Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

How many of you CTX/Etrac users have dug............

Posted by tnsharpshooter 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
How many of you CTX/Etrac users have dug............
May 24, 2015 12:57PM
this may also apply to explorers, don't know though I've never run one. How many of you have dug a good target i.e. coin just by the screen readout---no tone whatsoever??? I've seen this myself when testing CTX and have seen it also in a few you tube vids when folks are testing. But how about when out hunting????

And since the etrac and CTX machines don't have true AM, is it fair to say the pinpoint function on the machines is no deeper than say in detect mode with an open screen----maybe with fast "off" and deep "on"???????????

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2015 01:00PM by tnsharpshooter.
wjs
Re: How many of you CTX/Etrac users have dug............
May 24, 2015 01:57PM
I have never dug one with no sound and just numbers. I do think the pinpoint mode is deeper than the detecting mode for sure.
May 24, 2015 02:06PM
And if the pinpoint is deeper and since it can be locked on CTX and the cursor does seem to go to the right place on the screen many times when pinpointing. Has anyone hunted with CTX in pinpoint only and dug some deeep good stuff. Maybe in an area/spot that has already produced some deeper finds???? Maybe not to trashy with loads of iron......
May 24, 2015 02:19PM
I never used any thing but the smart screen. The ferr. Numbers were to unreliable. There was just so much more info on the screen to get me in the ball park.
May 24, 2015 03:20PM
Check my vid out on findmall .
There are naysayers that say it does not work and that they don't want to watch the screen all the time .
If your in a area that has tons of trash this is one of several ways to get more from it .
Areas that have been pounded by you and ever-body else and every detector you have used but you got very good coins in this area and you know there's more there but can't get them because of all the masking .
I have a explorer 2 and it nulls on this with the cursor peg in the bottom just like the ctx in all the other modes but in ferrous coin only on the ctx this shows the 2 targets on the screen.
I have hunted a fairgrounds for 10 years with a whites 6000 series 3, mxt ,fisher 1266, explorer 2 with small and large coils and dug countless coins here .
So enter the ctx 3 years ago my take here in the last 3 years has been 116 Indians 47 v nickels 15 buffs 63 barber dimes 40 mercury's and 16 roosevelt's ,I have only found 79 wheats 3 half dollars and 3 silver quarters and 2 gold rings 9 silver rings.
As you can see most big coins are gone and the wheat's roosevelt's are very few because they were not as deep as the Indians or barbers.

Getting back to coins without audio the thing your looking for is the more red in the cursor on the 12 line the more sure you have found a coin without audio .Things I look for in the cursor are red in the cursor the target travels across the 12 line back and forth between 12.32 and 12.38 coins that are not mask real heavy tend to lock solid at 12.37 to 12.38 on the 12 line .
Targets that are higher 12.39 to 12.50 are iron and usally are trying to run up and down the right side if you get audio at 12.39 to 12.50 dig but if you don't get audio then it is iron, coins with iron are always down graded to 12.37 to 12.38 penny dime quarter half as for nickels they will come in at 12.09 to 12.11 with iron Indians 12.20 to 12.30 these #s are traveling on the 12 line back and forth between the 2 #s.
Yes there are other nonferrous targets that will display this behavior pull-tab 12.05 to 12.13 depending on the size of it screw caps and assorted brass items .

The way I hunt using this is to sweep 3 feet one way and back the other way you do not want to sweep 5 or 6 feet back and forth because it's hard to watch the screen .This is used where there is tons of signals , if you were to run disc here it would be a total null because of all the targets so slow is the key you will not cover much ground but you are checking 10 to 15 signals per pass compared to 3 or 4 in a more open less target rich spot .
6 inch coil is a must here because of all the targets but does work with the stock coil if your brain can keep up .
Most coins and nonferrous targets that I have found are with iron at the same level as the nonferrous target or coin or the iron is below the target I have found a few with the iron above the good target but the iron was smaller than the ones I have found with it at the same level or below .Just remember red in top cursor travel back and forth on the 12 line at 12.37 to 12.38 anything higher is not with iron 12.39 to 12.50 which well be iron or a FALSE and usally does not travel back and forth on the 12 line it stays pretty stable at say 12.39 or higher .But iron tends to travel up and down.

This is my 4 th year running the ctx and I am still learning but this is what I am seeing at this point .
I will find 2 to 3 coins a hunt using this and when you see this sweep 90 degrees to the hit and 50 percent of the time the target well sing because it's not a east west hit now .If it does not sing with the 90 degree change in direction it's mast the other way .Yes pinpoint is deeper but at these depths vd well be lost ,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2015 03:22PM by sube.
May 24, 2015 03:29PM
I have used pinpoint lock in areas I want to hunt deep the way I set it is to lock pinpoint in sizing only not normal and have target trace enabled that's pinpoint target trace not target trace .Scan one target at a time and watch the screen as you make several passes over target to build the target on the screen . It's slow but it well get coins and nonferrous items deeper than disc mode.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2015 03:30PM by sube.
May 24, 2015 08:26PM
Thanks Sube!!
I have a few sites I'll try and see what happens.
May 24, 2015 08:40PM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Has anyone hunted with CTX in
> pinpoint only and dug some deeep good stuff.
> Maybe not to trashy with
> loads of iron......

TN,
I usually hunt that way over 3/4ths of the time. (Locked and set PP mode to sizing.)
It gives you much more audio info about the size and shape of the target.
And you can move the coil extra slowly when you hear those small signals.

Then with trace on, you can look at the screen to see what the coil has been/is seeing.
I especially use it in trashy areas.
(Note that when you hunt this way, you'll occassionally have to clear the screen by turning PP off then back on. Otherwise it starts to look like a paintball target.)

The screen can look like an air traffic control radar sometimes, but the black cursor will move to each item as you slowly move the coil.
I can have four other signals under the coil at the same time, and still pick out the dime...even with a big coil.

Frankly, I'm surprised it's not more readily used. The pinpoint lock feature was added by request (in the update) for that very reason.

HH,
mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2015 08:44PM by Mike in CO.
May 24, 2015 08:54PM
I haven't I don't think seen it discussed or brought up on this forum. I got to thinking last nite about all the CTX has to offer and the I believe 2nd poster above triggered my mind and then I asked. I appreciate the info. I've been laying off the CTX for the last months. I need to get out and use it more. Now I have something else to try. I have had good luck with it when I used it. I put a tie strap around my detector's shaft. Then I clip my harness right through the tie strap. Seems to work OK. Not the lightest detector, but very effective. Thanks again. Now I have another arrow in my quiver, or so I feel.