Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

I got an Indian today that has puzzling VDI numbers on the Deus

Posted by goodmore 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
I got an Indian today that has puzzling VDI numbers on the Deus
April 18, 2015 11:13PM
I normally set the high tone break point just below Indian on the Deus. So any high tone usually means coin or stop and investigate for sure. I was hunting in 18 kHz and hit a high tone at 81. It's an 1879 Indian and thin. So I figured 83 is the normal Indian number no big deal. My safe zone of setting the break point at 80 was OK and did it's job.

But then I switched over to my 8 kHZ number and threw the Indian on the ground and went over it. Normal VDI for Indian is 71. My tone break set to 68 did not work. The Indian actually hits at 66 in my 8 kHZ program. Five below normal. I walked over this Indian for quite some time until I finally hit it with the right program.

I thought I knew the Deus pretty well. But the disparity between the conductivity ranges now has me flustered.
Re: I got an Indian today that has puzzling VDI numbers on the Deus
April 18, 2015 11:26PM
Indian heads are strange. I have five and out of the five I get three different ids. I would have to recheck the id numbers and year but the year does dictate the id.

I'm using a CTX.
April 18, 2015 11:31PM
Nice find!!
Goodmore before you get all tore up. Comppare that IH with some others, as well as other detectors if you can. Not all coins are created equal in the mixing process. And I don't usually run my tone breaks too close, I allow some room, more than you it seems. And for the folks who like to play with notch, same thing-better be careful. Greed will cost you finds

War nickels can be quite different, even on the minelab screens.
April 18, 2015 11:55PM
Done a quick air test with the five I have and the CTX

1890.--12/30
1904--3ea---. 12/34/35
1907-- 12/37

Not the Deus but does show difference in ids between those years.

Now all that does not explain your difference using 8khz when your 18khz was correct.

When I did own a Deus I found that to not miss a coin I needed 10 points below the air tested id of a coin to not miss them. Two many times I dug coins 8 to 9 points below the air tested numbers for the freq.used.One of several reasons I sold the Deus.
April 19, 2015 12:06AM
Deus is behaving normal on the indian head...

The way the DEUS manipulates the freq will Cause the further away from 18khz you get the more the i.d changes..

Did you re ground bal when you jumped to 8khz..?

You can turn on the stabilizer if you like...it will read I.D> off the 18 freq no metter what freq you use..

the ground bal is also linked to the I.D. on the DEUS..especially on Iron tone..

Side note...

Ever wonder why people dig somany indian heads now but not Silver to match...

Indian heads when dirty or thin can read in alot of WEIRD numbers...

look at what people dig..Indians are the big finds..WHY??? wheres the quarters and halves..

15 years ago when I coin hunted for a summer with a buddy of mine we cleaned up on Quarters and Halves ...but the sites were virgin yards....

go back there right now and youll find the indians and dimes and wheats and nickles and such...

The reason so many Indians are now dug is they read inconsistant...And alot like a screwcap...But hunters now know they have to dig those i.d.'s to dig a old coin...

P.S.

rememebr flying eagles and Civil War indians read lower than what your getting i.d. wise now...

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
April 19, 2015 02:32AM
I'm going to open the numbers up. That is for sure. There is a ton of those aluminum pulls from the top of those juice barrels at this site. They must of had a stand there during the annual picnics. They come in a little lower than Indians. They are round so the Deus loves them. I'll just take my time and dig maybe 5 every time I hunt there. I'll eventually get rid of most of them.
April 19, 2015 08:17AM
I don't know much about US coinage, but there are at least two different metal 'recipes' used for Indian Head cents, both with significant non-copper content. This makes them prone to corrosion, the result of which is a significant change to the remaining metal of the coin. Lower total amont of metal, a porous composition, and a rough surface finish - all will drop down the ID value.
We have similar bronze coins dating from 1860 to 1967, again with a few composition changes. Uncirculated pennies, and the best dug-up ones, read as 80 on my F75, but most older dug ones read in the 60's, and I've had some down in the low 50's.