Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Another discovery in England

Posted by tnsharpshooter 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Another discovery in England
April 17, 2015 04:05PM
Seen this posted on another forum.. Very interesting. Amazing actually to me!!!

[news.yahoo.com]
Re: Another discovery in England
April 17, 2015 05:32PM
Nice link--thanks.
Anonymous User
April 17, 2015 08:57PM
Only an archaeologist could get by with robbing a grave and bragging about it. I would think once they figured out that it was a grave they would have documented and photographed the contents and then returned them to their natural resting place. I almost felt bad about detecting a HUD lot but in comparison I may be a Saint.
April 17, 2015 11:26PM
Keith, if you or I do it, we're a grave robber - if a historian does it, it's science. Is that illogical? Maybe, but we all have a legitimate interest in learning about our human heritage. The biggest archeological news out of England lately was the discovery and identification of Richard Iii's remains. He has now been re-buried with pomp and circumstance.

I think that here in the US, we dug up some WWI GI's a while back to try and learn more about the Influenza pandemic of 1917-1920. My grandmother lost infant twins to that while my grandfather was in the Army over in France.

If there is a future for our hobby, I believe that treasure hunting for personal gain will have to gradually make way for us seeing ourselves as historians - i do realize that many will disagree,

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2015 11:28PM by lytle78.
Anonymous User
April 17, 2015 11:41PM
If there is a future for our hobby, I believe that treasure hunting for personal gain will have to gradually make way for us seeing ourselves as historians - i do realize that many will disagree,-- lytle 78

I don't think it has to be one or the other.
April 18, 2015 03:21AM
Agreed, both will survive, but I see a growing interest in documentation ald preservation of data. Lord knows we all have drawers of ttuff that only we know the original location of and all that information will be lost when we are gone.

Rick Kempf
Anonymous User
April 18, 2015 04:51PM
lytle78 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Agreed, both will survive, but I see a growing
> interest in documentation ald preservation of
> data. Lord knows we all have drawers of ttuff
> that only we know the original location of and all
> that information will be lost when we are gone.

When someone is forced to do something with an item they found the natural history of that item stops. If a person finds an item and passes it down,sells it etc. the natural history continues. Stopping the natural history of items,such as when they are recovered from a known battle site is where we pay a price for stopping the natural history. I'm not saying that is always a bad thing but the limits of that will always be a debate. If we wish we can document our finds but should not be forced to. In the future,looking back, it could be interesting to see where something was found. It would also be interesting to see what a person did with an item if they did what they chose to.
There will be no sign in front of an item, at a museum that says "This item is here because a kid found it and was forced to give it to us" That and similar circumstances would be the real story behind an item. I think a lot of archaeologist are not really interested in the natural history and progression of items,but rather in controlling the items after they stopped the natural history.
April 18, 2015 04:58PM
Most of the "official types" are merely Controllers.
April 18, 2015 10:47PM
I don't hear many original thoughts, and Kemper - your thoughts are clearly original. I think I disagree, but I have to think about it and that's GOOD.

Rick Kempf