Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

NEL Coils for Tesoro

Posted by Daniel Tn 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
NEL Coils for Tesoro
August 14, 2015 04:12PM
I don't guess many people use Tesoro machines anymore but I know a few here still do. I picked up a Tejon a couple weeks ago and wanted to try some of the newer coils for it to see if it helped the machine gain an edge. In my soil, the stock 9x8 concentric coil loses a lot of punch. I wanted to get an NEL Snake coil for trashy sites but they are backordered for at least a month for the Tesoro units. So I swapped my order and got a NEL Sharpshooter...the 9.5x5.5 coil. So far, this has quickly became my favorite coil to have ran on a Tejon. In my soil, it is deeper than the stock 9x8 coil and I have been making some keeper finds with it around and about. It is one of those coils that likes to find tiny things at some decent depths...which I am referring to .22 bullets and shell casings at approx 5-6 inches that give good repeatable signals. It is unusual for a VLF in discriminate mode to be able to do that here. I dug a j hook (civil war) that was a very nice signal that was around 8-9 inches...once again...most of the time that would have only been obtainable in all metal mode and or with a pulse machine. It is a keeper combo for sure.

I am wanting a little bigger coil for it now. I am leaning heavy on the Hunter coil which is their 12.5x8.5 size coil. I think it would be the better fit for a primary replacement coil. But I would like to hear some feedback from anybody that has tried one on the Tesoro machines...particularly the Tejon or Vaquero. Their more popular coil is the large Tornado...12x13 size. That would probably be the best bet for overall depth but I'm kind of wanting to stick with a smaller one for now. Thus the lean towards the Hunter. Anybody out there tried one or both on a Tesoro. I have used them on the Fisher machines but not Tesoro.
Re: NEL Coils for Tesoro
August 14, 2015 06:46PM
I own and use all 6 of my tesoros. The Vaquero with the new 8.5 X 11 is one of the deepest machines I have. I dug a nickel at 11 or so inches with it at the park shortly after I got it. I only dug it cause it was really early in the morn and I could use my lesche shovel. Imo the tesoro coils are the best for the tesoros. I have the nel tornado coil for my at pro and never use it cause it was heavy, hard to pinpoint and didn't seem to give much depth over the stock coil. You want a deep coil for your tejon get the new tesoro one. Not as good as my vaquero in my soil bit as deep as the stock kn high conductors and deeper on low conductors.
Tesoro Tejon...what up wid dat chit homey?
August 14, 2015 08:47PM
Daniel,

I thought you proved the Tejon was crap against your F75 in your video several years back......lol
August 14, 2015 09:53PM
Hi D,
Yeah, I am trying to get a snake for my Tejon too. My son got one for the ATPro, and dug a ton of targets last time out. I just got a 5.75 from Keith, but havent had the time to use it. Sorry cant help . Let us know what you find out.later,Ray
August 14, 2015 10:13PM
Hombre,

That would be correct with the stock coils attached in my soil. And there was not much of an improvement with the widescan coils Tesoro offered at the time. I haven't tried the newest coil from Tesoro. For overall depth against one another, the F75 would always surpass the Tejon with factory coils. At one point I also had the 10X12 SEF coil for a Tejon and didn't see any improvement over the Tesoro 10x12. The only coils by DeTech I have liked are the Ultimate 13 coils.

So the question I think you're really getting at is...why go back to a Tejon at all? The answer to that is twofold.

1. Just got our property cleared for a new house and all my time and extra money is tied up in permits, etc for the house. They no longer nickle and dime you to death for permits....now days everything is $1,000 here and $500 there. I've paid over $2,000 in just permits for a septic system this month!! So spending money is tight. I was watching the forums for the best machine I could find in the $300 range and happened across the Tejon. I certainly don't believe it is the best out there but what else am I going to find in my price range? I had sold all my other machines for the summer lull but wanted something to hunt with on my property where they have been clearing trees and underbrush.

2. The newer DD coils do tend to help a machine in bad soil better than their older counterparts. They are just built better and to tighter specs. The benefits can be big ESPECIALLY in soil like mine. There's a reason why most every new machine on the market will come standard with a DD coil on them and why they are popular. Adding newer DD coil technology can certainly breathe new life into a detector. The Tejon appears to be one of those.
August 14, 2015 11:58PM
If my soil was as bad as you say yours is, I would either move or find another hobby.....my soil is sweet and a Compadre gets great depth here in Kansas.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2015 12:14AM by Hombre.
August 15, 2015 12:49AM
Hombre Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If my soil was as bad as you say yours is, I would
> either move or find another hobby.....my soil is
> sweet and a Compadre gets great depth here in
> Kansas.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
August 15, 2015 01:08AM
Haha that's why my number 1 hobby is fishing, followed closely by archery. Digging stuff has never been a primary hobby but I do take spells where I get into it heavier than some of my other stuff I do. The flame has kind of gone out over the years though.
August 15, 2015 02:02AM
About fishing,

...I took my 14 year old grandson fishing down on the river yesterday, he caught a 12 pound flathead and old gramps lost one that was a little bigger, so yes fishing is right in there for us too! I was doing great until I got finned in the thumb by a small catfish we were using for bait, by accident I run his gill fin a ½" into the fleshy part, OUCH!

...On the Tejon, are you power balancing it? I hunted one time in very mineralized and salty ocean sand in Oregon and a negative ground balance off set helped in the Disc. mode on my old Pantera, had to up the disc. some too. You hear of the the old Tesoros not having great depth but I was getting 8" coins at SeaSide beach.
August 15, 2015 01:25PM
I went ahead and ordered the new 8x11 DD coil by Tesoro. It and the NEL Hunter coil were about the same price but something in me just thought the Tesoro coil might do better since it is exclusively for Tesoro machines. It will be interesting to compare it to the F75 data that I have with the same size coil. I no longer have an F75 but do have great notes on air test data and such. One thing I am enjoying about the Tejon...I like NOT having a meter. I think that's why I also like the GPX platform so much...just beep/dig.
August 15, 2015 01:59PM
Let us know how that coil works Daniel (especially in your dirt).

I've heard good things about it from some who've used it.

If it's really good I may just have to get one for my Vaquero.
November 19, 2015 03:53AM
It's been about 3 months and I am waiting for a report Daniel... What were your fndings?
I am in the mood to buy myself a gift.. but not rushing, just waiting to hear from you fellows with more info.
Great gab going on here!

Leaning towards the new Tesoro coil first... I think Daniel has the right idea...Tesoro coils machines!... for Tesoro.
Let us know if you will... Thanks...best...Rich
November 19, 2015 03:59AM
Im not a happy camper with NEL coil experience!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
November 19, 2015 04:10AM
The Tesoro 8" concentric is the best all around coil they make and for dense iron trash....... their 5.75 concentric is great!
November 19, 2015 07:03AM
I no longer have the Tesoro and have no desire to own another of their current offerings. Then again I don't have time to use anything anymore. Tonight is #30 straight work days for me...the majority of which have been 12 hr shifts.

I did not like the new DD coil on the Tesoro but the NEL Sharpshooter was actually a nice fit for it.
November 19, 2015 10:50AM
I hate to say it but I just bought a CORS Point for the T2 and I must say the quality and performance is superb. The look, fit, feel, even down to the washers supplied with it. FYI Nel and CORS must be one and the same because the washers have NEL logo on them.
I hate to say but every coil I have ever tried from Tesoro do not have that quality "feel" or fit....at all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2015 10:52AM by Fletch88.
November 19, 2015 12:52PM
I have a NEL SHARPSHOOTER on my AT-PRO and I love it! I like it better than the Garrett 5x8" coil it seems to have the same separation as the Garrett but a little bit more depth. I also ordered a Tornado coil for my F19 I am going to try it out this weekend. I was going to get an Ultimate but had read that some users had them fail when dipped in water and that the coil wire on them was less insulated than the Tornado coil.
November 19, 2015 06:14PM
i would like to try a detech 10x5 on my vaquero..since stock coil have hard time in ancient sites sad smiley
[www.kellycodetectors.com]
November 24, 2015 01:02AM
All knowing all seeing bow to him.