Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

CZ-3D scores my first GOLD ring!

Posted by JeffNS 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
CZ-3D scores my first GOLD ring!
August 03, 2010 10:37AM
Quick hunt in a soccer field while my wife was getting her hair done left me feeling a bit defeated as I had hunted the length of the field up and back twice and had only dug 8 pennies and a few screw caps...this field was very clean and had been hunted dozens of times by other detectorists. I started getting some of those faint sweet sounding DEEP high tones on the CZ3D with targets coming up in the 8"+ depth on the meter...tried digging a few of them thinking there might be some silver down there that had eluded machines with less depth...unfortuneately, about 6" down there's a hard packed layer of course gravel that I was unable to penetrate with my digger. May have to go back very early one morning and see if a small shovel will do the trick. In any case, the sun was high in the sky and the temperature was climbing and I decided I had sweated enough and headed back to my car with my tail between my legs. Just before you leave the field there's a gate in the fence and just inside this gate there's a small grassy area about 12 x 16 and I half heartedly swung the coil and got a foil tone which jumped to square tab and back again repeatedly....strange...ah what the heck...why not add another pull tab to my growing collection I thought. Well...3" down and I saw it...the unmistakeable glint of gold. Scored a 14Kt Tri-tone 4 band puzzle ring!! My very first gold ring! I was a very happy camper to say the least. No mark on the ring(s) but jewler at the mall where my wife was did a test and said it was 14kt and that is was common for rings made overseas not to have any marks. These rings are sometimes referred to as Celtic knot rings or Turkish wedding rings.

Here she is:

I attribute my success to Tom's mention of most gold reading as foil. Before I had seen Tom's video and read some of his posts I probably would have passed on this target...never again. Thanks Tom!!
Re: CZ-3D scores my first GOLD ring!
August 03, 2010 02:40PM
Beautiful! Congratulations!
I have been digging alot of foil signals too lately with my 3D, being that Tom said that. Still yet to find my 1st gold ring with the 3D though.
Aaron
August 03, 2010 06:18PM
Nice score, seems like finding gold rings in the turf always happens when you least expect it smiling smiley

I found a men's gold signet ring using my CZ-70, IIRC it bounced between foil and nickel.

HH,
Brian
August 03, 2010 07:52PM
Awesome!!! WTG!!!! Scored my first with the F75 two weekends ago. Came up as foil then nickel. As I was having a lousy day...I did the same thing you did..."what the heck might as well dig it"....10K men's class ring.