Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Shaft ? Help

Posted by Bflo 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Shaft ? Help
July 27, 2015 11:00PM
Can anyone tell me if I can put the Troy x5 on a straight shaft with a hand grip like the tdi pro. The s rod just doesn't fit me and bothers my wrist after swinging a while. I called a detector dealer and he didn't know, First Texas didn't know and suggest I call Troy. If no body here can answer I'll try to call him. It looks like it is held in place by just one screw and I don't think it's like the f75 with a wire running from the box to the battery. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Re: Shaft ? Help
July 28, 2015 01:25AM
Bflo,

You're correct in that it's just one screw...and no, there are no wires. The control head just comes right off.
Technically, I see no reason it wouldn't be simple/trivial to do.

Practically, I see no way it would ever be convenient to actually use. The pinpoint button and the mode and disc toggles (normally) fall easily under the thumb to make it convenient to operate.
That would all be gone.
I guess you'd have to use one hand to swing, and the other hand to operate the controls while checking targets and pinpointing.

Unless you could come up with a scheme to mount it atop a shortened TDI style handle?
Or better yet, try some other S-shafts to see if one fits your wrist better.

Good luck,
mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2015 01:27AM by Mike in CO.
July 28, 2015 04:52AM
If I remember right, once you remove the screw, you'll have the nut bouncing around in the control box so you would also need to open the box to remedy the situation.

Or.......sell it. Lots of demand for it, even after all these years.
July 28, 2015 02:53PM
Troy has been available by phone and if he still is nothing like getting it from the horses mouth..Quite a nice gentleman and eager to help if he can...
July 28, 2015 03:12PM
Can someone post his number or PM it to me. I searched and did not find number. Thanks
July 28, 2015 06:52PM
Detectorist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If I remember right, once you remove the screw,
> you'll have the nut bouncing around in the control
> box so you would also need to open the box to
> remedy the situation.

No, the nut is captive. I've taken the control box off both of mine off to send back to Troy for calibration/updates and it's a trivial matter to re-attach to the shaft.
smiling smiley

And just to re-itterate a point I've tried to make before...the control box of the Troy is sealed with weatherproofing gasket and RTV sealant.
You never want to open an X5 control box, unless you're willing to sacrifice that weatherproofing seal.

And Dan-Pa is right...Troy has always been a nice guy, and a gentleman to speak with.

hh,
mike
July 29, 2015 12:53AM
Here's a resource for newer Troy owners that some may find useful;

Troy used to have a website, but it was taken down fairly recently.

For those who aren't familiar with the resource, the site 'archive.org' AKA Internet Archive 'Wayback Machine' periodically takes a snapshop of almost all of the websites on the internet and archives them.
They've been doing this since 1996, and claimed to have archived over 427 billion web pages.

A full archive of the July 2013 Troycustomdetectors.com website is viewable here:

[web.archive.org]

It contains lots of useful info about the Shadows, including operating tips and manuals.

mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2015 12:54AM by Mike in CO.
July 29, 2015 01:52AM
Mike
Thanks for the link. Definitely some good reads. Always fun when I get a new toy to read as much as I can find. I forgot about his old site and that way back tool. My wife has used it to find several things.