Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

how and where to buy coins (not high dollar)?

Posted by ncwayne 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
how and where to buy coins (not high dollar)?
August 25, 2015 08:40PM
I've purchased relatively few coins. None that were more than a few dollars, and this was back in the 60s and 70s.
Does anybody here on the forum buy any coins, and where do you buy your coins? Are there any safe online sites to buy coins?
I'm not talking expensive coins, but rather fair, good, or very good type coins, just to obtain specimens of types I don't already have. Not key dates or uncirculated.
TIA

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
Re: how and where to buy coins (not high dollar)?
August 25, 2015 09:05PM
I buy coins at the Gold and Silver jewelry store up here, I get some for club hunts and meetings, I also when I get extra money(not lately), I'll buy some for my coin books, last time I went, silver coins were 14 times their value
August 25, 2015 10:02PM
It's pretty difficult to do onesey and twoseys on line for coins and not have the postage make it very expensive. I suggest the nearest size coin shop which in your case looks like in Greensboro if the Pleasant Garden is true. Looks like one on Market and one on Stanley and you can use both to your advantage. There's nothing like establishing a working relationship with the local gold and silver dealers these days.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2015 10:03PM by shoveler.
August 25, 2015 11:21PM
Best price option is go to a REGIONAL coin show. Not the small local ones as they are mostly just your local guys still trying to rape folks. A regional will be on the order of 100 tables or more and have a lot of the big name guys there (silvertown, etc). Browse the tables, talk to the smaller dealers and buy from the ones you feel comfortable with. Hi priced small time crooks don't go to these shows because they cant sell anything amongst honest dealers.

For example, Chatanooga has a Regional show at the Camp Jordan complex 2x a year: [www.tsns.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2015 11:22PM by Champ Ferguson.
August 26, 2015 12:13AM
Antique malls are a good place to keep an eye out. I've seen coins at very reasonable prices.
August 26, 2015 12:53AM
Though Ebay is known for fakes, it is still a great place to buy coins. It is really worry free for the buyer since there is a money back guarantee.
Before a bid check sellers reputation usually 99 or 100 is very safe. Just my opinion but would not consider any high end coins on Ebay too risky for buyers and sellers.
Best way to tell a fake is often to weigh the coins, as noted shows, coin clubs or a good place to buy coins, most sellers will give a discount if asked.
August 26, 2015 12:23PM
I have picked up a few from estate sales that were reasonable. Also lots of silver utensils and jewelry that can be sold at melt value and still make a buck. I went to the coin show in Orlando back in January and there were a few good buys but it was hard to find.
August 27, 2015 02:54PM
DNW auctions in London have sales of US coins several times a year

[www.dnw.co.uk]
August 27, 2015 03:40PM
side note: stopped at my local coin dealer who buys and sells silver coins a lot and has been reasonable in the past on his markups. he wanted a 45% premium over spot for silver dimes and more (I didn't ask) for halves and quarters. This was by the roll, but was priced the same on 10 rolls.
I guess he's behind in his mortage or something! eye popping smiley
August 29, 2015 11:24AM
Try Auction Zip. I used to buy coins at local auctions reasonable. Now days they have a lot of on line auctions. Makes for a fun day.
August 29, 2015 12:56PM
There is a guy that has set up at the local flea market for 20+ years selling and buying coins. I remember when I was around 9 yrs old I would save up mowing money and go buy silver coins from him. I stopped in there last weekend. First time I had been there in about 8 yrs. He was still there selling coins....nothing in great shape. Just coins to say you had one kind of condition...but he was asking $40+ a piece for Morgan and Peace dollars!! And they were dinged and scratched up.
September 06, 2015 02:13PM
Go to your local coin club... many old timers selling coins cheap. Many flea market dealers purchase at the club where I'm a member. Just google "coin club" and your city.

Highlights from last Thursday's club auction:

1) Roll of Ike Dollars ($20 face) sold for $21
2) Ten circulated $1 silver certificates sold for $10.50
3) Nice circulated large cent, undamaged and uncorroded sold for $6
4) 1/10 oz gold Kruggarand (?) sold for $125
5) Two well worn barber halves sold for $13.50
6) Complete set of Circulated Jefferson nickels 1936-1964 sold for $19

Most clubs have auctions and allows visitors to buy coins with no premium added. You'll have to join the club to sell.

Bring a child and the kid often gets free gifts from members. (Hint: never bid against a child at a club auction; the members will throw you out! Remember, we can't take this stuff with us when we go.)