Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

experience with Garrett Infinium, anyone?

Posted by ncwayne 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
experience with Garrett Infinium, anyone?
June 18, 2015 02:55AM
Funny, Garrett's web site still talks about the Infinium as being advanced PI technology. I believe it was introduced in 2003!
Anybody here used the Infinium for relics in bad ground or in the water or wet sand at the beach?
Please share your opinions, good and bad.
Thanks.

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2015 12:04PM by ncwayne.
Re: experience with Garrett Infinium, anyone?
June 18, 2015 03:52AM
I like the infinium...Poor coil's.. with no aftermarket options that are readily available...

really hot on low conductors like Buttons...that thing loves brass....the tone swap from high/low to low/high is set and zinc...so that's about where 3 ringers are at so they are weak on bullets...

the ATX is just a how should I say a Infinium in a moreheavy package but with more settings and with better coils and more sens and less EMI and hottter on small gold....But they both run alike in terms of low/high...high/low report....

I like a Infinium as a P.i. choice.. and for relics I enjoy it as well as the ATX.. now propectors would like the ATX more...but for relics its really hot on buttons..its a button magnet actually...it will surprise you on buttons...and its relatively lite..and hipmountable..or straight shaft moutnable...runs on AA's...

the weak spot is the coils. they are prone to failure...stay away from the DD's I like the 8 inch mono that coil will dig a 12 inch button in some nasty dirt...just leave that coil on all the time for deep brass digging or trash huntning.. great grab and go P.I...

That Mono 8 inch will purr right along in some severe mineral...its also waterproof to like 200 ft or so..

Yuo ought to see the buttons I pulled off a hill nect to the house here wiht the Infinium.. dug about 17 or so eagle I's with gold on them about 10 inches deep or so...hill was just a nightmare for a VLF... everything sounded like iron ..the infiinium.. DESTROYED THAT HILL>>>LOL..

Just my take..

KEith

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
June 18, 2015 04:31AM
Good info, Keith. As always, thanks for sharing your vast experience.

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

June 18, 2015 10:05AM
For salt water hunting most PIs dont have the options/adjustments of the Finny. They seem to be really hot on silver chains. Anytime you get a PI that you can change phones and coils on you have a one up. 10uS adjustable is a real plus for flexibility.
June 18, 2015 10:24AM
Hunting here on the NJ beaches and having used a lot of different PI's, my Infinium with the 10x14 mono coil is my number one choice. Reason being is it has found me by far the most gold, and the best find ever....so I kinda have a bias towards it. It's got a lot of nice features that some other PI's do not have. I tricked mine out a bit with a straight shaft and GG headphones since for me, the stock shaft and water proof head phones didn't cut it.

In any event, like Keith mentioned, the finny with the mono coils is a great unit...I didn't like the stock DD coil much either.
June 19, 2015 04:42AM
Hi ncwayne,

The links below provide information about the Infinium as it relates to prospecting naturally occurring silver nuggets and specimens here in northeastern Ontario. The primary focus is differentiating elongated / high conductive iron waste from silver, and some comparisons to the TDI Pro. To some extent, the information is applicable to other detecting pursuits.

The TDI Pro report has a specific section that addresses Infinium’s utility in mining country where iron debris is proliferate. I hope you’ll find these reports interesting and informative reading.

Jim.

[www.treasurenet.com]

[www.treasurenet.com]
June 19, 2015 12:01PM
Thank you, Jim, for the links to these reports. I had seen them before but not in the context of examining/considering the Infinium.
That does change the comprehension of the articles a bit <g>.
Again, Thanks.

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC

June 20, 2015 04:00PM
Hello Wayne, sent my thoughts on the Infinium via pm. If you decide to get one, and needing Infinium coils I have the larger DD and the super small DD.

Good luck,
Paul