Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Great find Tom!!!

Posted by glenn63 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Great find Tom!!!
March 24, 2008 01:10AM
Tom,

It was a remarkable experience watching you dig that awesome coin today.
The bad thing was that I was'nt able to hear it with the 3D.

As you said, just being there is just as good as digging it.

Looking forward to our next hunt.

Glenn
Re: Great find Tom!!!
March 24, 2008 04:28AM
I just finished professionally restoring this dime. It grades exactly at VF-20. Assuming it encountered nominal/Avg/expected/normal wear & circulation...... and I suspect/expect it did; I surmise that it was lost in the Fall of 1853. This certainly 'rewrites' HISTORY for this little "circle-of-love" sweet-spot 8-foot radius parcel of land. How do I/we capture this priceless historical datum..... and document it? And to whom? History seems to 'vanish' all-TOO-easy. For a long time, I have 'suspected' this Orange City spot could/would trump the "primary" Real World Test Garden in Sanford.
.... The value of this dime, coupled with the value of "The-Thrill-Of-The-Find" has one certain 'set' value to me. BUT....... having you there as a WITNESS is one-hundred-fold more important to me. But......BUT, BUT, BUT......having you perform a Head-to-Head comparison of CZ vs. F-75 is yet ANOTHER one-hundred-fold "order-of magnitude" GREATER amplification of value to me..... especially with you having swept the CZ over this dime for nearly 1-1/2 minutes..... and could hear nothing. HOW DO YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE MISSING; IF YOU DON'T KNOW IT EVEN EXISTS!!! ... Reiterated AND demonstrated! I will NEVER forget this experience for the rest of my life.... as I'm certain you emulate exactly the same. Priceless accolades!
!!! DON'T forget the OTHER 8 - 10 "Head-To-Head" CZ vs. F-75 targets that we compared. PRICELESS!!! (This is only the tip-of-the-iceburg demo for you). Yep,,,,, the CZ was either "silently masked" or just simply "masked" from all of these targets. Yes, this was a 'EXTENUATING' circumstance "pinnacle" location..... that I was WELL aware of this 'demonstratable' experience/phenomenon. And..... as you suspected,,,,,, ALL other detectors of varying brands ALSO fell flat-on-their-face. (((No surprise here))). I performed this exact demo to Tim (Brevard Co. Sheriff) with the T-2 in Deland approx 2-1/2 yrs ago. The CZ is a super detector in most cases...... but there are a couple of areas the CZ can 'lack'.
......Another STUNNING value,,, is the fact that this coin was ONLY 9.5" - 10.0" deep. EXTREME rare occurance...especially for Florida,,,,, as the 1853 soil stratum is Nominal/Avg at approx 27" deep.....yes, sometimes deeper. Yep, , , you know that we can find Zinc pennies at this same 9-1/2 - 10" stratum in their natural/undisturbed setting.... in most of Florida.
..... What you witnessed today was only approx 10% of the F-75's capabilities,,,, I DELIBERATELY "held-in-reserve" many things from you ..... for a multiplicity of reasonings. There are MANY more "shock-factor" things I can show you; yet, I don't want you to get 'stoked' yet..... and go running out and buying one yet. I also need to bring you up-to-speed on the failure points of this type of unit. That way you will be well aware of it's limitations AND capabilities. You could easily become disappointed with the unit; by virtue of some of it's naughty-by-nature characteristics; inherent to the unit. Understanding its limitations,,,, the unit THEN becomes a Godsend. I could EASILY write a book titled: "Taking The F-75 FAR Beyond Human Expectations"...... or ,,,,,,,....... better yet,,,,, I could have very easily captured all 8 - 10 of those "witnessed" Head-To-Head stunning experiences this afternoon....on video. I just simply do not have the energy/interest in doing such.
Glenn, You are MORE than welcome to hunt that spot ANYTIME you wish.... with one stipulation; for documentation purposes, let me know of ALL non-Fe targets that you recover there. I have found some other targets there..... that I think I should share with you.
....Busy week ahead of me this week.
Priceless hunting!

Tom
March 24, 2008 07:30AM
For those of you who didnt guess, "WE" found an 1852 seated dime smiling smiley
I had found an 1853 years ago in a street construction project.
Tom found his 1852 in a real world enviorment which makes it that much more special!

Glenn
March 24, 2008 03:18PM
Tom

You know the new digital video cameras would probably be good enough to tape a discovery like this. This way you could let some others in on the excitement. Even if you just posted it on this website to see.

And I’m sure you would like to record some of the memories of these finds for yourself.

Pips

PS - I’m just talking about digging – not a scripted, edited, full length movie.
Maybe a 2 or 3 minute thing.
March 24, 2008 03:40PM
Tom they make a helmet cam from that skate board guy Tony???? you can wear it on a baseball cap and then put it on Youtube. I make a video called Digging Calif. The great thing is you can give us some examples of your finds and make short videos on some of your tests. Or find someone that would help you, I think a lot of hunters would love to assit you for free. You would then have the best sight on the internet...It is a great sight as is loads of info you don't find on other forums..Just a thought. I found a 1834 half dime in the Gold Country of Calif in perfect shape and a 1838. We found an old Camp that dates back way before the Gold Rush. We found buckles a lot of cool relics, If we could post photos I would love to share them with the forum. I did a video on youtube and some folks claimed that the coins were to clean to be in the ground for 170 years but the ground was like sugar you could almost dig with your hands it was so soft.
March 24, 2008 07:03PM
Awesome post...thanks for sharing..
March 24, 2008 07:30PM
Tom, I am assuming that were still using monotone. Right?
March 24, 2008 09:52PM
Good question scott...I keep forgetting about monotone..theres so many options with the F75..
March 25, 2008 01:25AM
YES...... was in monotone,,,,,,.....then instantly switched over to 4-tone. The 4-tone response was a bit more 'ratty'.... but surprisingly still somewhat good.

Tom
March 28, 2008 09:31PM
John, James & Mark,

Your nearly identical (unprovoked) questions in a private e-mail.... warrant a post, so as to share with all others.....(vs. replying by private e-mail) since it appears to be a 'common' question/concern.

Yes, this particular area is fairly littered with iron. The target sink rate is phenomenally low, on top of a hill and sparse grass (very INorganic; stable soil). And to answer your questions further; Yes, I used other detectors at this site. I used/tested a Coin$trike and a ML Explorer-II.

* Coin$trike: Lots of clicks/burps/pops. I'm capable of utilizing '0' Thresh and higher Sens settings (usually 7 & 8 & 9) here in Florida. The most important adj available on the CS for these conditional circumstances is the Iron Disc. ---Changing the iron Disc to numerous (lower) different settings only increased the clicks/pops/burps. Out of NUMEROUS digs.....there were a couple of nonferrous targets recovered..... but, I catagorize these non-Fe targets as "incidentals" and/or "inconsequentials"..... as I could not positively verify that the C$ actually found them. When you excavate several gallons of soil... you are bound to recover a few metallic objects,,,,,,,....... and if one of them happens to be a nonferrous item,,,, I'm uncertain if I can "credit" the detector for this.

* As for the Minelab Exp-II,,,,, I had Sens anywhere from 20 up to max 32. "Audio-1" gave the best in-the-raw real-world audio data presentation (min. filters). Once again, the most important adjustment was having the ability to set iron-disc/iron-mask on Settings such as "-11" and "-13". The ML's failure eminates from the Audio Threshold simply "muting" (or "nulling")...... and completely staying "in-the-null" for this entire area (and hunting experience). Yes, I had a slower-than-normal sweep speed with the ML. Some higher tone 'squawks' did occur.... and a few nails were recovered. The stock 10.5" DD coil was used. Mind you... the F-75 stock 11" DD coil was also employed.

Sufficient answers???

Sincerely,

Tom
March 29, 2008 04:44AM
Yep very sufficient thanks tom..sounds good..james
March 29, 2008 12:09PM
Received an 'interesting' e-mail last night. I must say...... I am in no way advocating "slammage" on any 'same brand' or "'other brand'" units. I just simply cut-no-slack to any/all units... and call the shots of each detector........ head-to-head,,,,,,,,,, no handicaps given......... real-time,,, real-world.......(positive) capabilities/(negative) limitations..... to the best of my abilities in a "Consumer Reports" fashion. Yes, I MOST enjoy giving credit to the most innovative, ingenuitive, FUNCTIONAL, USEFUL device....... regardless of brand. Intelligent, Candid, Honest.

.....and report it on this forum. BECAUSE WE CAN!

Tom