Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

smiling bouncing smiley Home air test on your detectors

Posted by Johnnyanglo 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: smiling bouncing smiley Home air test on your detectors
June 09, 2015 06:38AM
it's "outrageously" good,and even though '4-pole" design.
with the "black max" 6" coil on board running in "sat" mode
with a slow scan in junk,will compare favorably with any "digital'
detector made today! that "dead nuts" accurate analog meter was an industry best!
when the mater "locked up" along with the "sweet" audio,you knew you had a coin!

(h.h.!)
j.t.
June 09, 2015 07:33AM
Hard to beat a AKA for air testing..... [youtu.be]
June 09, 2015 02:39PM
If there is no validity to air testing then why does Tom calibrate the CZ s to detect a dime at maximum depth in the air.
Good question HOBO!!!
June 09, 2015 03:06PM
Wondered about that myself.!!!
June 09, 2015 04:55PM
Yes the AKAs airtest beyond belief..

Yet in red clay I can not get it to be deeper than any other...

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
June 11, 2015 02:39AM
Hobo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If there is no validity to air testing then why
> does Tom calibrate the CZ s to detect a dime at
> maximum depth in the air.

Tom calibrated my 1021 CZ-3D and tested it in THE DIRT. Here is his private message to me when he was 'calibrating/validating' it:

"Just received the 1021 CZ-3D. . . . . and...........I have already run it through about 2/3's of a full calibration/validation. This one is a good one. I'm making several VERY minor calibration adjustments. I've boosted the auto-tune on this one .. a bit. It did have a pronounced deep target audio smear...........and this has been fully corrected. It is a very solid unit.......looks new.........and has full depth capabilities (12.0" on clad dime in real (Florida) dirt). I am really trying to finish this unit.........so I can get it in the mail system BEFORE the weekend. That way......it'll be 'mobile' over the weekend.....and in your hands next week."
June 11, 2015 12:42PM
Florida dirt is the same as air.
June 11, 2015 12:52PM
"Florida dirt is the same as air"
It's certainly has to be very mild. But one thing that gives away the fact it must have some magnetic behaviour is this: When Tom tests the F75LTD in Boost/BP mode, it doesn't really go any deeper. BP increases gain massively, and produces +30% area air-test increases, yet in the ground, it's near-zero %. So that tells you "Florida dirt" is the limiting factor, not raw detector gain.

sorry for off-topic chat
June 11, 2015 04:15PM
Pretty much. When I lived in Florida, I couldn't GB my Troy X-5. No mineralization.
June 11, 2015 09:03PM
Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes the AKAs airtest beyond belief..
>
> Yet in red clay I can not get it to be deeper than
> any other...
>
>
>
> Keith

The Deus does as well. You definitely need a yard stick and not a ruler!
June 12, 2015 01:32PM
Pimento........ that's exacting/correct. I have the most difficult time ascertaining depths (on coin-sized objects)....... anything measurably/much beyond approx 12" deep. . . . . in Florida dirt. I may have a CZ that'll air-test a clad dime to 12.3"......... and ......... in the ( ~ inert dirt Florida) ground it'll do 12.2". Then....... I may have a CZ that'll air-test a clad dime to 12.7". In Florida dirt....... it's good for approx 12.3" or 12.4". Then....................... a standard F75 will air-test a clad dime to 12.0" - 12.1". In the ground....... it's good for 11.9".
Then comes along the F75LTD (proto) with several boost processes................... and one of the prototype boost processes (that never made it to market) can ascertain a tiny Type-1 U.S. $1 Gold Coin to 17.4" in an air-test. Put the coin in (so-called 'inert' ) Florida dirt................ and detection is only good for approx 9.9" - 10.0". That's a major delta! Take this tiny gold coin to the beach....... and bury it in DRY silica sand...... and it can be detected to 11.4".
Minelab Explorer XS, Explorer 2, E-Trac, 3030.......... same exact resultant. I can list plenty of other detectors with same results.

LESSONS LEARNED = Obviously...... there is some form of attenuation encountered with this very mild dirt. The 'take-away' is: There are engineering clues to be gleaned (and acted upon) in all of this data.