Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Garrett Pro Pointer vs Whites TRX

Posted by robertj298 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Garrett Pro Pointer vs Whites TRX
April 17, 2015 12:58PM
My old pro pointer is going on the blink so which pin pointer do you prefer and why?
Re: Garrett Pro Pointer vs Whites TRX
April 17, 2015 01:10PM
Speaking from my experience, the White's TRX has two good features.
One is the ability to ratchet down the sensitivity to track down/pinpoint the target.
The other is to better appreciate my Garrett Pro Pointer!

I would not buy the TRX again. It's vibration is quite weak.
And mine started falsing not long after I bought it, and now it falses just about every hole I dig.
(It just starts vibrating and won't stop until I push the button.)
It's going back to Whites, and I wish I could get my money back.

Can't help you with what's the best one right now, but I cannot recommend the TRX.

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
April 17, 2015 01:14PM
this is all just personal opinion but I liked my original propointer better than the trx.. I got the new propointer AT about a month ago though and it is my favorite by far. I would spend the extra $10-15 and get the propointer AT over the original...I have not once had it false or start beeping wildly which was one of the things I didnt like about the original.
April 17, 2015 01:34PM
I echo BigBoar's statement. I have had all 3. The TRX being my least favorite. The falsing issue was a bit of aggrevating on the black ProPointer but the new AT model seems to be a whole new animal. It is also much simplier to cycle through the settings on the AT model. And you can turn the beep off on it too!
April 17, 2015 01:34PM
The trx i had was junk.. Very week sound and vibration, and falsed all the time.. Pain in the butt.. Garrett AT propointer is my favorite by far.. No falsing at all.. Very good detection on small gold and foil.. My xpointer is awesome too but not good on small gold and foil..
April 17, 2015 01:56PM
The Garrett is tough to beat when working well...unfortunately some of them are troublesome....as far a whites seems like they make good detectors but not pinpointers....
April 17, 2015 02:02PM
I like my old garrett the best vs TRX. TRX's tone volume is weak. With headphones on hard to hear. It does have more depth than my old garrett. A good, durable pinpointer should be a no-brainer to make. I wonder why some have so much trouble?? Are they even testing what they develop????? I mean maybe we should ask a stud finder maker to make us a good one??? LOL
April 17, 2015 02:02PM
I've had 2- TRX's and just don't like how the thing drifts out of tune in seconds and starts beeping all the time. It doesn't have side detection which I missed from my others. The volume and vibration is not good either. It will however go deep off the tip. But that comes at a price which I explained. I've been using an X-pointer for almost a year with no issues. It's super and well priced. I did like the Propointer but the Xpointer is a little better. I would think the Propointer AT would be a nice choice as well. Anytime you can buy something waterproof you are ahead of the game....

Kenny
[www.youtube.com]
April 17, 2015 02:34PM
What about the MineLab ProFind 25, how does it compare to the other two?

Bob
Nova Scotia
Omega w 11" & 5" DD, 10" Con.
Cibola, Compadre
6000/D GEB Coinmaster
April 17, 2015 03:33PM
I really like the Garrett and have two and one makro

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
April 17, 2015 03:51PM
The original garret is off limits for me due to the junk switch. The plastic square piece under the button is very thin and a poor design. I recall Garrett saying the orange model has a new switch. Ive owned 2 trx's and like them when working properly. Both have shown a penchant for falsing when not perfectly 90 degrees as times gone by. They also don't like my racer either.
April 17, 2015 05:19PM
On my second garett Pro pointer, the first one got abused a lot.
I actually used it for rooting around in the plug,... go figure.
Great unit for coin sized targets.

When using the 18 Khz plus detectors and finding small lead and stuff, the Minelab or TRX are used.
A lot more sensitivity than the Pro-pointer.
TRX is tip sensitive, doesn't like detecting with the side. But if your chasing small targets, you just don't want to confuse yourself
with a side detection.
Also it has a nice ON-OFF cycle.

Actually the Pro-find 25 gets the least use and serves as a backup.
Why,... well because the grip is round. You are continually fiddling with the pointer to get your thumb on the button.

I use pinpointers a lot for my dirt digging, every target actually.

Tip sensing equals actual pinpointing, equals crosshair precision, equals LESS scratches on the target.

All my pinpointers are vibration only,... even to the point that the holes got plugged on the pro-pointer.
If it starts falsing, just lay it aside and false away,.... it only annoys itself!
Just switch it off when you're done :-)

My pinpointers eat more batteries than my detectors,... they get used, abused and I don't leave home without them.

HH
Johnb
April 17, 2015 05:49PM
I use the new garrett carrot and the makro pinpointer. I use the carrot for the parks, and the makro on the beach. Makro is deeper , but more susceptible to falsing.
April 17, 2015 06:13PM
possum mo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I use the new garrett carrot and the makro

I hadn't heard that one yet...I like it...'the garrett carrot' smiling smiley

I must have been the only guy to get a good TRX. Mine works great, and I've got it cranked up. It's the one that stays on my belt.
It's also the only one that will find those annoying TINY bits of metal smaller than the head of a pin.

I've had three of the older garretts, no problems with any of them either, but not nearly sensitive enough.
Neither was the X-pointer.

I've also had the Minelab, and didn't really like any of the ergonomics...switch was harder to press, hard to find...sensitivity was just so so.

In all fairness I haven't had a chance to check out the 'carrot', but it's on my to-do list.

mike
April 17, 2015 06:25PM
Ive got the Makro pinpointer and the new Nokta orange pinpointer...just got to get a video uploaded of both of them..

they are deep.....

Garretts work well when the work...Ive had 2 and 2 of them went out....

I like the TRX design but dotn have one...

I actually dont use pinpointers very much unless im running deep or using a P.I...............in the iron I find them about useless...

Stick it in the hole with 5 nails how do you know what's what?...thats where a sunray pinpointer is nice....

I've heard tell of a XP pinpointer that will use disc circuit and link wirelessly....Who Knows??

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2015 06:50PM by Keith Southern.
April 17, 2015 06:38PM
I like the depth of the TRX. You can find out quick if you are chasing deep iron. But I'll use anything that works. Except the original Garrett. I had my fill of that junk.
April 17, 2015 09:09PM
I had the original garrett, and it lasted 3 years. The " Carrot" seems to be better quality . The button feels like its better quality.
April 17, 2015 09:29PM
I like the TRX. Works pretty good for me when I don't want to take the time to load the Sunray. I need to post about the Sunray. Maybe this weekend.

HH
Mike
April 18, 2015 12:44AM
My TRX works great. I love it. After my experience with the pro pointer and Garrett warranty service, I won't buy Garrett again.

Discrimination is the root of all evil.
April 18, 2015 03:04AM
I have the TRX and it works great for me. Never had a Garrett, so I'm not noticing as much as others do as far as what is "wrong" with the TRX. Chose it over the Garrett for its better depth and because the Garrett has a history of reliability issues. I waited long enough after release and heard of no significant reliability issues, and being made by Whites means good, timely service if does need to be worked on.

The TRX is loud enough and vibrates just fine for me. I like that I can choose audio, vibe, or both. The detection is roughly a 3.5 to 4 inch spherical area in front of the tip, and knowing that, I can aim the search just fine. Ratchets down to pinpint even closer. I can usually narrow my search area to 8-10 square inches with my detector, and if the object is within 4 or so inches of the surface, I can pinpoint it dead-on with the TRX before digging or popping. Sort of a non-invasive probe.

It does seem to slowly ramp up its sensitivity while being used, which can sometimes help locate a deepie, but also gets annoying when it ramps up too much and starts chiping laying on the grass. It also seems to be sensitive to orientation - sometimes starts chirping when moved from horizontal to tip-down. Tapping the ratchet button always clears it up. The white LED light is too weak to really be useful other than as an "on" indicator.

I'm curious about the X-Pointer for its performance/price ratio and watching the new Garrett AT, but very happy with the TRX.
April 18, 2015 09:28PM
clamdigger Wrote:
> What about the MineLab ProFind 25, how does it
> compare to the other two.

I've had two of them, one came with the CTX, both had to go back to the factory. Wouldn't come on half the time, even when held straight up in the air away from metals and detectors. I'll stick with the Garrett.
April 19, 2015 11:35AM
Started with a Garrett until it went out - Got a X-Pointer 7-8 months ago and have thoroughly enjoyed it -

I am looking at get a Makro Pointer because of it being waterproof & tough -

Both are priced cheaper than the TRX & Carrot
cdv
April 20, 2015 10:18AM
FYI, I've had the Garrett Propointer AT under water now for slightly over 12 hours and have used it snorkel detecting, works great and I like it being rated to 10 feet.....be careful with the Makro....not to knock it since I haven't used it BUT it is only waterproof for a short time compared to the Garrett ....... check into the IP rating on the Makro, yeah if you drop it in it is ok......don't keep it under like I'm doing with the Garrett...
Of course, if you are a dirt digger and only concerned with rain and puddles, the Makro will be a good one for that....

Cliff
April 20, 2015 11:01AM
I've been wondering why xp didn't come up with a wireless pinpointer that used the detectors circuitry for a while now...just seems like a no-brainer. Still, we've talked about all the reasons they won't make a small coil for the deus, wouldn't all the same issues apply to a pinpointer as well?

Keith Southern Wrote:
> Ive got the Makro pinpointer and the new Nokta
> orange pinpointer...just got to get a video
> uploaded of both of them..
>
> they are deep.....
>
> Garretts work well when the work...Ive had 2 and
> 2 of them went out....
>
> I like the TRX design but dotn have one...
>
> I actually dont use pinpointers very much unless
> im running deep or using a P.I...............in
> the iron I find them about useless...
>
> Stick it in the hole with 5 nails how do you know
> what's what?...thats where a sunray pinpointer is
> nice....
>
> I've heard tell of a XP pinpointer that will use
> disc circuit and link wirelessly....Who Knows??
>
> Keith