Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

no pressure

Posted by Rod-PA 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
no pressure
July 02, 2015 07:36PM
been driving past a mid 1700s property for 12 years that has been empty that whole period of time. Finally researched land records, found the owner and gave him a call. he says he gets a phone call or guys stop by while he is cutting grass and ask to detect all the time. Always says no. I told him I like the challenge, pretty sure I shall never get rich from it, never know what crazy relics show up. He is meeting me tonight so he can watch me and decide if I am allowed to come back....trying to get unfettered access for me an Ozzie, so wish me luck.

as an aside, one of the guys he said no to...he told me he kept his business card, titled "we can all get rich"
Re: no pressure
July 02, 2015 07:44PM
Take a smooth cutting shovel, nothing serrated. Rod if he says it's ok, might be best not to push your luck by asking if you could bring a bud. Thanks though. Good Luck!!

Odd saying on the business card.......some real winners around here.
July 02, 2015 07:59PM
That will be the time you find a gold coin...when he's over your shoulder....know any slight-of-hand tricks?
July 02, 2015 08:00PM
Offer to give back all finds, even if a gold coin surfaces including future finds.

Be sincere, good luck.
Paul
July 02, 2015 09:08PM
Rod keep your eye out for places other hunters have dug. I got permission once to a site that no one else had permission to go to and that place had been hammered by night hunters I'm guessing. I found one Indian head penny 1907 date. I hate butt holes that go sneaking in to places without permission. I spent most of the day filling in their holes.
July 02, 2015 09:19PM
Drop cloth and small digger if possible. Only dig the shallow easy targets until he gets bored of watching you dig junk LOL.

Bey
July 02, 2015 09:43PM
I always have an extra detector and ask if they want to try their hand at it. 99% of the time they say no but it seems like they appreaciate the offer and soften up a bit.
whoa, friend! <g>
July 02, 2015 09:49PM
Hey Paul. I can take somebody bad mouthing the confederate flag. Or even the detectors I choose to use. Doesn't bother me one bit. Doesn't affect my convictions about the flag or my enjoyment of the detectors I use.
And if you are perfectly at peace with offering to return any and all finds to the property owner, well, that doesn't bother me any, either. But to recommend to another digger to do the same...and be sincere about it...well, excuse me while I run to the bathroom before I throw up. Not really, but you get the point, hopefully, as to how extreme I view your suggestion.

My finds are...well, MY finds! I do not sell them. I do not give them away. Sure, they may go out with the trash when I do <g>, but up til then, they mean a great deal to me. A lot of expense and time and effort went into buying the equipment, finding the property, contacting the owner (or caretaker), and obtaining their permission to detect AND keep what I find. Some don't really care one way or the other. Some want to "just see" what I find. I have one property where I offered to give back what I find. That was a year ago and I have not detected it, yet. Why should I when I have other properties to detect where I can keep what I find?
Don't get me wrong. (And I think we have established a mutual respect that we both trust enough not to be misunderstood.) I laud you for being so magnanimous as to offer your finds to the property owner. I'm just saying "that size" does not fit all. Personally, I would not offer that except as a very last resort. And before that, I'd suggest splitting the finds, one for one, with the land owner getting first choice.
I think there are other ways to repay the land owner for their kindness in granting permission to detect. Gift cards for nice meals with the wife are generally well received. Stopping by to say hello and always giving thanks anytime you see or speak with the landowner goes a long way. Letting them know that somebody else is detecting the property and not filling their holes (which you did when you found them) is always appreciated. Complementing the property (and thus, the owner) and asking questions about its history shows that your interest goes farther than just digging holes. And if you complement the beauty/attractiveness of the property, it's highly unlikely you are going to deface it.

All this, just to say, hey, wait a minute. Not everybody can bring themselves to sincerely offer to return any and all finds to the landowner. And most of the time, it is not necessary.

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
July 02, 2015 09:56PM
Leave the shovel at home! I would never even pull out a shovel doing a homeowners yard. I don't even use them in the wood's anymore as they have caused a lot of closings where I live.
July 03, 2015 12:59AM
Good luck Rod, and if the meeting is a success, Ozzie as well.
July 03, 2015 01:05AM
Offer to let the owner's grandchild dig the treasure.
July 03, 2015 01:15AM
Good luck man. Yeah, definitely use the drop cloth. Ive given fonds, even made up rikers cases with them, seateds and such...but wouldnt offer itall. Have said if I find something worth over $1k, will auction and split 50/50. Also have brought bottle of wine as thank you. Guess we should always show some kind of apreciation....after all, what is in it for the homeowner, besides potential lawsuit (im in Kalifornia) or dead grass patches? Or at least some wierdo who has a frying pan attached to a pool stick, swinging around their yard, diggin joles and talking to themselves,lol.
July 03, 2015 10:44AM
Thanks for the luck thrown Tns............... I do hope he eases the guys apprehension.
Yea, Rodman could be a good salesman and without being derogatory, a good politician.
July 03, 2015 01:11PM
You're welcome Ozzie.
I've seen landowners act many different ways.
Seen some who used a detectorist and their detectors, to find out if anything worthy was there, then ran them off.

I've seen landowners be pesky after giving permission, and watch the detecting process and expect the good stuff to be given to them.

I've seen some who give permission and really never do any followup, with no on site involvement.

Here's what I've done in the past and it worked quite a few times.
When I asked, I also encourage them to come and watch. I make a deal with them. I keep all jewelry/relics, they decide before I start if they want the odd or even year dated coins.
I feel that's fair, and adds a little spice to things.

A lot of these folks, unfortunately don't realize the (high) cost of detecting equipment.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2015 01:37PM by tnsharpshooter.
July 03, 2015 01:35PM
Wayne,

In this particular case, Rod does mention the land owner has always said no to others asking for permission. And the owner will decide if Rod can come back, what better way to gain the owners trust especially this owner who has always said no in the past

Sorry my post made you want to run to the bathroom and throw up, was only trying to help Rod and wish him luck as he was asking.

Sure, I know there are other ways of getting permission but in this case the owner has stated he's always said no to others. Offering to give back the finds opens doors, I'll have sites open to me for a lifetime using this approach and these are historical sites. Eventually, Owners realize how sincere I am and allow me and my friends to keep our finds. Unless its a gold coin, that always goes to the owner.

All the best,
Paul
July 03, 2015 02:42PM
I recently leased detecting rights to a great CW era town site from land owner. May never find enough to pay the lease cost but will have a ball trying and it is only 10 miles from home so will come out ahead with gas money saved. More about the thrill of the hunt than the value of the finds for me. Making a display of some of the finds and giving to owner will go farther than about anything to keep your permissions. If you are truly grateful for permission at a good site why not show your gratitude in a nice manner .
July 03, 2015 03:06PM
Well said Ray, exactly my feelings on the subject.

Good luck with the civil war era town, like you said you'll have a ball especially being 10 miles from your home.

All the best,
Paul
July 03, 2015 03:23PM
Bring him a six back of ale and use a small digging tool

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
July 03, 2015 05:03PM
When I do try and hunt a yard or property that is adjacent to a house I take a gift to the owner when I ask them to hunt...

I buy the Riker display cases in bulk... the 4x3 size...with glass face...buy in bulk and you can get the for a couple bucks a piece if you shop around...

Then take some dug items that you may be looking for on that property...and put them in the case..I keep some with coins and relics and others with just coins and other with just relics...

Knock on the door tell them what you want to do and also who else has let you do it in the area show them what your looking for and tell them they can have those items even if you dont find anything...

Most of the time 80% I would say wil let you hunt and also are happy to get the for sure items instead fo the maybe items...

Ive noticed a trend over the years. A few dirty wheat pennys will get you permission faster than a silver dime...people think the silver is just modern clad and they see the dirty wheat cents and Know their old, put some face up others face down when they see the wreath on them mixed with some old dates they like it . add a buffalo too the old dirty money seems to do better than even relics on in town yards with younger owners...

Older people seem to like the mix of coins and relics especially the rural farmer..

Im not much for hunting in modern sites unless its construction going on but I used to hunt yards alot in the towns around here even in Atlanta and displays as gifts usually work the best for getting a Yes...

And its a way fo giving back the stuff you dont want ...instead of it lying in a box in the basement I can take old wheats and toe taps and suspender clips and packstuds fired 3 ringers flat buttons etc and put them in a case and label them with a label maker and someone can enjoy them and you get to enjoy hunting a new spot..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2015 05:51PM by Keith Southern.
July 03, 2015 05:39PM
Thanks all,
I appreciate the input. I will use some of the ideas for sure.

As for last night, it went pretty well. That gent does like to talk about history. I was there for 1.5 hours, and got to hunt about 40 mins. By accident I had the revolver(fake) from the other week in the truck, and he went and got his son to come look at it, too. I did get a lot more information about the property from him. He told me the last owner didnt believe in banks, and stored his cash....after he left, the first really strong tone behind the big tree behind his house........I dug an old mason jar lid with the white liner...nothing under it though. Some nice adreneline, though smiling smiley.

Only drawback to this property is it is right next to a rendering plant....the smell of the trucks going past...is enough to make your nosehairs die and fall out.
July 03, 2015 06:50PM
Paul,

Just a difference of opinion, that's all.
We certainly have to be comfortable with what we offer in exchange for permission.

Best regards,

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
July 04, 2015 05:17AM
Wayne,

You bet, not all situations are alike. And not all detectorist are alike. What ever makes one comfortable and both parties are satisfied with the agreement.

You take care, good luck with your Pi adventure.

Paul

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2015 05:18AM by Old California.
July 04, 2015 10:41AM
Yup if it such a coveted place, why not offer all finds up? He's probably going to overwhelmed with a lot of trash. Find 2 largies I'm sure you could get one of them. And as some have said bring a case of beer or some good wine. But honestly I haven't searched private property, although I do have permission for an old 1850s site. I think I'll bring multiple detectors and let the home owner hunt with me.