Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Made my day

Posted by ozzie 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Made my day
August 02, 2010 02:47AM
I woke up at about 6 this morning, fed the dogs, and while drinking my coffee and eating waffels I was racking my brain thinking,,, where am I going to detect today? I looked into my notebook of places I have detected & nothing interested me. I thought about this hill that was behind some old stone occupied farmhouses. The hill is about 100 yards away from a county park that we have had good luck at finding jersey coppers to Spanish 1/2 reales. I decided to drive up to the farm house and ask permission. As I drove up the crushed stone driveway to the farmhouse, a big collie came out barking, doing his job. I figured I'd stay in the truck and some one will come out. Sure enough I heard a womens voice behind a screen door say "can I help you?" I said "good morning, can you tell me who owns the hill in the back" she said "wait a minute my husband will be out shortly". He came out with a concerned look. I introduced myself gave him my business card & asked him if that entire hill is his property, he said it was. We started talking about the age of his stone house and he told me that his family bought it in 1854 but it was built in 1750s. There were cows, cats, goats, chickens, a clothesline filled with items drying in the sun and a good size personal vegetable garden, plus a big red barn and scattered farm equipment....felt good to be there. Anyway he said go ahead, the hill up to the woods is mine have at it......YESSS!
I'd say the hill is about 15 to 20 acres & they use it for hay production, it was cut a week ago. At the top you can see for miles, nice view. After about two hours of hunting I found a couple clad, shot gun brass and .22 cal. lead...wooptiedoo, I hate getting skunked. The clouds started rolling in & I heard distant thunder, well I thought, I'd better get off this hill. I mosied on down still swinging the f-75, runnin in all metal heading back to the truck. I get a 62, 65, 4 inches deep and think ahhh, another zinc. Dug it, saw silver...,, dimes usually hit in the 70s. Put on my glasses, saw Miss liberty facing left, and the date, nice and sharp read 1820, LIBERTY also nice and clear,, its a capped buse dime!!..my first capped bust...... Made my day
Re: Made my day
August 02, 2010 04:07AM
That's fantastic! And at 4" Ozzie, must be other silver/relics right there.
Would be interesting to see if the hill was ever part of or used by the park
visitors. I know at several old parks many had shooting ranges so good chance
there perhaps.

Nice going!!
August 02, 2010 09:44AM
Great find! That would have made man days for me. HH jim tn
August 02, 2010 12:17PM
AWESOME!!!! Sweet dig!!!!!
August 03, 2010 01:01AM
A VDI of 62 - 65 is usually a silver HALF dime.
August 03, 2010 03:29AM
Tom, on that hill I couldnt run the 75 in disc mode 0 discrim, the vid & audio were flashing & sounding off 20 times a second. When I set discrim @ 6 it calmed down a little (still alot of popin & squeekin) but I cant bring myself to hunt any highher than 6 or with the sens lower than 85. So I switched to all metal with sens all the way up and for some odd reason it calmed down enough to hunt. but the threshold noise was abnormal and I couldnt control it with any threshold setting. Normally I dont hunt in AM. Does EMI effect ID? I was also suprised to see a silver dime (10C.) in the hole. I'll see what it air tests at away from interference. The soil was on the red side with 3/4" to hand size stone.. tough to dig.
August 03, 2010 09:14PM
Sounds like the ground is at 'blame' for mis-ID'ing. Hot ground.