Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Detectors and battery voltage levels,,,a question

Posted by tnsharpshooter 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Detectors and battery voltage levels,,,a question
June 01, 2015 04:44PM
I've read where the White's TDI depth performance starts to diminish over time with use--battery discharge.
Also I believe NASA Tom stated the F75 platform's performance stayed optimal until machine shuts down with battery discharge.
My question is, what other detectors out there are there that suffer say depth performance losses when the battery is at a less than desirable battery charge level?????
(yet still functions)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2015 07:47PM by tnsharpshooter.
Re: Detectors and battery voltage levels,,,a question
June 01, 2015 05:07PM
I don't know, but what i do know is that, the reason why some drop in performance and some don't, is that some detectors use a "voltage gate" that maintains voltage levels until the battery is depleted. I know the f75, etrac, and the ctx use them. I don't think the v3i does. The v3i's battery charges at 11 volts, then stays around ten, then nine, then once it gets to eight, it drops rapidly.

Bey
June 01, 2015 05:58PM
I know from experience that the Tesoro Vaquero is affected in that regard.----I believe Keith stated that the Tejons performance is affected also.
June 01, 2015 07:10PM
All modern machines have voltage regulation inbuilt.
So as batteries deplete the voltage regulator provides a regulated output to allow all functions to remain working to designed capacity.
Older analogue machines suffered from a performance and subsequent depth loss.
Of late X-Terras and the F19 reduce speaker volume as power is used up to keep you going in the hunt.
June 01, 2015 08:00PM
It's interesting that the Tejon was mentioned as being affected. Over on the Geotech1 forum, someone posted a dissection of the circuit, and it had Voltage Regulators in all the relevant places.
June 01, 2015 08:21PM
I saw an article once that said a Xp Deus suffered a bit due to lower coil battery charge. I haven't tried to see if I can duplicate. Also sometimes makes me wonder about air testing data. Many even when doing videos don't usually refer to battery charge level. Could it skew results??? I'd say so, depending on the detector.
June 01, 2015 11:02PM
Some PIs can suffer from lower voltage. I don't think its very critical on VHFs as long as its above the regulated voltage output.

June 02, 2015 03:08AM
I'll second that statement about the Vaquero.
June 02, 2015 03:59AM
Pimento The Tejon performance drops off in volume...so the sparkiness drops....

I believe the Audio is maybe by-passing the regulator..???Or working on a different one???

Believe me, when you get a Tejon that gives say 4 beeps on Bat test it is not very sparky ...get it to beep about 7 times on a test and its very amped up....The Tejons are supertuned even though the external thresh does not control the sparkiness of the disc like the Other Tesoros where you can crank it up and it makes the Disc audio sparky....(SATURATED) the tejon has an internal pot that is pretty much maxed out for the Disc circuit but as the voltage drops the Sparkiness drops...

Im not100% sure WHY but I see a GAIN drop on fewer beeps..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
June 02, 2015 01:42PM
Keith, can a battery with 3.5v work in detectors that take 1.2 AA batteries ? If so will it make the detector work longer? I have used 1.5 battery in my MXT and it works better than with 1.2 batteries How can you tell if a detector has is regulated ? Thanks flintstone
June 02, 2015 02:06PM
Most units have a voltage regulator so a new or older battery should give the same performance. Perhaps a learned individual can give a more detailed explanation and am sure all units are not the same...
June 02, 2015 02:23PM
On the Tejon, we used to change batteries when it got to 5 beeps on the battery test.

On the Whites TDI, I have ran mine til the warning light came on and then the machine died. I was digging deep buttons and bullets right until it went. I did not not notice any depth loss out of mine. The only thing I noticed was the threshold went away and I had to turn it full blast to barely hear it. That's when I noticed the battery light and knew what was up. I have not ran a GPX to the point that the battery expired on it though.
June 02, 2015 08:15PM
no flintstone I would not do that...you'll burn something up using the 3.5 in place of the 1.5 AA

Actually AA's are 1.5 volts not 1.2...1.2 is usually a rechargeable AA bat. in the mxt 12 fresh standard energizers in a MXT will show 12 volts....there's some higher voltage AA's out like energizer lithiums that are at 1.7 and thats 13.6 volts combined..I think a MXT can handle 14 or 15 volts.... but I would not dare put in the 3.5's that would be 28 volts...NO NO NO>>

Some machien's not turn on if the voltage is too high for obvious reasons...even the 1.7 lithium energizers would be pushing it in alot of units ..I know on a tejon Ive ran 1.7X8 13.6 volts on a 12 volt sysytem and got like above 10 beeps on start up but they dropped off pretty quick to about 8 beeps and stayed there a long time....

Just use some good 1.5's and you'll be happy..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
June 02, 2015 09:11PM
Thanks for the info, I just didn,t know. I will stick with the 1.5v.
June 02, 2015 09:23PM
Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> no flintstone I would not do that...you'll burn
> something up using the 3.5 in place of the 1.5 AA
> ...even the 1.7 lithium energizers would be pushing it in alot of units
> Keith

I used some lithium energizers in a LED headlamp to save weight, even though the manual warned against it.

It turned my Light Emitting Diode (LED) into a Dark Emitting Diode (DED).

smiling smiley
mike