Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Racer & Beaver Tails

Posted by FollowTheBeep 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Racer & Beaver Tails
May 24, 2015 04:25PM
Now that I have my Racer, I have switched my focus in parks from coin hunting to jewelry. In doing so I dig more of the older pull tabs which is to be expected. One thing that I have noticed is that if the beaver tail is still attached to the ring the Racer let's me know with a high pitched chirp next to the regular tone for the ring part. This holds true about 95% of the time based on how the pull tab is situated in the ground. It is similar to the low grunt of a crown cap but high pitched instead.

Has anyone else noticed this or is it a common thing on most detectors? This is with the stock coil.
Re: Racer & Beaver Tails
May 24, 2015 04:30PM
Where I have trouble is when a ring pull has the tab wrapped around it. The wrapping of the aluminum amps up the conductivity so the detector reads it higher. And when hunting for gold, if all pulls had the tabs wrapped this would be a good thing when hunting for gold jewelry with the Racer. Coin hunting different story though.
May 24, 2015 04:36PM
I agree, those have fooled me as well. They sound good when wrapped.
May 24, 2015 07:35PM
I don't know about the racer but I just dug 3 of these stupid things the other day which came in the zinc penny range just blipping into the penny/dime range,so I dug them up. I suppose at depth one just has to take the chance even though the beaver tail may be fooling us being all wrapped up in itself. All 3 were 7-8" in mild black dirt with nothing else around that I could detect. I guess what I'm trying to say is...those things are super annoying.
May 24, 2015 07:47PM
I hate the new pulltabs that ID as a nickel, the newer ones come come in an array of exotic colors, if you run into beavertails at least they ID a little higher than a nickel. I used to say if you are digging aluminum the site is too new. Now days the aluminum disease has spread everywhere, even at an old pre civil war sites. If you are in the farm belt you can bet that aluminum has been discarded when the beverage is done with. Besides you can save money by selling the stuff. But in my part of the country, it just gets buried in the ground to delight the detectorists.
May 24, 2015 08:11PM
The beaver tail is actually when its broke off and on most detectors comes in foil just below nickel...Otherwise its just a variety of pulltab...However fail to dig one could cost you a nice womens gold ring which is the top gold ring lost percentage wise...Audio variances indeed increase your chances and those that pick them up excel....
May 24, 2015 08:41PM
Hey Dan, Didn't you have a way of eliminating some pull tabs from gold rings with a Tesoro Pantera ? I know like with the V3i nothin' is 100%, But any edge you can get helps.
May 25, 2015 12:03AM
I find that the majority of newer style pop tabs ring in at 82, it's the older pull tabs without the tail that I have been digging more of lately in my search for rings. If I hear the good tone in conjunction with a tiny chirp, I know it's a tab complete with ring & tail.
May 25, 2015 12:41AM
Harold on older Tesoro notch detectors here is the audio variance. Rings usually weigh much more than a tab or foil that imitate gold rings..In pinpoint they just hold the tone much longer..Sure a lead sinker, large foil, large can slaw, key can fool anyone but those that have older notch Tesoro's try a tab and large gold ring such as college etc. and in this case the difference is really noticeable. Try it and then go down to smaller gold ring and foil that imitates it and it will be there but not as noticeable. Sure it is not 100 percent but to a trained ear cuts down the odds to dig or not...Fatiguing at best especially in a local park where tabs and foil abound but it works. Does not work on the Golden U-max as it has a different type pinpoint. Try it and a light may go on...sure worth a try...
PS: my hearing is not the best but did a lot of experimenting...