Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

What a night...

Posted by Aaron 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
What a night...
July 02, 2010 04:16AM
It was perfect weather this evening so I made it to my favorite park tonight for 2hrs. I brought my 1270X. Its a proto-type that looks just like a regular 1270 except the iron disc was converted into a aluminum disc. You can disc out 80% of all pulltabs and still get large gold rings. And thats what I was doing digging mostly pulltabs and coins, in hopes of finding large gold rings. Anyway, I had it set to disc out most pulltabs, inturn, nickles were sacrificed also. The funny thing is I still ended up finding 3 nickles anyway. The first 2 were in holes with other coins and the 3rd one was in a hole with a pulltab. It was getting dark so I just stuffed 3rd one in my pouch without looking at it. I kept going, working on the top of a hill, got a strong signal, could tell it was close to the surface, sure enough there was a quarter not even 1/2 down. I recheck the hole, another signal. I probe around out pops a dime. I notice right away and Im like NO WAY. It was a silver 48' Rosey. It was lost with that quarter, someone had a silver dime and didnt know it. It is really worn, and judging from the recent post and Toms estimation on coin wear, it was in circulation for around 10yrs, then some how, it went into hiding and then came out probably recently, nobody noticed it, then it came out of the persons pocket sitting on the hill a few weeks ago. I called it a night went home and cleaned up my machines then got the coins out of my pouch to run them under some water and I noticed one of the nickles I found that I didnt look at...and couldnt believe it...a silver 1942 P nickle! I only found it by pure chance because I dug that pulltab. What a great ending to a good day. Sorry if my story was a little long.
HH! Aaron
dgc
Re: What a night...
July 02, 2010 06:29AM
Good job Aaron. That was a very interesting post. Congratulations on the finds. You made me want to get my old 1265x out.
July 02, 2010 11:38AM
Great story! Wonderful finds!
July 02, 2010 06:08PM
Love to hear what you think of the 1270 "X". Did it perform as you expected, etc?
Bunker
July 02, 2010 09:33PM
I have found silver 'war' nickels......that would range in conductivity from foil...........all the way up to zinc penny. The batch consistencies were terrible with these 1942 - 1945 years.