Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Whites Beachhunter ID

Posted by lytle78 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Whites Beachhunter ID
April 30, 2015 10:55PM
Just when I thought my garage would not be littered with piles of metal detectors – I got a chance to buy one of these for peanuts.

Not being adverse to a bargain, I was still concerned that if it was a total piece of Doo Doo – why should I bother. I don't have not being adverse to a bargain, I was still concerned that if it was a total piece of Doo – why should I bother. I haven't had a beach detector since I sold my whites DF PI, so I went and looked at it and thought I'd take a chance.

Being me I also wasted about six hours poking around on the web googling beachhunter PI and reading dozens and dozens of posts about the pros and cons.

As little opportunity as I actually have to use a water detector I have to say I was mainly interested in getting it and seeing what it would do in my normal toured here in gold canyon. The general consensus was that it was way under appreciated if you ran with full sensitivity in all metal and stayed off of mineralized beaches.

Haven't played with it for a day or so I would say that the general consensus was probably correct. It's impressively deep in all metal - I expect that on beach with low mineralization it will outperform a DF PI. It air tests on my standard test targets deeper than my whites TDI with the ground balance off.

In all metal the three lights still signal discrimination information read for iron yellow for middle Bluegreen for top. This data seems to somehow "sum" as you continue to scan the target and seems to kind of purify if you bob up and down over the target. I don't know if that bobbing bit unusual I never tried it with my other detectors.

On the whole, it's a really interesting machine but it's liking for hot rocks means that I probably won't use it much where I live. I plan to take it to Norway with me this summer and find out if any Vikings dropped anything all they were hopping in other boats – LOL

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
Re: Whites Beachhunter ID
May 01, 2015 10:38AM
Sounds good Rick

keep us posted and post up some pictures from over there of your hunt/s ;-)
May 01, 2015 12:27PM
I've had 2 - BHID's. The performance in all metal was top notch. In disc it's no slouch either. My problem with both was the all metal toggle would flip back on it's own from the boot being too snug. Or if a fly landed on it.. So on both I had to fasten a rubber band on the toggle to hold it in all metal. The other thing was my 1st one had the 950 coil on it. That thing floated like a Styrofoam cooler!!! The second one had the 12 inch coil that Whites said was neutral buoyancy. This translates into "floating coil" !! Why build a true water machine with floating coils? I'm not adding a "sock of rocks" to my rod to weight it down either. I think the BHID needs a true sinking coil and some work on the all metal toggle. Other than that it performed super in the Gulf of Florida.

Kenny
[www.youtube.com]
May 01, 2015 05:47PM
I have the BHID, and it is a very good water detector, but I can use it in parks to hunt coins also. The coil dose float some but not to where you can,t hold it down. A small bag of sand dose the trick. It will go deep and dose a good job on idenifieing coins. It can be hip mounted and that makes it easer to hunt long hours.
May 01, 2015 10:03PM
I've found lotsa good stuff with mine....I like it! It is deep and gets good coverage with the 12"....Anderson has a hipmount kit that is excellent and I also use the plugger straight shaft....agree that it is under-rated....gl and hh!!