely has some power. I felt fairly proficient with the audio after the 2nd hunt. Still need time to learn the lower conductor scale.
These have already been mentioned but I would like to see notch capabilities, save settings, bigger gap between zinc and copper/dime area.
I found a trick to it yesterday in my soil. It wants to report deeper things as iron on the initial overall hit and sweeps across it. But if you pinpoint the exact center of the target and do sort of the "minelab wiggle" in a real tight fashion over the center, the tones and VDIs jump more into the non ferrous range for me. I can now start to eek out good numbers on targets 6-8 inches in the rough soil. Not bad.

I love the lower rod idea. Scratch the hat and shirt and include an additional lower rod for the Pro pack.
i wonder how well a lower frequency racer would work for park hunting? Maybe less sensitive to aluminum and more so for coins, higher conductors.
they have yet to get a decent pair of wireless headphones working as good as the WS5s
88junior Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'd like to see a 5 year warranty instead of 2.

I prefer a two year warranty that is transferable as opposed to a 5 year one to the original owner only
Imagine that!smileys with beer