Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

103 here today....

Posted by Jack Flynn 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
103 here today....
July 21, 2015 08:29PM
Can't do anything but stay in the AC. Even the lake where I water hunt the water you wade in is 90 degrees. No relief in sight looks like. Killing me!
Re: 103 here today....
July 21, 2015 08:41PM
Same here in S. Georgia! Sure seems hotter than it was 30 years ago despite what everyone seems to think about global warming.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2015 10:13PM by Fletch88.
July 21, 2015 08:41PM
Where is that at?
July 21, 2015 08:49PM
Jack Flynn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Can't do anything but stay in the AC. Even the
> lake where I water hunt the water you wade in is
> 90 degrees. No relief in sight looks like. Killing
> me!

You wuss you!!!

Seriously Jack, I know it's tough and unbearable. Person can get hurt/killed in temps like that, no doubt. All we can do is be patient and post on metal detecting forums.
July 21, 2015 08:49PM
Middle to lower Georgia, dang hot............
July 21, 2015 09:56PM
I remember breakin down in Valdosta...mid summer, hot as hell, stole a watermelon out of a field to survive, lol.
July 22, 2015 12:02AM
Hunted many a time in 100F +++ temps in California and the Nevada desert, it's dry heat, but I don't like it. I have no idea how you guys in the south tolerate it with the high humidity thrown in too...
It's going to be in the 60's for the high this weekend in Maine
July 22, 2015 01:56AM
but you guys didn't get over 15 feet of snow this winter :
July 22, 2015 02:26AM
Only 106 here today. Same tomorrow but I'll be hitting the site about 6:00 AM. We usually manage to hunt until about 10:00 or so and then it's pool time.
Mesa, AZ
July 22, 2015 02:40AM
"103 here today...."

Well h3ll Jack, you had me going there - I almost sent you 103 candles for your cake lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2015 03:29AM by rustic charm.
July 22, 2015 09:58AM
Cal_cobra Wrote:
> Hunted many a time in 100F +++ temps in California
> and the Nevada desert, it's dry heat, but I don't
> like it. I have no idea how you guys in the south
> tolerate it with the high humidity thrown in
> too...

I work in it all day and it sucks to put it lightly! I visited Arizona in July years ago and went jogging when it was 100 degrees. It felt like 80 degrees does here!
July 22, 2015 12:33PM
Hell, I roof in it all day. You get used to heat......humidity sucks though, lol.
July 22, 2015 01:42PM
Only time bearable here on the nc coast is early morning unless you are water hunting.
July 22, 2015 02:11PM
Early morning or late evening perhaps..other than that be careful as heat can cause lots of problems on the body....Aklways remember 115 at mail call in Texas in military..
Ate salt tablets and drank to keep hydrated and yes over 50 years ago and no A/C...
July 22, 2015 02:23PM
I was wondering who got my watermelon!

deathray Wrote:
> I remember breakin down in Valdosta...mid summer,
> hot as hell, stole a watermelon out of a field to
> survive, lol.
July 22, 2015 08:14PM
It's going to be another hot one here today.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2015 08:20PM by Jeff (or).
July 22, 2015 11:09PM
Yeah the humidity is the killer here...

60 to 70% humidity down here in GA with temp around 100 and a heat index of 112 and you can hardly breathe...

Everday I have alerts on my phone about air quality in my area ..

But this is the best time of the year to hunt for me...no deer hunters and turkey hunters...free roam right now...just take alot of water with ya...and stay out of the open areas during the noon till 5 p.m. times...find some shady sites to hunt then..

I hunt at night in the summer a good bit also... if its a open site or graded spot..

but yeah you get used to heat after awhile.. its the humidity that ZAPS your endurance..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
July 23, 2015 02:03AM
Believe it or not, its been pretty dam humid here in Nocal this year. Here we are in a "historic" drought, and we have had monsoonal activity in the mountains every day since May...and many times its filtered down the foothills where I live. I was sweatin my nuts off yesterday, 100 degrees and like 60%humidity.
July 23, 2015 05:34PM
had to leave the beach today (topsail nc) at 8am. couldnt take the heat and humidity and I live here and am used to it. then again when it gets cold the fresh drops stopsmiling smiley
last 2 days in the 60's here
July 26, 2015 10:06PM
send some heat, went to the beach at 1200 noon at low tide and no one was there, hit the wet and dry sand, that's the first time I got to do that in 15 years hunting the beach, they frown apon hunting in the crowed, and I wait til the park closes and they are good with that, send some heat north so they go to the beach and loose stuff winking smiley
July 27, 2015 03:17PM
I hate summer. No escape of the heat during the day and its so humid at night when the dew falls, it is like it has rained. If you hunt at night here, you need snake and waterproof boots or your feet will be soaked after walking just a few feet. This has also been the worse yr for snakes that I can recall in several yrs. I have killed 7 copperheads so far just around my house and let another one get by me when I went to give my goats some treats; I normally have my pistol on me but left it in the house or it would have been 8. They are hanging in the shady areas in the heat of the day and crawling to warm surfaces during the night.

In TN we have a few prime months we can relic hunt when its not deer or turkey season and the woods arent over grown yet. Dec-March is my prime time. Our deer season opens in Sept and by the time December rolls around, the rut is over, and most are burned out on deer hunting and stay in to watch football. And even in the fall itself, most places are still relic huntable. Just have to ask the landowner if anybody is deer hunting and if not, have at it.
July 27, 2015 10:05PM
Daniel, any of your goats ever get snake bit? If so what's the outcome?........ just curious.
July 29, 2015 12:37AM
it was hot and muggy today, about 90 out, and I had to do roof work, Murphy's law, but I lost so weight, or I will when I get rid of all this retaining water
July 29, 2015 02:16AM
Ozzie -- I haven't been into the goat thing long. Not had one bitten yet but one of the copperheads was coiled up under their feed trough. My wife was feeding and couldn't get the goats to come to the trough. They would just stand back from it. Then she saw it laying there and hollered at me. Have had a couple dogs get bit though. They usually swell up in the area they are bit and are sick/sluggish for a few days but never had one die from being bit.

My papaw lost part of his finger after being bit by a copperhead on the hand. And 2 people I work with got bit a couple yrs ago. One was picking up sticks to burn while camping and got it on the hand. The other was bit on the foot while walking in their yard.
July 29, 2015 04:52AM
Supposed to hit 110 tomorrow...equal about 140 on the roof...yall have fun!lol
July 29, 2015 11:36AM
Supposed to hit 110 tomorrow...equal about 140 on the roof...yall have fun!lol
July 29, 2015 12:23PM
There was a person here in PA that died from a timber rattler bite just recently. He was gathering sticks for a campfire, 39 years old. Hasn't happen in PA in 25 years.

Different story.....The temp was in the 90's here and I was working yesterday on a persons foundation problem. Had to make a ramp for the excavator to track up a small one foot high stone wall. Happened to notice a yellow jackets nest inside the wall behind the ramp I just stacked up. No big deal, we've dealt with these guys many times before. Well they couldn't get in or out very well so I used a 4x4x8 to move the ramp away from their opening...my first mistake.

They came out of that nest in a straight line, on a mission like jets simultaneously off a carrier. I was already at least 15 feet away from them. I turned and ran down the driveway (and I don't run) BAHM! one hits me on the cheekbone BAHM! the next one stings me on the side as I'm swatting and jumping around.

I have been stung many times in my life but these stings felt a bit more potent. Now we can't go near the area to work so the homeowner calls a exterminator. He comes out and puts a chemical can on a long pole and empties it into the hole while killing the stragglers with a different spray. After he gets finished all is well and we go back to work. He said there will be bees coming back looking for the nest in a state of confusion but you should be ok.....no guarantees.

I'm up measuring for a hole layout and BAHM! again, I get stung on the tender skin of my elbow, son of a gun! this is getting old. I run back down the hill jumping and cussing again. Come to see there is another nest 6 feet away from the first. Like I said before these stings are different from any others I've had.

As I'm typing this the next day, the sting spots are sore and a little swollen. My body feels like I was in a fist fight. Am I just getting old or is the venom in these bees stronger than usual.....I don't know. This nest also seemed more aggressive than any others I've dealt with.
My working bud didn't get stung once, what's up with that?