Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

My hunting buddy smiling smiley

Posted by guvmore 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
My hunting buddy smiling smiley
May 23, 2015 06:36AM

But have a feeling she will think the coil is a frisbee smiling smiley even though they are smart dogs.
Re: My hunting buddy smiling smiley
May 23, 2015 11:15AM
Sweep with the detector, dig a small hole and drop a dogtreat in it.

Positive association with a detector :-), after a while they don't go running off after every leaf that blows past.

HH
Johnb
May 23, 2015 11:39AM
Lovely looking dog..... Good stuff
May 23, 2015 12:45PM
Cute and handsome at the same time, dogs are the best.
May 23, 2015 01:53PM
Buddies don't get any better than Canine. Start training her now to dig where instructed!
Great looking pup!
May 23, 2015 02:46PM
Here is my buddy. He is more of a guard dog. Lets me know if anyone or anything gets close to me.....

Tom in SC
May 23, 2015 03:02PM
Oh My Gosh what a cuttie - I like the dog treat idea - used to train dogs that will work.

Next trick is to get him trained to sniff out Silver. Lay a zinc penny a iron nail and a silver half on floor make him stay. Place a dog treat on the Silver Half. Move the pieces around. Keep repeating until he gets excited every time he sees the Silver Half. Oh forgot when you let him get the treat say some word - Like Silver or what ever you choose that way the word the treat and the coin all make an association in his head. Always make it fun. Next step is to find something to cover the Silver and Junk with. Say Silver or what ever word you choose - he may look at you confused at first lead him over the covered objects let him sniff repeat the word again - if he still does not get it show him the silver then let him come to it then reward with treat. It should not take to long that he will get that finding the silver will get him the treat and lots of praise. Then move to yard with the coins and junk hiding in the grass. Then bury the coins in a test garden. Not sure how deep he will be able to sniff silver but Truffle Pigs can find truffles a couple feet down I have heard. If a dog can tell the difference between cuban cigars and other cigars then I bet he can tell Silver from iron and Zinc.

guvmore Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> [i1109.photobucket.com]
> 019_zpsa8891cvj.jpg
>
> But have a feeling she will think the coil is a
> frisbee smiling smiley even though they are smart dogs.

Bryanna - Nebraska

Current - New to me but not new MXT Pro and T2 SE2 - Previous Minelab Sovereign GT, Minelab Safari, Whites DFX, Whites Eagle Spectrum
Smile its a good for you!
May 23, 2015 05:32PM
The idea behind the dog treat is whilst sweeping, they run around and investigate.
When you're attention is directed at the digging and the target, they come to heal.

It takes a little training, but in time you can easily substitute the dogtreat for some play.

No nead for a whistle or a clicker. Just a lot of human, canine interaction.

HH
Johnb
May 23, 2015 11:44PM
Known as "Superman Sid"

this dude will dig an 8" deep 12" wide hole in 5 seconds flat -- all I have to do is point to the spot and say "dig" and it's done!!

Problem is though - he doesn't know when to stop and your target goes flying through the air along with the dirt as he's diggin like mad! lol

May 23, 2015 11:54PM
You guys crack me up – and I'm not too sure the silver dog idea is crazy!

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
May 25, 2015 03:09AM
Awesome dogs folks! I need to learn to post pics so i can contribute as well! I like the silver sniffing idea, we trained a blue heeler to shed hunt for dropped deer antlers and she did a fine job. Also trained same dog to put cows in barn and each one in their correct stall. if they got switched around she would back them up and move them along to their own stall.