Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

What are we here for?

Posted by ncwayne 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
What are we here for?
May 24, 2015 03:19PM
i joined this forum just over a year ago, when I had just purchased an F75SE and was looking for information to help me use it well. I thought it to be the best source of help and knowledge from other detectorists available at the time. I still think so, but I'm having to work a lot harder at separating the wheat from the chaff these days. Maybe it's just me. Maybe it's some of you, too?

A forum is a community, and like all communities, it has a mix of individuals, egos of all sizes, varied interests and intellects. White collar. Blue collar. No collar. Some almost too busy to tune in and some, as the saying goes, who might need to get a life (outside the forum). The thing is, and it's a very natural thing, we gravitate to certain other individuals who we feel are like us. Others, not so much. Maybe they are too loud, ask too many frivolous questions, come across as too judgmental, or act superior. Maybe they like to rag on machines they have never owned or put down individuals who disagree with them.

We are all different but we have at least one thing in common. We enjoy detecting. We like talking about detecting and we like discussing the equipment that we use in an effort to learn from each other and to help one another. Obviously, we enjoy making good finds and sharing our excitement about those finds, here, as well. Our excitement is contagious. So is our passion. But so can discourtesy and disrespect be contagious.

So again I ask, what are we here for? Is it to bash machines we have never owned? To put down those with whom we disagree? To detract from the sharing of information and help between one another? To sow discourtesy and disrespect?
I certainly hope not, but some threads and some posts make me wonder.

We are so fortunate to have a number of highly experienced and knowledgeable members here on this forum. That is probably why many of us are here. I try to introduce new threads and make replies that do not detract from this primary strength of this forum.
Not that there isn't or shouldn't be room for some fun on this forum, there should be. But not at the expense of others on this forum.

This is Tom's forum. It's on his dime, and he's a busy man. I'd like to think that when he tunes in, and when he views a thread, that he feels the time he took to view it was well spent. Hopefully that is something on which we can all agree.

This is but one member's view and opinion. I joined the forum because of what it was when I joined; not to try to make it into something different. I hope I have been true to that aim.

Thanks for reading.

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
Re: What are we here for?
May 24, 2015 03:34PM
As time goes by Wayne the wheat and the chaff indeed do separate themselves. Be it by hand or machinery. Very evident that quite a few are desiring what they cannnot get elsewhere here. Some bring the chaff with them. We've seen some of them change to wheat and some the wind just blows away like chaff LOL. Still we welcome them with open ideas and let the wind do it's work.
May 24, 2015 03:52PM
Right at the top of the forum it reads

"Thomas Dankowski Open Forum
This is an Open Forum to discuss any metal detecting questions or subjects. Please feel free to discuss any subject, in good taste and with due respect to all users. Thomas Dankowski frequents this forum and is happy to share his knowledge and experience to answer questions along with many other metal detecting experts who frequent this forum." But if you read the second sentence "Please feel free to discuss any subject, in good taste and with due respect to all users." Well, I believe the intent was just that - diversity. Do I want to come on here and just read about this or that program or what exactly is TX Boost, who uses fast on or fast off? No. I like the different personalities, struggles and stories all have to share. I choose to click on the treads of my choice. The good threads seem to float to the top and the lesser ones sink to the bottom. Some even forgotten in a week or two.

Kenny
[www.youtube.com]
May 24, 2015 04:13PM
Focus on the posts that deal with metal detecting. Ask questions on those issues you seek more knowledge - there is someone on this site that can help with almost any question you ask. The rest of the stuff just ignore ( assuming you are just looking for an education from the Metal detecting Professors on this site). Try to ignore the drama. That is what I do and it seems to work. Most of the time.

Bryanna - Nebraska

Current - New to me but not new MXT Pro and T2 SE2 - Previous Minelab Sovereign GT, Minelab Safari, Whites DFX, Whites Eagle Spectrum
Smile its a good for you!
Anonymous User
May 24, 2015 05:55PM
I realize everybody is not like me and I am willing to put up with them.

[www.youtube.com]
May 24, 2015 06:04PM
What are we here for?

I always wanted to know the meaning of life smiling smiley after detecting is over.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2015 06:05PM by guvmore.
May 24, 2015 07:06PM
Awesome post Wayne! Thanks for sharing your thoughts!!
May 24, 2015 07:19PM
Beer, popcorn and to watch the movie screen grinning smiley

J/K!

Sorta!

But -- I like to post finds, see finds posted by others, read the latest rundown on a new machine, see who finds what good/bad about ea. machine, read the stories of personal experiences while hunting, and more...

It's all good smiling smiley
May 24, 2015 08:09PM
Ncwayne, excellent post, Thank You.

Your post and the follow ups by Jack Flynn, Khouse and Bryannagirl pretty well sum up the whole philosophy of this site. The "Please feel free to discuss any subject, in good taste and with due respect to all users." Is pretty much the only rule on this forum, with Thomas Dankowski being the final say on what is in good taste and respectful to others. I run the everyday mechanics of keeping this forum running (and to delete the spammers as best as I can) and most e-mail (site administrator and such) comes to me. Sometimes, I choose not to delete a post (not saying I agree with the said post), but determine that the post does not rise to the level of ‘bad taste’ or disrespect to warrant a deletion (using guidance from Tom’s previous decisions), though some are very borderline and there seems to be more borderline issues every day. Tom always has the final say. We try not to delete posts unless they are clearly aggressive, disrespectful or intentionally misleading. Some posts, written in the passion of the moment, are left unedited, the original author can do that for themselves if needed. The chaff separates from the wheat and the really good wheat rises to the top. If there is a certain author or contributor that seems to always have great posts, then you can chose to read their posts. If you find that a contributor’s postings are not worth reading, then you can chose not to read them. In short, I will not choose for you, just about everything is left here to read.

In the eight and a half years this forum has been running, we have only banned a handful of members (spammers not included). Many members of this forum have been banned from other forums, making this a forum of last resort (?). You have to try hard to be banned from this forum, and it seems that some do actually try. We try to be as fair as we can about banning people and warnings are ALWAYS given before banning. This is Tom’s forum, and if he determines that an individual is disrespectful, disruptive or detrimental to the forum community as a whole, they are banned although we prefer not to have to go that route.

This forum is open for the sake of diversity. Tom and I have often pondered the idea of making many sub-categories in the forum like other forums have chosen to do, but he thinks lumping them all together gives people the opportunity to be exposed to subjects they might have thought didn’t apply to their hunting environments, but learn a few tricks when curiosity leads them to read the posting. Someday, this might change if everything just gets too big to be reasonably manageable under one forum heading, but we’ll see. Although this is a metal detecting forum and is more of a technically biased site, just about anything within reason and ‘good taste’ can be discussed, letting each member decide what to read and what to skip.

Again, thank you for the insightful postings.

Wally
May 24, 2015 08:17PM
Thanks for posting this response to Wayne's initial post!! This site is really growing on me! When I started this hobby I wasn't as much into the "Tech" side as I am starting to be know! Great forum guys!!
May 24, 2015 08:24PM
Heck we are all different its just a fact of life...Personally I read posts with a grain of salt and well after a while you know which ones to read as some guys are more factual and well some just are not...Diversity is what makes it interesting so lets not be wallflowers and become dancers not matter how well we dance as that's the way we learn..
Anonymous User
May 24, 2015 11:48PM
wildwally1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ncwayne, excellent post, Thank You.
>
> Your post and the follow ups by Jack Flynn,
> Khouse and Bryannagirl pretty well sum up the
> whole philosophy of this site. The "Please feel
> free to discuss any subject, in good taste and
> with due respect to all users." Is pretty much the
> only rule on this forum, with Thomas Dankowski
> being the final say on what is in good taste and
> respectful to others. I run the everyday
> mechanics of keeping this forum running (and to
> delete the spammers as best as I can) and most
> e-mail (site administrator and such) comes to me.
> Sometimes, I choose not to delete a post (not
> saying I agree with the said post), but determine
> that the post does not rise to the level of ‘bad
> taste’ or disrespect to warrant a deletion
> (using guidance from Tom’s previous decisions),
> though some are very borderline and there seems to
> be more borderline issues every day. Tom always
> has the final say. We try not to delete posts
> unless they are clearly aggressive, disrespectful
> or intentionally misleading. Some posts, written
> in the passion of the moment, are left unedited,
> the original author can do that for themselves if
> needed. The chaff separates from the wheat and
> the really good wheat rises to the top. If there
> is a certain author or contributor that seems to
> always have great posts, then you can chose to
> read their posts. If you find that a
> contributor’s postings are not worth reading,
> then you can chose not to read them. In short, I
> will not choose for you, just about everything is
> left here to read.
>
> In the eight and a half years this forum has
> been running, we have only banned a handful of
> members (spammers not included). Many members of
> this forum have been banned from other forums,
> making this a forum of last resort (?). You have
> to try hard to be banned from this forum, and it
> seems that some do actually try. We try to be as
> fair as we can about banning people and warnings
> are ALWAYS given before banning. This is Tom’s
> forum, and if he determines that an individual is
> disrespectful, disruptive or detrimental to the
> forum community as a whole, they are banned
> although we prefer not to have to go that route.
>
>
> This forum is open for the sake of diversity.
> Tom and I have often pondered the idea of making
> many sub-categories in the forum like other forums
> have chosen to do, but he thinks lumping them all
> together gives people the opportunity to be
> exposed to subjects they might have thought
> didn’t apply to their hunting environments, but
> learn a few tricks when curiosity leads them to
> read the posting. Someday, this might change if
> everything just gets too big to be reasonably
> manageable under one forum heading, but we’ll
> see. Although this is a metal detecting forum
> and is more of a technically biased site, just
> about anything within reason and ‘good taste’
> can be discussed, letting each member decide what
> to read and what to skip.
>
> Again, thank you for the insightful
> postings.
>
> Wally

Certainly everyone brings something different to the site. Some issues are hotter than others. If someone is more apt to be included in the hot posts they should show the responsibility that comes with being involved in them. That does not mean anyone is better.or smarter etc.. than anyone else. Any subject can become a hot issue although some tend to get there a little quicker. Personally ,I'm a PITA but I know it. I try to bring what I have experience in. Some of those issues can become hot topics and I don't have to share,and probably shouldn't share some things that may not be beneficial to detecting.

Feeling that moderation can be a no win situation I don't complain about a post being deleted nor do I try to give advice to authority. I don't automatically think a deleted post is the fault of the OP as some other member's actions on those is not always something to brag about. While it might be best that some posts not be started , two or more wrongs doesn't equal a right. I found your statement - "Many members of this forum have been banned from other forums," interesting. That might explain why someone like me that just didn't fit in some other places is encountering a little friction. Just razzin' em a little ,of course.
May 25, 2015 12:07AM
Kemper Wrote:
> wildwally1 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Ncwayne, excellent post, Thank You.
> >
> > Your post and the follow ups by Jack
> Flynn,
> > Khouse and Bryannagirl pretty well sum up the
> > whole philosophy of this site. The "Please
> feel
> > free to discuss any subject, in good taste and
> > with due respect to all users." Is pretty much
> the
> > only rule on this forum, with Thomas Dankowski
> > being the final say on what is in good taste
> and
> > respectful to others. I run the everyday
> > mechanics of keeping this forum running (and to
> > delete the spammers as best as I can) and most
> > e-mail (site administrator and such) comes to
> me.
> > Sometimes, I choose not to delete a post (not
> > saying I agree with the said post), but
> determine
> > that the post does not rise to the level of
> ‘bad
> > taste’ or disrespect to warrant a deletion
> > (using guidance from Tom’s previous
> decisions),
> > though some are very borderline and there seems
> to
> > be more borderline issues every day. Tom always
> > has the final say. We try not to delete posts
> > unless they are clearly aggressive,
> disrespectful
> > or intentionally misleading. Some posts,
> written
> > in the passion of the moment, are left
> unedited,
> > the original author can do that for themselves
> if
> > needed. The chaff separates from the wheat and
> > the really good wheat rises to the top. If
> there
> > is a certain author or contributor that seems
> to
> > always have great posts, then you can chose to
> > read their posts. If you find that a
> > contributor’s postings are not worth reading,
> > then you can chose not to read them. In short,
> I
> > will not choose for you, just about everything
> is
> > left here to read.
> >
> > In the eight and a half years this forum
> has
> > been running, we have only banned a handful of
> > members (spammers not included). Many members
> of
> > this forum have been banned from other forums,
> > making this a forum of last resort (?). You
> have
> > to try hard to be banned from this forum, and
> it
> > seems that some do actually try. We try to be
> as
> > fair as we can about banning people and
> warnings
> > are ALWAYS given before banning. This is
> Tom’s
> > forum, and if he determines that an individual
> is
> > disrespectful, disruptive or detrimental to the
> > forum community as a whole, they are banned
> > although we prefer not to have to go that route.
>
> >
> >
> > This forum is open for the sake of
> diversity.
> > Tom and I have often pondered the idea of
> making
> > many sub-categories in the forum like other
> forums
> > have chosen to do, but he thinks lumping them
> all
> > together gives people the opportunity to be
> > exposed to subjects they might have thought
> > didn’t apply to their hunting environments,
> but
> > learn a few tricks when curiosity leads them to
> > read the posting. Someday, this might change
> if
> > everything just gets too big to be reasonably
> > manageable under one forum heading, but we’ll
> > see. Although this is a metal detecting forum
> > and is more of a technically biased site, just
> > about anything within reason and ‘good
> taste’
> > can be discussed, letting each member decide
> what
> > to read and what to skip.
> >
> > Again, thank you for the insightful
> > postings.
> >
> > Wally
>
> Certainly everyone brings something different to
> the site. Some issues are hotter than others. If
> someone is more apt to be included in the hot
> posts they should show the responsibility that
> comes with being involved in them. That does not
> mean anyone is better.or smarter etc.. than anyone
> else. Any subject can become a hot issue although
> some tend to get there a little quicker.
> Personally ,I'm a PITA but I know it. I try to
> bring what I have experience in. Some of those
> issues can become hot topics and I don't have to
> share,and probably shouldn't share some things
> that may not be beneficial to detecting.
>
> Feeling that moderation can be a no win situation
> I don't complain about a post being deleted nor do
> I try to give advice to authority. I don't
> automatically think a deleted post is the fault of
> the OP as some other member's actions on those is
> not always something to brag about. While it might
> be best that some posts not be started , two or
> more wrongs doesn't equal a right. I found your
> statement - "Many members of this forum have
> been banned from other forums," interesting. That
> might explain why someone like me that just didn't
> fit in some other places is encountering a little
> friction. Just razzin' em a little ,of course.
I was kicked off the Depot because the owner asked me a stupid question through a PM. I replied "Who are you?" Then I got cussed out and banned for life. I'm now able to get back on through a glitch when he switched servers.
I was kicked off of Findmall after 5600+ posts. After 6 months they said they didn't know anything about it? Then said I was welcome back. I haven't been back.........
So maybe my time is near the end here?

Kenny
[www.youtube.com]
Anonymous User
May 25, 2015 12:51AM
I was kicked off the Depot because the owner asked me a stupid question through a PM. I replied "Who are you?" Then I got cussed out and banned for life. I'm now able to get back on through a glitch when he switched servers.
I was kicked off of Findmall after 5600+ posts. After 6 months they said they didn't know anything about it? Then said I was welcome back. I haven't been back.........
So maybe my time is near the end here?

Kenny
[www.youtube.com]

I think a lot of times the authority is involved in threads and the member feels like they should be able to treat them like another member. Which they should be able to and the authority should let stuff slide just like a member should. It is hard to tell whether they are speaking as a member or authority or both. Hard for them not to use that power but when they are proven wrong they don't like to admit it. I never heard a mod say they were wrong about anything. I'm not saying they should not be respected but when someone is banned it may show that something is lacking in the mod rather than the person that was banned.
May 25, 2015 01:11AM
Good things come to those who wait. And
History repeats itself.

Discrimination is the root of all evil.
May 25, 2015 02:28AM
I only was banned from the views, and consider it a badge of honour. I was stupid to have gone there in the first place my interest is in detecting not chest pounding... HH
May 25, 2015 02:56AM
I get on the net to:
1) learn
2) be entertained

I come here to:
1) learn
2) share what little I know in the spirit of giving back to the hobby. i feel a debt to those that so graciously helped me when I was getting back into it.
May 25, 2015 07:58AM
I come here to learn and share what I found from what was gained here. The excitement of a find because you know what I'm feeling. We all have friends who could care less about...as they put it...digging in the dirt. For us it is much more than that and we know that be it a new persons first wheat or a old timers first what ever we can come here and folks will share in that excitement.

This forum has a ton of tech help but showing finds or talking about finds is part of it as well. Read what interest you and help where you can, bypass the drama.
May 26, 2015 12:33AM
I come here because this forum has very few pics , so it down loads quick, and I love reading all the teck stuff, most of it goes over my head, but I pick up some things, and I like to throw a joke in from time to time, life is short to take anything seriously, believe me, I've been on the net for a long time and a lot of old guys are detecting north of here, so be sweet and enjoy life
May 26, 2015 12:48AM
Just love detecting...and I have alot to learn.
May 26, 2015 03:23AM
What are we here for? I'm not a big Rick Warren fan, but in his book 'The Purpose Driven Life' he states: 'We are here for God's pleasure'.
I am a Christian and many people have asked me this same question 'What are we here for?' I share this simple answer with them.
May 26, 2015 03:31AM
Tom is a benevolent Overlord. Once upon a time I got riled up about what another member was up to and PM'd To, about it. I got a calm reply assuring me that things wouldn't get out of hand, and sure enough they didn't.

I like it here.

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2015 03:41AM by lytle78.
May 26, 2015 03:43AM
Meant to say "PM'd Tom..."

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
May 26, 2015 04:15AM
Lipservice Wrote:
> What are we here for? I'm not a big Rick Warren
> fan, but in his book 'The Purpose Driven Life' he
> states: 'We are here for God's pleasure'.
> I am a Christian and many people have asked me
> this same question 'What are we here for?' I share
> this simple answer with them.

Excellent answer----also----2 Peter 3:9
May 26, 2015 04:36AM
If people lived by the "Golden rule" maybe it would be a better place.
May 26, 2015 11:04AM
Golden rule- The one with all the gold, makes all the rules....that one? Or...Do unto others before they do it unto you? or that one?

Kidding aside, as to the topic, no one knows why we are here.....we can speculate, we can read the Bible....but it's all faith and guesses.

Actually there shouldn't be anything in existence. How do you get something from nothing? Where did the energy start becoming energy? Energy into matter? For me there has to be a great inventor. We refer him as God....some don't believe in a supreme being...I can't common sense there not being God.

When someone asks me 'where did God come from?' Of course the Book says 'always was and always will be'. I say 'where does the universe end' If there is no end to it (how can there be, what's on the other side of 'the end') then there is no beginning or end to God. Could be where the dimensions thing comes in....my head hurts, got to go watch cartoons.

Just realized this subject could turn ugly, oh well I'm not deleting what I typed....took too long.
May 26, 2015 03:27PM
Do unto others as they would do unto you, but do it first.

works real well both ways.
May 27, 2015 01:17AM
wildwally1 Wrote:
> Ncwayne, excellent post, Thank You.
>
> Your post and the follow ups by Jack Flynn,
> Khouse and Bryannagirl pretty well sum up the
> whole philosophy of this site. The "Please feel
> free to discuss any subject, in good taste and
> with due respect to all users." Is pretty much the
> only rule on this forum, with Thomas Dankowski
> being the final say on what is in good taste and
> respectful to others. I run the everyday
> mechanics of keeping this forum running (and to
> delete the spammers as best as I can) and most
> e-mail (site administrator and such) comes to me.
> Sometimes, I choose not to delete a post (not
> saying I agree with the said post), but determine
> that the post does not rise to the level of ‘bad
> taste’ or disrespect to warrant a deletion
> (using guidance from Tom’s previous decisions),
> though some are very borderline and there seems to
> be more borderline issues every day. Tom always
> has the final say. We try not to delete posts
> unless they are clearly aggressive, disrespectful
> or intentionally misleading. Some posts, written
> in the passion of the moment, are left unedited,
> the original author can do that for themselves if
> needed. The chaff separates from the wheat and
> the really good wheat rises to the top. If there
> is a certain author or contributor that seems to
> always have great posts, then you can chose to
> read their posts. If you find that a
> contributor’s postings are not worth reading,
> then you can chose not to read them. In short, I
> will not choose for you, just about everything is
> left here to read.
>
> In the eight and a half years this forum has
> been running, we have only banned a handful of
> members (spammers not included). Many members of
> this forum have been banned from other forums,
> making this a forum of last resort (?). You have
> to try hard to be banned from this forum, and it
> seems that some do actually try. We try to be as
> fair as we can about banning people and warnings
> are ALWAYS given before banning. This is Tom’s
> forum, and if he determines that an individual is
> disrespectful, disruptive or detrimental to the
> forum community as a whole, they are banned
> although we prefer not to have to go that route.
>
>
> This forum is open for the sake of diversity.
> Tom and I have often pondered the idea of making
> many sub-categories in the forum like other forums
> have chosen to do, but he thinks lumping them all
> together gives people the opportunity to be
> exposed to subjects they might have thought
> didn’t apply to their hunting environments, but
> learn a few tricks when curiosity leads them to
> read the posting. Someday, this might change if
> everything just gets too big to be reasonably
> manageable under one forum heading, but we’ll
> see. Although this is a metal detecting forum
> and is more of a technically biased site, just
> about anything within reason and ‘good taste’
> can be discussed, letting each member decide what
> to read and what to skip.
>
> Again, thank you for the insightful
> postings.
>
> Wally

i want to talk about "deflategate"!..brady is guilty!
"crafty kraft"..pitched him anyway! crafty bob knows!

(h.h.!)
j.t.