Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Tiger shark info

Posted by TNdirtdigger 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Tiger shark info
August 10, 2010 08:00PM
Well before coming over to this forum, I purchased a Tiger Shark because I heard how good they were in fresh water. But from what I can tell from recent threads (and the fact that nobody here has mentioned them), I'm starting to re-think my purchase why didn't I go for the CZ!??!!??!). Not that I do a lot of fresh water hunting but I wanted something that was versatile for both the beach (which I go to 2 or 3 times a year) and for the fresh water here in TN. But to be honest I'm not sure if I've got the thing set up right for either one. Anybody have any info on the correct set up for fresh and wet beaches with a Tiger Shark? Thanks I appreciate the help!
Re: Tiger shark info
August 10, 2010 08:57PM
TN,

I never used the Tiger, but from what I have read posted and talked with others, it's one of the best fresh water machines to get small gold jewelry. I also hear it does ok on some salt water beaches, but the CZ will perform much better on the wet, salt sand.

The thing with the CZ20 and CZ21 is that they are locked in salt mode, which decreases their ability to find smaller gold due to the salt conductivity balanced/discriminated out. Since a lot of small gold items are in the same conductive zone as salt water, they get lost in the mix.

Check out the Salt 101 thread...loads of info on this subject.

If you want to hunt fresh water with a CZ and don't go past waist deep water, I suggest getting a used CZ6a ( if you can find one) and use it in normal mode. Put it in a water proof bag or mount it across your shoulder and just make sure the connection to the box doesn't get wet.

I use my CZ6a almost exclusively on the NJ beaches where I hunt about 85% of the time, and when I can ground balance in normal mode, I do. Lots if not most times I have to switch to salt mode, but all CZ's run very smooth in the wet, salt, sand once set up right.

One thing I think about the Tiger is that the sensitivity control is internal. Maybe yours isn't turned up enough ? I think it's a pretty easy unit to use, but you may want to read up on how to possibly increase the sensitivity setting. I think for the most part, the factory setting is pretty much optimal, but if you have a used unit, maybe somebody messed with the setting ? Also, if it is a used unit, maybe you need to send it in to Tesoro for a check up.
August 11, 2010 11:43PM
I'm not affluent enough w/Tiger Shark to intelligently comment on performance/set-up.......HOWEVER, acquire a 10Kt or 14Kt gold crucifix/cross.......and use this for all of your testing. Do not use a coin. You are not hunting for clad coinage. ....Try different settings on the bench with this cross. Yes, this is an air-test........but should give you a very good resultant/direction for real-world set-up config. WRITE IT DOWN......FOR YOUR OWN MEMORY!
August 12, 2010 06:45PM
Thanks Rover and Tom for your suggestions. I'll let you know how everything comes out.
August 17, 2010 12:06PM
TNdirtdigger ,

I have a lot of experience with the TS in fresh water. I would be happy to try and help you with yours. In your post you conveyed the thought that you are somewhat unhappy with the TS and doubt it's abilities , but you were not at all specific. Pls. give specific problems you are having and I will try to help. Joe (Snow's Metal Detectors, Tesoro Dealer)