Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Your best silver coin machine?

Posted by treasurehunter747 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Your best silver coin machine?
May 19, 2015 03:08AM
Hi Folks,
Just curious, of all the detectors you have used what seems to be the very best at getting silver, and especially deep silver, over 10"?? I like the Explorer 2 I had. Thinking about getting another goods silver machine and any thoughts are appreciated.

Frank
Re: Your best silver coin machine?
May 19, 2015 03:41AM
Hi Frank,

Any of the Explorer models are good, my favorite is the XS, then SE and 3030 in that order.
May 19, 2015 03:49AM
Of them all I would say the most silver came from the etrac...after setting it up it seemed to scream on silver.
May 19, 2015 04:10AM
The Minelab Sov/Elite is excellent at deep silver, but next to useless on clad. It is easy to understand the tones for copper, pulltab and silver.
The main problem is weight, I still own one but detecting is on the back burner for the moment. HH

I do keep an eye out for vacant lots while riding my Sportster motorcycle..
May 19, 2015 04:34AM
SOVEREIGN XS, HANDS DOWN!
May 19, 2015 08:30AM
Garrett AT-Gold in the thick iron Fisher CZ-5 in less trashy areas.
May 19, 2015 11:17AM
CZ-6A
May 19, 2015 12:54PM
cadman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> CZ-6A

+1
May 19, 2015 01:21PM
treasurehunter747 Wrote:
> Hi Folks,
> Just curious, of all the detectors
> you have used what seems to be the very best at
> getting silver, and especially deep silver, over
> 10"?? I like the Explorer 2 I had. Thinking about
> getting another goods silver machine and any
> thoughts are appreciated.
>
> Frank

Hello Frank----The best silver hunter?-----Well---I've owned/used Minelabs XS, EX2, SE Pro, Etrac & CTX (amongst a host of other brands of detectors in my "hunt" for silver--which has always been my main goal).-----I liked & had the best success with the Minelabs over the years in rounding up old silver.-----Of the Minelabs---until the advent of the Etrac, I liked & had the best silver success with the EX2.----I never did really "click" with the SE Pro for some reason.----Now-a-days, both the CTX & Etrac are my top picks for old silver coins.----I really like both those detectors for a few different reasons so I own/use both of them.------I just made a post about Minelab depth & some think the XS was the deepest---that may be but (at least the early) XS's had their (material) problems.------I know one thing---I'm like Harold-----I'm "addicted" to that SWEET silver tone of the Explorers/Etracs!------I hope this is of some help in your decision making.-----------Del
May 19, 2015 01:29PM
By far, in old parks, ML Explorer. I was pulling out silver at a rate of one every one hour, 45 min of swinging.
May 19, 2015 02:10PM
CZ's for me over the last 20 years plus..Explorer series.....just depends on the area you are hunting.....as both are excellent silver coin units......Dan
May 19, 2015 02:42PM
At the risk of being a broken record, explorer 2 and 10x12 sef. Great depth, good seperation for a big coil, I just clicked with it from the start. Its amazing how hard a 9"penny hits on that coil.
May 19, 2015 05:55PM
The Etrac/Explorer and Fisher CZ's are the Deep Silver Kings in my ground!
May 20, 2015 01:23AM
I've had good luck with Etrac and CTX. Funny thing though with CTX. When I first purchased I was running rechargeable batteries and hunted this real old site. Hunted site several times and did find some goodies. When I started using the Li Pro battery I started digging my deepest finds-spanish bits deeeeeeeeeep. All hunts at this site were with stock coil on CTX. Coincidence or not but that's my story.
May 20, 2015 01:33AM
My CZ-5 has treated me well for the last 22years--lots of deep silver.
May 20, 2015 02:03AM
My CZ3D is my choice these days, but the Tesoro Vaquero I sold a few years back was a deep cherry picker with the disc cranked up, maxed out about 10+ inches with stock coil.
May 20, 2015 02:21AM
Good deal fellows I appreciate the feedback. I have had an Explorer 2 and will have to say that was the deepest silver machine I have ever used. I still prefer the older Teknetics Mark 1 with sweet analog audio.

Frank
May 20, 2015 02:20PM
all very well but can they discrim with 'silver foil '??
May 20, 2015 09:47PM
treasurehunter747 Wrote:
> Good deal fellows I appreciate the feedback. I
> have had an Explorer 2 and will have to say that
> was the deepest silver machine I have ever used. I
> still prefer the older Teknetics Mark 1 with sweet
> analog audio.
>
> Frank

I was wondering what kind of depth on Silver Coins you get with the Mark I ? I know it is a 2 Filter and deeper in mild ground,But the the differences people get are night and day. Some say they can get 12'' Quarters with a coin I.D and some say they can't hit a coin 6'' ? I was just wondering how your depth was with The Mark I ? Thanks.
May 22, 2015 05:56PM
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
>
> I was wondering what kind of depth on Silver Coins
> you get with the Mark I ?

Harold,
I've gotten consistent 7+ inches on silver in Colorado dirt with mine...about as deep as any other machine I use.
(That's with the 10" white coil.)

Other than being a little heavy, it's a lot of fun to use. Great tones. Accurate ID. (Watching how the needle jumps is target info in itself.)
With the super slow sweep, you can actually get pretty good separation in junk with the big coil.

When I get rid of my extra detectors, it's one of a few I'll keep.

mike
May 22, 2015 08:48PM
With the caveat that I have MD'ed since the 70's, but have only done so seriously for the past few years, my Safari seems to lock onto any hint of silver and let me know about it in no uncertain terms- even better than my CTX. Both seem to get 9" dimes on edge without a problem, but the Safari is much better at identifying exactly what it is.
May 22, 2015 11:00PM
Yes the Safari is a very underated detector.
May 23, 2015 04:19AM
Last year I dug within half an hour two fishies (the size of US half dime) down about 8 or 9 inches in an area that had been pounded by ETrac machines more than once and at the time I was there. That was using my Fisher 1265. My Minelab Sovereign would never see those on any day.

Deepest good target I ever dug was an old flat button plated in silver the size of a quarter down over 12 inches using my Mark 1 and original coil.

Dug a silver quarter about 10 inches deep using my old White's Coinmaster series 3 with the 11 inch coil on it.
May 23, 2015 10:10PM
Arthur set up correctly and just a little hot, tha Mark 1 would surprise a lot of people with the depth it can get. I still use my Mark 1 in trashy park areas as there is no better machine. The Mark 1 can be swept ultra slow and in a trashy setting that is paramount, and ir also can detect an area 2 inches by 2 inches and I dont think there are many new detectors out there today that can do that. The original 7.25" stock coil and the white 10" coil are the 2 best coils for the Mark 1. The white 10" coil will get just about the same depth as the 12" Teknetics coil. Its a shame that a new Mark1 hasnt bee produced as I imagine it would create a lot of hype and interest and generate a lot of sales. Maybe we will get lucky and George Payne will design one more detector before he retires.

Frank
May 23, 2015 10:24PM
Lets hope so Frank! Maybe we can start a petition, lol!