Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

First real Garrett ATX hunt with pic

Posted by tnsharpshooter 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
First real Garrett ATX hunt with pic
May 23, 2015 07:26PM
Well after horsing around with my unit and reading a great deal I opted to give her a run. Took my unit to an old churchyard. Been hunted bunches by me and others. I ran the unit 1 notch above stock setting with sens, no disc and concentrated only digging stronger high low signals with a weaker reading of the lights 2-3. I love the audio on this rascal. Of course I can only compare it to other VLF detectors I've owned and ran because this is my first pulse detector. The shallowest find was the little heart at around 9 inches, the rest were dug mostly between 9 3/4 and 12 inches. I did dig one piece of real junk, not pictured, a thin piece of metal of sorts. I hunted the cleaner areas of this site according to my own previous hunting of this site quite a few times with other high quality vlf machines. The rings are pewter I think except for the one it's 14k. Little lipstick don't know what it is made of. Nothing real earth shattering from a gold standpoint in the numbers department, but here in poor backwoods Tn, beggars can't be choosy.

BTW Thanks Paul (Old California) your post on this forum talking of the ATX have really give me a leg up I feel.

Re: First real Garrett ATX hunt with pic
May 23, 2015 07:51PM
That is a pretty awesome First hunt.
May 23, 2015 07:53PM
Good stuff TNSS

Looks like a fun/successful day of diggin to me ;-)
May 23, 2015 08:17PM
Thanks guys. BTW my F75LTD2 running at max will air test the big gold ring around 13-14 inches screen reading 42. I guess the 3 bar soil and or EMI won't let the Fisher see the ring at 11 or so inches. I shouldn't get the big head or anything based on this hunt. I've been guilty before of doing pretty well with other detector's maiden voyages. Even had a good maiden voyage at a blackjack table in Vegas a few years back. Needless to say the rest of my stay at the blackjack tables the following days didn't have same results as the first..OUCH!!!

But I will say the harder the site has been hunted with VLF detectors; especially the deeper units, I feel the better when approaching with Pulse. It does cut the odds a bit with the junk; especially the shallower to mid depth VLF detectable junk.
May 23, 2015 09:13PM
WTG Tnss, when that field clears this fall you need to try that one for sure down here.
May 23, 2015 09:29PM
Yeah Tom. I want you to run it some. Seems not to hard to run. I have a few things to check out though. After reading Daniel Tn's post on TDI, I want to try a few things involving iron to see what gives. This machine to me based on what I've read is the turn and go for pulse machines.
The right environment is key so one does not get discouraged. And this thing don't have to be run hot either to get down below VLF detection range either. I will be paying attention this fall/winter just to see how deep this thing will pull relics when running at max or close if site/EMI will let me. Speaking of EMI. This detector seems to handle EMI as good or better as many of my past or current VLF detectors.
May 23, 2015 09:46PM
How much iron did you dig.

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
May 23, 2015 10:17PM
I dug 2 nail head only looking things with no shank and a piece of metal (small). The site overall doesn't have much iron based on my VLF use at the site. There is one place/area that does. I suspect based on some of the bridle/harness pieces I found this spot may have been the hitching post before autos were used to come to the church. I even dug a stove door there with VLF lol. I avoided that area like the plague. I hadn't dug even much deep iron when chasing deep silver questionable signals with CTX/V3i/Etrac/Deus in the area I used ATX. One reason I chose this area for my maiden voyage. The other reason I dug a deeeeeep wheat with Deus there at 11". I'm sure the iron will come. I have a few other sites I've noticed not much iron if any when detecting with VLF. They are unfortunately covered with tall grass/weeds currently. One thing this site does have is 22 shorts but they are not overly deep. I tried to key on the signals that were good hi low with some size feel to them but weak on the lights when sweeping.

I realize I need more experience with this beast, but so far I'm liking it. BTW I wouldn't even think of going into a land site with this thing until I've scoped it out some with a good VLF. This detector will never be my primary detector I feel. But show me a site with good detecting history with little iron I'll take my chances.
May 23, 2015 10:24PM
What will get you on a pulse is small nails and pieces of tin...stuff your VLFS barely pay attention to..

If you ever get onto a civil war site with It..it will open your eyes more ways than one LOL...

higher conductors in hunted hard spots won't be too bad if it void of larger iron.. it's when you try to get the smaller stuff that's left by VLFS because of mineral pulling them to iron range...buttons j hooks etc....they will sound good but that same sound will be small nails...and good lord the earth is full of that stuff in and camp site..and ration can pieces look out.sound so sweet...

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
May 24, 2015 04:36AM
Wow! You did good TNSS this is only the beginning, but not every trip out with the ATX will be as successful you'll have bad days too.

As Keith mentioned, its in mineralized soil is were the ATX will snag the smaller finds VLF will miss. Masking from the poor soil will hid these smaller pieces from VLF, takes a pi to get them.

Continue with it, these recent scores are just the beginning.

P.S. suppose to hunt with some buddies tomorrow but my leg is killing me. Old age finally got the best of me.

Congrats with your recent finds,
Paul
May 24, 2015 04:50AM
Thanks Paul. I wish I lived in your neck of the woods. Sounds like you have some great spots. Everyday I log on here I'm expecting you or one of your hunting buddies to find the BIG one. I read your post on other forums as well. Your post are always well thought out and tell a nice story. I'm one of your followers I guess is what I'm saying. Good luck on your hunt and I hope your leg feels better.
May 24, 2015 07:46AM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nothing real earth shattering from a gold
> standpoint in the numbers department, but here in
> poor backwoods Tn, beggars can't be choosy.

Dude. Any day you find gold is a good day. In any state.
Nice.

smiling smiley
mike
May 24, 2015 08:35AM
Excellent first hunt - welcome to the PI world!
May 24, 2015 12:19PM
I said the same thing about the pulse machines...only gonna use them for special purpose sites. Then the next thing you know, that is what I primarily hunt with. I only use a VLF for when the iron gets too thick or in places the EMI wont let me run one. Once I started signal checking/comparing with my best VLF machine and seeing what was coming out of the ground that the VLF couldn't get a signal on or that it reported as iron...it was a no brainer for me on what I would be using the most.