Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Curious on XP Deus and depth concerns (im getting one)

Posted by DigDugNY 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Curious on XP Deus and depth concerns (im getting one)
April 17, 2015 05:31AM
I have a couple hunts in with my Etrac so far this year and I'm starting to notice that the sunray probe and some other accesories I got for it have added a decent amount of weight and its making my shoulder hurt. Idk if I have it setup correctly or to my height or what but I'm going to give it a few more tries to see if I can figure something out. I know they make the harness but because of work im short on time and i feel like that would be a hassle to take on an off.

If i cant handle the weight I'm thinking of maybe trying the Deus. Only problem is that I hear a lot about depth issues. But at the same time I heard if you have it set up correctly it can get decent depth compared to other high end models. It's just a thought, but I'd like to just hear some opinions if possible

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2015 10:27PM by 'Tectorist.
Re: Curious on XP Deus and depth concerns
April 17, 2015 09:31AM
My personal opinion is that the E trac is a little deeper. But the Deus will hear coins in the iron and trash that the Etrac will not hear. So I think the issue is a push. I love the Minelabs, but came to realize that putting up with pain after a hunt was not worth it. This hobby is supposed to be fun. There is nothing fun about eating Advil and losing sleep. You are darn sure not the first person to have weight problems with the E trac. If it was light and a pleasure to swing I would darn sure have one in the arsenal.
April 17, 2015 10:46AM
Yes when you added the Sunray it added to an already nose heave machine. Not sure what other assorted you added to the machine. The stock coil is heavy also. Changing to 5x10 or something along those lines will help a good bit without a lot of depth loss and do better in trashy sites.

The Deus is deeper than a lot of folks think. I have dug 9" pennies with it. The problem is the id at depth is crap but some don't mind that. Just my thoughts is that if older silver coins are your main target lighten up the etrac and learn it.

Ps. Another thing on the Deus is some have reported that it does not do well with coins on edge. I sold mine because of it lack of id on deeper coins so I can't say either way.
I do have a tendency to believe it as there are several Deus users on here and to yet I have not seen anyone repute that claim. If I still owned mine I would have tested it for sure once I heard of such problems.
I think that there are probably as many coins on edge to some degree as there are laying flat.

As info only.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2015 11:09AM by Pac man.
April 17, 2015 02:15PM
Pac man Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes when you added the Sunray it added to an
> already nose heave machine. Not sure what other
> assorted you added to the machine. The stock coil
> is heavy also. Changing to 5x10 or something along
> those lines will help a good bit without a lot of
> depth loss and do better in trashy sites.
>
> The Deus is deeper than a lot of folks think. I
> have dug 9" pennies with it. The problem is the id
> at depth is crap but some don't mind that. Just
> my thoughts is that if older silver coins are your
> main target lighten up the etrac and learn it.
>
> Ps. Another thing on the Deus is some have
> reported that it does not do well with coins on
> edge. I sold mine because of it lack of id on
> deeper coins so I can't say either way.
> I do have a tendency to believe it as there are
> several Deus users on here and to yet I have not
> seen anyone repute that claim. If I still owned
> mine I would have tested it for sure once I heard
> of such problems.
> I think that there are probably as many coins on
> edge to some degree as there are laying flat.
>
>
> As info only.

Thanks for the response. I've had the etrac for almost 3 years now so I've definitely learned it...just might have to look for something lighter if my shoulder keeps hurting. I was also thinking the F75 LTD 2 as an option. The one thing that intrigues me with the Deus is the upgrading. I hear a major update is coming this summer which should make things a whole lot better..
April 17, 2015 02:23PM
I have taken the Racer to a place I pounded with the Deus. I found no more coins with it. So I either found coins on edge with the Deus or the Racer is not capable of finding them either. Is the site hunted out? There may be a coin or two where hundreds were taken, but you will work your butt of for anything in the coin department.
April 17, 2015 03:35PM
I was getting 13 inches on three ringers in carolina and about 8" on mini balls to me sometimes it starts getting too deep its all about the GB and the Dics and the sens and the TX power and a few other things to get a lot of depth

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
April 18, 2015 01:00AM
Funny you mention coins on edge...

I took the Racer to a spot ...bad dirt but pretty clean as far as trash....small site about 12 x 12 ....dug some wheat backs....hunted it pretty hard it was a clean spot...then went and got a MXT with 6x10 coil and went back over the spot and dug two slap slap whisper hits...at about 6 inches on one and about 5 inches on the other found nothing else...

WEIRD....!! I would of said I just missed them but they both were narow tight faint slap slap reports..both hits on edge..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2015 01:48AM by Keith Southern.
April 19, 2015 07:07AM
Has anyone switched from an etrac to the deus and did you regret it, like it better, or indifferent?
April 19, 2015 09:30AM
You will miss your tones. You will miss the depth horsepower. But the E trac just like every other detector out there has it's share of limitations. The Deus is a fine detector. It is a pleasure to swing. It is a major difference from the E trac in it's hunting style. You will probably hate it at first, but give it time.
April 19, 2015 11:56AM
In looser soil Deus generally deeper than CTX/etrac. In hard pack, CtX/etrac has the edge. In tilled/plowed soil Deus clear winner. And deep nickels, Deus a big edge.
April 19, 2015 12:24PM
There is a guy on one of the Facebook relic hunting groups that just done an air test video with the Deus and 9 inch coil. He doesnt say his settings but you can watch and hear him getting a signal on a .58 minie at around 13 inches according to his ruler. Around 14+ on a J hook too.

He goes on to say they weren't factory presets but were his custom settings and that he would share them if anyone was interested. I dont know bout you...but my eTrac or CTX wouldnt come close to that kind of depth or distance.
April 19, 2015 04:59PM
Thanks for the replies. This is just a what if question for the sake of not wanting to hurt after every hunt. I just want to be sure if I did have to switch that I at least wouldn't be missing out. I sure do love the Etrac. I'm in New York and our soil is rocky/somewhat loose
April 19, 2015 05:09PM
Daniel...fbs does not air test well.
April 19, 2015 05:40PM
Yeah and in my neck of the woods...doesn't do well in ground either.
April 20, 2015 02:58PM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
> Yeah and in my neck of the woods...doesn't do well
> in ground either.

That's something I've been thinking about as well. I don't seem to get the depth that I know the etrac is capable of in my ground. I still find a lot but none of it is that deep. Maybe the coins just aren't that deep, idk...but I see a guy on YouTube sscindercoop who lives not too far away that uses the Deus and it seems to be killer around here
April 20, 2015 07:51PM
I had the Deus and in my moderately minus iron mineralized soil the VID cut out at around 7" or less. Even when the the ground is loamy/sandy, those iron flakes are there and makes the ID jump around.
The E-Trac/CTX could get down to 8" and 9" respectively, with the E-Trac occasionally touching the latter. But like you the pain the day after a hunt (and days after) was just not worth it.
I have an AKA Signum and have not looked back. Deeper CONSISTENTLY than ANY machine I have tried in my ground. The question is, will she go deep in your ground as well.

The Signum doesn't have the separation of a Deus but I'm a coin hunter and happy with bettr than E-Trac separation, perhaps it is near the CTX but that is hard to say without a side by side.
I look forward to Minelab having an E-Trac Go. Really, had they done that to begin with (no CTX), the game would nearly have been over. Amazing how many people have been driven
away by poor weight / ergonomics. I do miss that silver wobble...

Albert
April 20, 2015 08:10PM
"I have an AKA Signum and have not looked back. Deeper CONSISTENTLY than ANY machine I have tried in my ground. "

Just how much deeper Albert????
April 21, 2015 05:20AM
The thing I like is the upgrading. It's an awesome concept and I actually emailed XP about some of my concerns and they answered back saying

"Yes we will improve target ID at depth and iron rejection in the V4.0, but we cannot answer precisely on this subject as it is too soon for the instance. it will be available probably at the end of the summer or a little after."

I'm definitely going to keep digging and talking to people and watching videos
April 22, 2015 08:13PM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> "I have an AKA Signum and have not looked back.
> Deeper CONSISTENTLY than ANY machine I have tried
> in my ground. "
>
> Just how much deeper Albert????

I haven't hunted at all in a year or so (since I started playing music) but I promise to get out in the next month or so.
Well, I have hit 10" on a low conducting Nickel coin. CLEAN AND CLEAR signal. Judging by the solid hits thus far, I'll say with confidence
that the Signum (in my ground) is going to get around 2". It has already gotten 1" more with a hard signal, so I don't think another inch would
at all be stretching things... But I'll let ya know. ;-) I am really looking forward to their 2 frequency (simultaneous) machine whenever that comes out.
That said, I would jump back to a light E-Trac/CTX Go like machine! (As would many others).

Best,
Albert
April 22, 2015 08:35PM
Hope you have deep pockets earthman, They are quoting a price of $12,000. They are still working on it. Im sure the price will drop, who would pay that?
April 23, 2015 08:52PM
possum mo Wrote:
> Hope you have deep pockets earthman, They are
> quoting a price of $12,000. They are still
> working on it. Im sure the price will drop, who
> would pay that?

Think that is 1200 (and another brought up that mistake here before.)
So, basically going from 800 to 1200 is reasonable.

ps - My pockets are not that deep, not even close! LOL

Albert
Re: Curious on XP Deus and depth concerns (im getting one)
April 23, 2015 10:28PM
Welp I did my research and talked to people and decided to trade my Etrac for the Deus...I just think the positives outweigh the negatives for my situation and where I hunt. Plus my body will thank me. Looking forward to whats to come
April 25, 2015 06:42PM
Hoping I can get some good tips
April 25, 2015 07:38PM
Buy Andy's book for the Deus. Its a decent read. I read it 3x before getting my Deus and felt like I had a good grasp on settings and what they do, etc. In 20 minutes of getting it off the UPS truck, I had it doing everything the Racer can do and doing several things much better. It passes the "kleenex box test" pretty easily whereas the Racer will only sound off on the shallow trash piece and not the coin below. Very fascinating and versatile machine. I plan on keeping mine.
April 25, 2015 08:37PM
'Tectorist Wrote:
> Has anyone switched from an etrac to the deus and
> did you regret it, like it better, or indifferent?

I did and yes I did! Went from finding good stuff to about having to dig everything for the good stuff. Three years of having a high trash to good finds ratio. When I aquired the CoRe and saw the difference bye bye Frenchie..........quick!
April 25, 2015 09:15PM
Kleenex Box Test? Do tell Do tell!

Daniel Tn Wrote:
> Buy Andy's book for the Deus. Its a decent read. I
> read it 3x before getting my Deus and felt like I
> had a good grasp on settings and what they do,
> etc. In 20 minutes of getting it off the UPS
> truck, I had it doing everything the Racer can do
> and doing several things much better. It passes
> the "kleenex box test" pretty easily whereas the
> Racer will only sound off on the shallow trash
> piece and not the coin below. Very fascinating and
> versatile machine. I plan on keeping mine.

Bryanna - Nebraska

Current - New to me but not new MXT Pro and T2 SE2 - Previous Minelab Sovereign GT, Minelab Safari, Whites DFX, Whites Eagle Spectrum
Smile its a good for you!
April 25, 2015 10:27PM
Bryanna -- Go read my post here: [www.findmall.com]

It explains the "kleenex box test". Basically I wanted test things on a 2D level instead of testing separation based on targets placed side by side on the same level. I figure coins are heavier than their aluminum canslaw piece counterparts and will be deeper in the ground. Especially older ones. So a test where the items are all on the same level is...well, not true to real world. The kleenex box or shoe box...easily lets me put a coin on the bottom and trash on top and to the sides of the coin. The point of it is to see if the detector can pick out the coin from the shallower trash and how it IDs it if/when it does. So far, between the Racer, Deus, and F19...the best they can do is tell you there are multiple targets. Those pretty little high tone 80 VDIs are nowhere to be found.

My personal belief based on testing and real world hunting...all 3 machines are good at picking targets from IRON. But you better dig everything in iron that gives a non iron beep REGARDLESS of ID. I wouldn't like any of the 3 for coin hunting dense modern trash for anything more than modern clad. Just my opinion. I think the CTX with 6 inch coil is the tops of what I've used for coins in modern trash. ESPECIALLY when trash is so thick you are co-locating targets. In my soil, away from the trash, its not as deep as the Racer is with stock coil. And the Deus can be set really fast to work the iron better. Deus seems to handle my ground better as well.
April 25, 2015 10:40PM
I often tell people to use a spool off of electrical type..lay coin in center lay nail across the spool..

See what happens..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
April 25, 2015 10:45PM
Try the XP Deus on a quarter on edge, you might be surprised!
April 26, 2015 10:47AM
Yes Keith. I've seen your tests with the roll of electrical tape....years ago.