Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Seal of the Bishop of Lund (in Sweden) from 1325

Posted by lytle78 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Seal of the Bishop of Lund (in Sweden) from 1325
April 13, 2015 06:56PM
Found by my Danish friend Mogens. Funny, when I detected with him last summer we found crap! This, on the other hand is a really big deal. It's in Danish TV news.

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2015 06:58PM by lytle78.
Re: Seal of the Bishop,of Lund 1325
April 13, 2015 06:58PM
NICE!!
Re: Seal of the Bishop of Lund (in Sweden) from 1325
April 13, 2015 07:04PM
Not bad for a 690 year old piece I guess....I mena if you like thats sort of thing....

Ahh heck who am I kidding.....Im beyond speechless...and Yes Iam also quite Jealous and envious of not being able to dig such items ...

Heck around here if you can get a 200 year old piece you think you have done something....Over there I guess they toss the 200 year old stuff in the trash box...

If I could figure out a way to do it I would move to Europe for a few years...SERIOUSLY...

tell your friend congratulations ..Super Awesome piece ..!!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
April 13, 2015 07:23PM
It really is a big deal, this Archbishop, Karl, was a "kingmaker" literlymin Scandinavia. The seal was his official signature and losing it was a huge problem! Speculation is that this occurred in 1325 when he traveled overland from Lind in Sweded, down through Jutland in. Denmark on his way to negotiate about Scandinavian politics with the pope, who at that time resided in Avgninon in France.

Here's Google maps route from Lund in Sweden to Padborg in Denmark where it was found. The way to Avignon would have been south through Grtmany. The modern border is very close to the find site - which is next to an ancient roadway.

All finds in Denmark which date to before the Reformation (about 1530) are National Treasure and the finder is obliged to report the find and turn it in to the local museum. If it is precious metal, a finders fee is paid based on the value of the metal (not the market value of the item).

This system works well for the Danes and detectorists take a lot of pride in their status as Amateur Archaeologists. Permission to hunt private land is usually easy to obtain since everybody knows the rules. Detector clubs often organize outings in cooperation with professional historians and archaeologists. Most everyone takes great pride in uncovering and preserving their National History and Heritage.

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2015 07:27PM by lytle78.
April 13, 2015 08:16PM
That is a most excellent find!

I have a friend that lives in England, and they don't excited about finding 1800's coins, unless of course they're gold, gold coins of any era are welcome, but they really get revved up with hammereds and later period coins and relics.

Heck in California just breaking into the 1700's is a rare club to be in, 1600's, almost impossible (save for those Chinese cache coins).
April 13, 2015 09:24PM
"All finds in Denmark which date to before the Reformation (about 1530) are National Treasure and the finder is obliged to report the find and turn it in to the local museum. If it is precious metal, a finders fee is paid based on the value of the metal (not the market value of the item)."

To bad our state or/or federal government can't seem to come up with something similar.