Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Recent Beach Outing with Info and Images

Posted by SilverPeter 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Recent Beach Outing with Info and Images
July 22, 2010 01:36AM
Having a great time applying what I have learned from the Beach half of the DVD set.
Here's an example from a 45 minute outing at a favorite beach. (Yes-That is Black Sand you see)

The best trough or line was in the upper section of the cut... Every time I drifted to far into the wet, sure enough all the penny's and pull tabs were there! Also interesting, the
Iron Trough" was right between 2 clad coin troughs. (all the iron was in the 6" to 8" range) The lead weight was in the same line as the quarter/dime trough. (but at 4"-So I estimate the gold goodies were probably 6" or so deeper. Am I right in my thinking???)

Viewing a 4' to 5' cut at various locations.

and another ring!!
Re: Recent Beach Outing with Info and Images
July 22, 2010 11:40AM
Way cool!!! Thanks for the photo's and onfo!!
July 22, 2010 12:10PM
SP, thanks for taking the time & illustrating how you took the info and put it to use. Pictures always work well for me. That was excellent. The finds in only 45 min were above average...at least the average before Toms video (thanks Tom!!).
July 22, 2010 07:33PM
I would have thought the pennies and pulltabs would have occupied the higher line rather than the line nearest the water....being lighter wouldn't they tend to washed further ashore? Wouldn't the heavier items tend to be dropped by the surf lower on the beach? I'm confused.
July 22, 2010 11:29PM
Hey TN and Ozzie... Thanks! Kinda fun for me to do this... and an education for me big time.

Hey Jeff-Watch the DVD again. Look for the part where Tom talks about the water "slapping" at the surface and "pulling" it back with each action.
That is exactly the case here. The lighter items that DID NOT SINK in the first place, are already near the surface.... (This particualr spot had a nice "cut" going)
AND easily drawn DOWN the slope. Leaving the heavier targets behind.... To be exposed by the action.

Since the greatest wave action occurs near the blanket line, AND the water spends less time here during a tide action, wouldn't
it make sense that "fresh exposer" and "less time to sink" + "lighter items drawn down the slope" EQUALS higher+better finds.

OK-Here is another example from today... More gold! And yes-found about 4 feet below the blanket line. (4+ inches down)
To clarify, the object is a gold tooth crown. Weighs 2.2 grams. Nice heavy feel to it too. (The Merc is there for size comparison.)
Pretty cool considering most crowns are made up of 75% nobel metal. (In this case gold) As I understand it, this crown can
be anywhere from 14k to 20k!

Funny but sounded like a bottle cap. So... WHY did I go after a "junk sounding" target based on the above info??????????
Thanks Tom. Really fun using your techniques and seeing them pay off right out of the gate. The gold crown was located during my lunch break.
So the above finds (less the clad found today) were picked up in just 80 minutes of detecting. Did I mention that the sum total of these finds FAR exceeds
hours and hours of detecting on the beach using my "old method"???? (Your right ozzie!)
Thanks again!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2010 04:06AM by SilverPeter.
July 23, 2010 01:26AM
Photo worth 1000 words. Your learning curve is tremendous. You are right on target. Yes, in general...... gold is deeper......or in a slightly different area from the lead......usually in 'higher density supportive sand'. VERY good post w/descriptive write-up.