Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

A couple hunts at two properties - using my G2 and new approach

Posted by Rod-PA 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
A couple hunts at two properties - using my G2 and new approach
June 25, 2015 03:07AM
I will admit to a bit of jealousy reading the many posts of all the newer models released or discussed over the past year. I have decided to go at least one more year with the ones I have. I have been frustrated by low counts of old coins, and I made it a point on each hunt at these sites over the past 3 weeks with my G2 to not only dig all obvious coins, but to also dig each signal that seemed to be multiple targets in the same spot that had any depth to them as long as some of the passes generated a number into the 60s, which is very low for most coins.

I picked one house built about 1910 which I have been to more than a dozen times and gotten many coins from including silver but hasnt produced much in the last few, and one new site to me built early to mid 1800s.

At the 1910 house, I got each of the jewelry items, the rosies and quarters, and the tokens and play money as well as the pistol. I am assuming it is a toy, although it is a heavy, solid gun. The jewelry items were all extremely bouncy. The first of the three sterling charms I got was the heart. Its id went all the way from low 40s to high 70s although the high numbers were sparce, and I would never have dug it if not trying to follow the new rule. Then I got another very bouncy signal a foot away, got the dancing lady, and the hunt was on. All the jewelry shown was in a 8 foot radius or so. There is so much can slaw in this yard, it makes hunting quite fatiguing. The cross looks like a black enamel, with the back covered in what looks like gold plate, as it is so shiny without any cleaning other than running water over it.

On to the older site. This one has a very fine red dirt, and just constant iron junk at all depths. The first time I used the 11" coil, but switched pretty quickly to the 5". Each of the Indian Head cents and Barber dimes came out of here. The front yard is small and directly underneath a boatload of phone, data and power lines. The first Barber I got with sensitivity at about 80, and it was nice and clear with an ID that made my call it a silver dime. I played with sensitivity a bit, and anything less than 70 with the 5" coil it lost it's nice stable ID. At higher than 80, the chatter was bad enough I wouldn't want to bother hunting the place. I dug the 1907, and it was right about 6 inches.
I left sensitivity at 80 for the rest of the hunts. The other Barber was a stable ID as well, although it was quite close to the brown nail pictured, and it was a one way signal only. The Indian heads came out of a little 4 foot square area, and none of them did I think was a coin before digging, because of the jumpiness of the signals. I included the wheats in the picture because they range from 1917 to 1956, with the newer ones in the bottom corner, and they are in worse shape than the older ones.

The eagle button was actually touching an aluminum 50 centimes coin from French Oceania, but the coin went to the property's owner' daughter, so no pic. Also something I wouldn't have dug in the past.

I did dig a lot of junk, not pictured. The junk that IS pictured all came out of the same hole as one of the coins or items shown, obviously causing the jumpy signals.

Tom D, I know you want us to always dig some questionable signals, but a lot of these were downright CRAPPY and it is at the moment a bit demoralizing to think of all the coins I want that I have passed up and walked over.

If anyone can read the name on the suspenders buckle I will give you a cookie. The patent on the back is 1871, I think.

I love this hobby, borderline obsession.

Thanks for reading through this whole long winded thing. Here's the pics.

Re: A couple hunts at two properties - using my G2 and new approach
June 25, 2015 03:10AM
What can one say??? Outstanding finds. Good write-up as well.
June 25, 2015 03:55AM
Fantastic post... Will read and study this some over the weekend.

For now - Nice going!!!
June 25, 2015 04:15AM
Fabulous finds!! And good info. Your doing great.
June 25, 2015 04:54AM
Rod,

There are multi-faceted rationale (tuition) behind digging crappy signals. Yes, the price (effort) can be steep at times! High-order Obsession ..... brings 'fullness' to the forefront........ relinquishing any perceived pain.
June 25, 2015 05:12AM
Great post, the gun sure looks real?
June 25, 2015 05:13AM
That looks to be a real gun.
June 25, 2015 06:10AM
Rod,
Very nicely done, sir!

That black powder Colt looks real to me, as well...specifically an 1851 navy with the barrel sawn short (from the original 7.5") and the loading lever removed.
(Which you have to do if you saw off the barrel, as the loading lever attaches to a latch located under the very front of the barrel.)

Made it more concealable, and would fit in a coat pocket that way.

smiling smiley
Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2015 06:23AM by Mike in CO.
June 25, 2015 07:10AM
Some of my best hunts have been digging those crappy signals....then again many crappy signals have been just that, just depends on the site, but it can be totally rewarding and you have some outstanding finds, the Navy Colt is an awesome find!!

I have my, I guess it would be third great grandfathers, revolver from the civil war, and it is an 1851 Navy Colt cap and ball pistol.

Great write up and you killed it digging those fringe iffy signals >grinning smiley<

HH,
Brian
June 25, 2015 11:06AM
Nice write up Rodman. Pics are great. Finds are awesome. The gun is as rare to find as a gold coin, love it.
June 25, 2015 11:22AM
Mike in CO Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Rod,
> Very nicely done, sir!
>
> That black powder Colt looks real to me, as
> well...specifically an 1851 navy with the barrel
> sawn short (from the original 7.5") and the
> loading lever removed.
> (Which you have to do if you saw off the barrel,
> as the loading lever attaches to a latch located
> under the very front of the barrel.)
>
> Made it more concealable, and would fit in a coat
> pocket that way.

Good grief Mike, it does certainly look like that colt and the colorings match the picture on wiki. Although on a different land parcel it is literally 100 yards away from where I found my boot pistol. Thanks a lot for the identification.
June 25, 2015 03:38PM
When a site starts to dry up I like to bring in another detector and dig all targets. With the deus because of 4 freq you can use that way of hunting and really make the site bare some more friut...But the racer is a lot like the G2 when I use 2 tones and better then the F19 since I have used the F19. Maybe get the racer with the 5x10 the G2 is going to change soon but I think the Racer is like a G2 and F19 all in one unit. It hunts in iron and bad ground and makes targets come alive..

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
June 25, 2015 06:14PM
Good money says the pistol is real.

Man you knocked it out of the park. Great hunt and finds.

Your new approach is something that would benefit us all to try. Well except those that have a Racer. New approach not needed right?

Sorry lowboy I just could not pass up another opportunity.

PacMan

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2015 06:19PM by Pac man.
June 25, 2015 11:40PM
Rod,
Have you considered taking your story and pistol find and other finds to the manufacturer of the G2. A treasure magazine might want and print as well. I think all detectors deserve the credit they deserve, and you too Rod.
I'm still very fascinated with all your finds.

This is really what detecting is all about----and it don't happen everyday either.
Again congrats.

I realize I have already posted, but IMO your story and finds deserves another!!!!!
June 26, 2015 04:08AM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Rod,
> Have you considered taking your story and pistol
> find and other finds to the manufacturer of the
> G2. A treasure magazine might want and print as
> well. I think all detectors deserve the credit
> they deserve, and you too Rod.
> I'm still very fascinated with all your finds.
>
> This is really what detecting is all about----and
> it don't happen everyday either.
> Again congrats.
>
> I realize I have already posted, but IMO your
> story and finds deserves another!!!!!

Thanks for the kind words, tnsharpshooter.
I might try submitting to Teknetics, but the more I look at the revolver and study Colt pictures, the less sure I am what it really is. The only type that describes it well is a model 1848 or 1849 Colt Wells Fargo or baby dragoon, because it is a 5 shot cylinder. the bugger of it is I cannot find any serial numbers on it. I called Colt today and asked the locations I should be able to see serial numbers, and I should be able to see at least 1 or 2 of them.
June 26, 2015 04:56AM
Lowboy gets paid commission by Nokta!LOL.

Hey Rod, keep us updated on the gun if you will. Very nice find.
June 26, 2015 05:35AM
Nice finds. Way to hold out on purchasing a new machine. The G2 is plenty capable of finding metal in the ground. The more I pound a site the more I give in to the trying out the less desirable hits, which is a great way to learn your machine. Thanks for sharing.
June 26, 2015 02:22PM
Congrats on the nice finds....as far as the pistol would take it to a gun dealer and imagine he can tell if its real...
June 27, 2015 02:39AM
WTG Rod, an outstanding description / explanation of your recent detecting approach / experience, and exceptional display of your recoveries. Just an excellent presentation, such a genuine pleasure to read... well done. Congratulations... all the very best moving forward. smiling smiley

Jim Hemmingway
Northeastern Ontario
June 27, 2015 03:25AM
Its looks like the Baby dragoon pistol..

EXCEPT the metal on yours seems to be FLAKEY...is it a pewter metal ..

that gun was/is heavily copied...

was it found in the country or in town...

heres a fake one

Heres a real one

Notice the fake repo is a white metal and the screws match your's..

the real ones has the screws different..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2015 01:37AM by Keith Southern.
June 27, 2015 09:01AM
In town. I still can't find serial numbers so I am thinking it is a toy or fake. I wouldn't think a toy would go so far as having the nipples in the cylinder and such though. I will take it to a local gunsmith sometime
June 28, 2015 01:57AM
The thing that really makes me think its toy/fake/Prop

Is see where your trigger guard attaches to the frame at both endpoints...see that little circle.. that's a mold casting...

a real Colt would not have such flaws...

notice this ebay one it has the casting sprue's and screws in wrong spot and wrong side even..

I hope its a real one!! but feel its a prop...the metal is not right..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
June 28, 2015 02:22AM
i think you are right. gonna chuck it in the junk bin. toy gun # 4 out of that yard.
June 28, 2015 04:58AM
Awesome digs! I am a new user of the G2+ but am just amazed at its ability to pick targets out of iron, one of my first hunts I dug a small brass watchface at 9" deep and at six inches directly above it was a nice sized full square nail as well as on the hole and plug square nail bits and pieces all around it at different depths. As far as a newer model compared to your original G2 .....Sekypaleo is an absolute diehard G2 fanatic and does own the G2+ now as well....he likes the tones better on the original....I am hoping he will chime in on this thread....him as well as many others swear to it and have told me the Ultimate Coil is a complete gamechanger on the G2 ...you get an inch or so more depth and its light and very stable......also for being the size it is the seperation is still very good. If you have not tried the Ultimate, I would suggest trying one...I am currently looking for a used one myself for my G2+ .....had one on my E-trac and it never came off once it went on. Good luck, shoot Seky a PM if he does not comment here... My main site is so filled with iron and trash big and small, I only have the stock 11" coil right now but am just dumbfounded on how it outperforms seperating compared to all the others I have owned.....it will take me some time to learn the machine and its tones but I am already finding good targets with the G2+ That I missed with my AT Pros, AT Golds, 705, E-trac, and Deus......I do have the Fors CoRe and Racer which are super at my iron riddled site and hope to take one of them out with my G2+ next time and really spend the time to compare signals and see how they fare against eachother at seperation for myself....I really do enjoy the Racer and actually my Deus sat once I started using the Racer...my latest is the G2+ and I am so in love with it ...keep us posted and HH
June 28, 2015 08:19AM
Whether the colt is real or not Rod - that's STILL an outstanding couple days worth of diggin = I'd be happy as a Lark with all that stuff grinning smiley

Congrats!
June 28, 2015 11:21AM
I held the gun yesterday, it has the weight and the handle is wood. What's weird about it is ...it seems like it has a cladding of copper with white metal or pewter as the core. Looking at Rod's picture you can see areas where the core material is exposed especially the trigger guard. Did they make kids guns that heavy and real looking? Or, is it a stage gun?
Rod, I don't think you should chuck it into the junk bin....still rather neat to look at and talk about.