Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

3 hours at old house w/Racer

Posted by ncwayne 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
3 hours at old house w/Racer
April 18, 2015 01:00PM
Three days of rain, here. Temps in the 70s with bright sun since mid morning, I had to get out for a bit. There's an old house site not far up the road that I've hunted several times. Found WW1 general service cuff button (great condition) and coat button (nearly/now broken in two pieces) in previous hunts, but not much else except trash. Thought I'd see what the Racer with the small coil could turn up.
Here's the location:

Here are the results:

The toasted penny is a 1927. Except for the ornamental winged horse head, the rest of the items were found in ground that has been swung over numerous times by other detectors.
I did dig some small rusted iron that is not shown here. The iron high toned and read 82 - 85, and sounded pretty good. Almost as good as the Merc, I'd say. Too good not to check it out.

Now, about the winged horse head. I think it may be pewter, but that's just a guess. It's certainly not iron. It's quite heavy, and has a touch of gilt still showing in the neck area on one side. As it has aged, it has crumbled. The area directly under the throat of the head has a cylindrical cavity where it was affixed to something like a round shaft(?). Any ideas as to age or what its function might have been will be appreciated.

I turned the Racer on, selected 3 tone, and hunted. No ground balance. No adjustment to gain or discrimination, at all. The small coil is quite the deal in the right spots. Too bad the stock coil doesn't balance and handle like the small one!

Oh, one more thing. Take a look at the size of the oak tree in front of the house. I'm wondering if there might have been another, older house here prior to this one?

Thanks for looking.

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
Re: 3 hours at old house w/Racer
April 18, 2015 01:16PM
Horse head = white metal )hence the cond.).

cool finds!
April 18, 2015 01:18PM
Lookin' good Wayne. Small coil is amazing. Someone I feel is a fixin' to lock on to a small gold coin using the killer coil. Just a matter of time. It could be you. I feel the small coil is like a surgeons scapel when used in an already hard hunted site. As long as a person takes their time and concentrates in those areas where they are getting the barrage of mid and low tones a coming in, that's where the prizes are a laying for the taking.
April 18, 2015 04:00PM
Go back again and thing where they may have hung out in the yard oak tree good place for shade or a swing or hiding coins

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
April 19, 2015 12:17AM
The horse head piece I believe it would probably be a pegasus.. maybe a trophy piece of some sort..

they still make trophys like that today pewter dipped in chrome ...

yes the tree is way older than the house...probably was an older house there at once...or theres logs under the brick and its still there!

cant go by the facade when dating a house..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
April 19, 2015 12:41AM
WTG bud!
April 19, 2015 01:33AM
Always a silver or two at those old houses...just have to be patient.....nice hunt my friend.....
April 19, 2015 01:52AM
Always gives me a indescribable feeling when I see a old home, empty, overgrown and wearing away....can't help but stare at them and try to look into their past, kind of sad.

Nice finds Wayne.