Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

CTX Smokes It In The Field Today!!

This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
CTX Smokes It In The Field Today!!
April 19, 2015 12:58AM
I'm not the biggest coin hunter per se'

but,

I did my research during this past winter on an old picnic grove from the 1860s that was in use til the 1930s or so in some form or another and man did I hit pay dirt today!

The 1st pic shows what's left of the grove where a road used to go thru but has long been out of use and was adverted to the south a 100 yrds or so way back when ;-)

Site is much larger than it looks - goes a good 150 yrds to the west beyond those thickets you see blocking the overall view of the property.

CTX, Manual sens (26), combined co/fe, fast on/deep off, target trace, yada yada yada!

Worth mention:

Model T valve stem cover
Tin Tea cup
Pocket Knife
Thin ornate square buckle
Flat Button (orange, etc. mark on back)
Small mushed cuff button
Gold Ring (unmarked but it's gold!) have to test for purity
Seated 1/4 (1861) holed :-(
1868 Two Center ;-)
Couple toasted Injuns
1919 Merc
1909, 1919, 19??, 1933 wheats

Re: CTX Smokes It In The Field Today!!
April 19, 2015 01:05AM
Nice hunt, Nice finds

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
April 19, 2015 01:11AM
I'd say you smoked em! That seated and 2 center look great. Best group of finds I've seen in a while......Congratulations, I wouldn't be able to sleep tonight!
April 19, 2015 01:12AM
Great hunt. Outstanding finds. WTG.

El
April 19, 2015 01:13AM
Nice hunt Wayne..

you found my favorite non silver coin..the 2 center!!!..

Excellent on the War dated Quarter...those are tough..

Good for you..

hey why no leaves on the trees..???? LOL..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
April 19, 2015 01:15AM
Great finds. BTW don't feel bad there are still some trees here with no leaves.
April 19, 2015 01:20AM
Man, what a hunt! Gold, silver, and a two center! Can't beat that! The two center is still on my wish list. It's hard to tell on my phone, any design on the button?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2015 01:22AM by triplehooked.
April 19, 2015 01:30AM
Congrats on a super day......me thinks a second hunt is in order.....
April 19, 2015 02:02AM
WoW! ....great day. Seated is in nice shape.
April 19, 2015 02:28AM
Thanks guys

it was fun finding good target after good target with very very little trash or iron or anything... Been a long time since I had a day/hunt like this... Been a long time since I've found an actual picnic grove too ;-)

The worst thing about it was hunting my way thru those thickets -- it was like being a human pinball bouncing the coil and myself off of every single tree in there!
(that and then trying to dig thru all the roots in there too) -- that really sucked (but) it was worth it!

No leaves on the trees here Yet Keith -- it'll be another month for that... I too love the 2 center design (shield nickels too) most of all for non silver and I'm very happy to have found the seated 1/4 - I'm gonna add that to my CW display case!

Travis - no design on the flat button - just says Orange something or another on the back.

This site actually shows on an 1850s map as a house site but became a picnic grove/gathering point in the 60s --- there's more to the site than the picture shows --- it also extends back the opposite direction approx. 100 yrds or so too but I hunted the west end of it in/around those thickets today.
April 19, 2015 05:33AM
Give yourself some credit. You did the research. it was you.
April 19, 2015 05:50AM
Super man just super! Nice to see research pay off. As big as it is you'll be hunting that for a while....

Kenny
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2015 05:52AM by khouse.
April 19, 2015 12:03PM
Great hunt! I guess you are liking the CTX. What machine do you plan on hitting that spot with as your follow up? Your research really is paying off nicely for you.
April 19, 2015 01:04PM
nice detective work. I'm sure sleuthing out the site added immensely to your pleasure with the outstanding finds.
Congrats! Great job!!

Sorta wish you had the leaves and I didn't. Spring is going way too fast here. Chiggers, ticks, high grass...Sucks!

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
April 19, 2015 01:06PM
Hi Wayne,,,Way to go,I definitely would be going back to that place....I would even offer free tree & brush trimming services....JJ
April 19, 2015 01:38PM
The location is the best find that you made, what a great first hunt with nice old coins. That location should produce for years to come....congrats
April 20, 2015 07:49PM
Great finds, love the ring and the 1800's coins!!!

Those old picnic grounds can be gold mines for old coins and jewelery. I was going through the 1800's newspapers of the town I grew up in and they made a reference to a 4th of July town Parade and then the town went to a picnic in a grove of trees and had a baseball game against the neighboring town. Unforunately it made zero reference as to where the picnic site was, as I'm sure everyone back then knew where it was. I'd love to find that spot one of these days if it's not built over.

BTW How come you took the CTX over the F19 to this site?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2015 11:55PM by Cal_cobra.
April 20, 2015 10:49PM
Excellent hunt.

The seated does look good. Even the detail on the 2 cent piece looks good.

Too bad you can’t find a way to estimate the date of the gold ring. Who knows, it too might be an oldie.

Detecting since Feb, 2010
E-trac with 18"x15" SEF, 13" Ultimate coil, Pro coil, Minelab 8" coil, 4.5"x7" SEF, Sunray target probe
CTX3030 with 17"x13" DD coil, 11" DD coil
April 21, 2015 06:53PM
That Seated has AU details.
April 21, 2015 07:26PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That Seated has AU details.

Hi Tom

I figured XF/AU all day long too but my luck = a hole in it

and