Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Racer gets a hard target out of beat to death Confederate Cavalry camp

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Racer gets a hard target out of beat to death Confederate Cavalry camp
August 27, 2015 01:50AM
I hate to say the machine did it ..But the machine did it on this one...My audible abilities could not of found this....Ive ran a ton of machine's over this target even the DEUS....

Not sure how the Racer does it but I kept getting a 86 reading in the iron roll's...

The hole was full of these kettle pieces...Suprising thing was once the target was out of the ground and by itself it read 86 ...its a Sash buckle really thick style...seems to of had a stone in the middle...silver wash...I can see a trooper wearing this.. it's heavy duty....Pure 1850's type...

Was running the 5x10 on this Site...this target has been swung hundreds of time by just me LOL...

the Racer has the uncanny ability to lock onto a target in iron and actually throw the right I.D. up it may be a glimpse/Flash I.D. but its correct...

Ive ran the Racer non stop all summer and It has become my go to machine....I run the 5x10 in place of the stock coil and keep the "OOR5" for the tight stuff...

Enough said..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2015 01:51AM by Keith Southern.
Re: Racer gets a hard target out of beat to death Confderate Cavalry camp
August 27, 2015 01:53AM
Way to gohot smiley the racer is a home run Keith and the 5x10 is a killer coil...

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2015 03:17AM by Lawrenzo.
August 27, 2015 02:00AM
Lawrenzo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Way to the racer is a home run Keith and the 5x10
> is a killer coil...

The 5x10 wont repalce the "OOR5"...But I feel for me it replaces the Stock coil with ease...

I hated to talk alot about the 5x10 till people got them since they were back-ordered for awhile...but there available now so I can talk more keenly of it..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
Re: Racer gets a hard target out of beat to death Confederate Cavalry camp
August 27, 2015 02:15AM
Not a fluke huh Keith? Is this happening to you time and again? . . . . May have to turn my attention back to that Racer do-dad.
August 27, 2015 03:22AM
I have yet to use the 5" coil but have a few places that I will need it and want to use it..I have not used my Deus much and that is starting to bother me because I didn't think the racer could even hold a candle to the deus and it is can't wait for fall I have some killer places that need a great machine. I wish the deus hada smaller coil but I have a feeling with the new update they have to stay in the game and still make some money...I see a new coil coming and maybe being able to use more then on freq at a time...if it works you should get more depth. I think a lot of relic hunters maybe keeping the power too high. In heavy iron I turn both the deus and the racer to about 45-50.

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
August 27, 2015 03:59AM
Lawrenzo, I'm hunting here in AZ where most of the targets in ghost towns and Railroad sidings are very shallow because we don't have all the vegetation dropping leaves over the top or insects and rodents digging below targets causing them to sink. Often I run The Racer gain at 01 in the really nasty iron infested sites. It sure helps to eliminate responses from adjacent pieces of junk. I really like the 5"x 10" for general purpose hunting but the 5" OOR takes the Racer to a whole other level in the super trashy sites.
August 27, 2015 04:07AM
Ahh it does happen time and time again. That's what flipped my switch with the Turkish machines! If it's blipping the same number in there more than likely something is there. Iron falsing has a totally different sound. The superb thing about them is when it hits "good metal" amongst the trash/iron, it just plainly put, sounds good. You've seen something else to pay attention to. I personally myself think the CoRe is better at it than the Racer, uh easier to understand the audio nuances. Great machines and nice sash................
August 27, 2015 05:23AM
I've had people wanting the 5x10 while they were out of stock. Now that they are in stock interest has died. Well everything slowed down. Picking back up though in prep for relic season. May have to get myself one for the woods this fall. I enjoy the 11" stock coil but then again I'm not a die hard relic guy and love the design on First Texas machines.
August 27, 2015 08:52AM
I'm toying with the thought of selling/trading my Tejon for a CoRe or a Racer. I know from the Racer I previously had, that they don't go extremely deep in my soil but I just gained permission for a new site with 4 old home sites in it...and there is a crap ton of junk around each of them. So depth wouldn't be the #1 priority. I hunted one of them with the Tejon and 5x8 DD coil the other day and could not get away from the rusty tin can and roof fragments that littered the ground. I did grab some musket balls and a pocketknife, and a brass looking salt/pepper shaker lid.
August 27, 2015 12:43PM
I use the 5x10'' coil most of the time when the 5" is not on. Also have a 5.5 X 10'' coming for my Nokta Fors CoRe should also work great. Traded my upgraded F75 for a Nokta Pro package. NICE!
August 27, 2015 12:45PM
I have found smaller pieces (coins and buttons for example) mixed in with more iron like that with my deus. confused smiley
August 27, 2015 02:19PM
Keith Southern Wrote:
> the Racer has the uncanny ability to lock onto a
> target in iron and actually throw the right I.D.
> up it may be a glimpse/Flash I.D. but its
> correct...

I had the exact same thought the other week, using the Racer and 5x10 coil. I like to lay out a few coins and gold ring on the ground before each hunt just to look at their numbers and tune in to their sound/signal.
I had a rusted square nail about 3 inches long I'd recently found, and placed it against a clad dime. I swung over it and got the same ID as the dime, alone, had just given. I thought to myself, hmm, there's no down averaging with the nail; I wonder how other detectors would handle this? (Might make for an interesting video?)

Congratulations on the terrific find, Keith. Well deserved!!

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
August 27, 2015 07:26PM
goldmanjace Wrote:
> I have found smaller pieces (coins and buttons for
> example) mixed in with more iron like that with my
> deus. confused smiley

Weird how the DEUS can jump on a smaller items in iron yet struggle with larger higher condcutor items in iron..

DEUS will find the smallest of buttons.. yet walk over a Silver dollar...

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
August 27, 2015 07:31PM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
> I'm toying with the thought of selling/trading my
> Tejon for a CoRe or a Racer. I know from the
> Racer I previously had, that they don't go
> extremely deep in my soil but I just gained
> permission for a new site with 4 old home sites in
> it...and there is a crap ton of junk around each
> of them. So depth wouldn't be the #1 priority. I
> hunted one of them with the Tejon and 5x8 DD coil
> the other day and could not get away from the
> rusty tin can and roof fragments that littered the
> ground. I did grab some musket balls and a
> pocketknife, and a brass looking salt/pepper
> shaker lid.

Hey Daniel I would get the 5x10 and OOR5 and if needed depth opt for the Larger coil...

Yes a Tejon in TIN is tough going..

one thing unique about the Racer's and CoRe's is the way the Visual I.D. locks on in iron.. it should not but it does..

Im not an I.D. watcher but as of late I run 3 tone and when that hint of High tone break's in and i check the I.D. if its above 84 Im digging some stuff I have not seen in years in iron like coins and things like the big brass in Pic above...

I go back to two tone and sound only type hunt for a final pull SO TO SPEAK on a site ..

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
August 27, 2015 07:40PM
Nice buckle Keith!
August 27, 2015 07:49PM
ozzie Wrote:
> Not a fluke huh Keith? Is this happening to you
> time and again? . . . . May have to turn my
> attention back to that Racer do-dad.

No flukes Ozzie....just targets coming to light...especially with the OOR5...

I Know its hard to believe .. and some sites produce and some dont or jsut barely ..But there all hunted equally hard....but on SOME sites thats been hammered as well as any I have, it will just light up targets thats hould have been dug...

When its on its on ....hot the right spot thats dead and it will seems like magic when targets jsut a few inches deep appear....

It was a let down at first because I thought I was hunting these sites very hard and to the best fo my ability... then It dawned on me its the machine doing it not me...Talk about a ego deflater, LOL!!!

that's where its almost seems like cheating ..

when you see it happen on a depleated site then you will appreciate it ...

Im not going to say I could not of dug that sash buckle with another machine even a DEUS but what the problem is if your not willing to remove a tone of horseshoes off this site then your missing targets...that's what this Buckle mimiced a Horseshoe...lots of iron growl wiht high hits.. the Racer just locked up the I.D. better than anyting else...the horseshoe wont lock by itself it may flash a 86 up there but it wont stay 86 on every pass...other machine's may throw a number up but wont stay consistant either...

On the Turkey units they seem to have figured out real time Visual I.D. feed.. Instead of conglomerate or Averaging the Visual is attached to the Rolling Audio.. and rolling audio is Synched with rolling Visual I.D. on a intelligent level..

The Turkeys are doing the work for you.. and even to an experienced hunter of decades instead of relying on massaging a target out of iron through trial and error by using a smotther spit vs a forced spit in iron and such listening for that piece of a signal and alot of exploratory digging to get the goodies.. the Turkey's just jump on and lock on even the most masked of target's and that's very encouraging for the future of machine design..

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
August 27, 2015 11:48PM
Keith you have to love that, eh? Nice digs!

I found the same thing when using the little 5" coil at a pounded site, would get an iffy sounding target, with jumps into the 80's and they turned out to be old coins that all the others machines missed, from an Etrac to a F75 LTD2!

I finally got my hands on the 5x10 coil for the Racer. I have an 8 day detecting trip coming up, so I'll be putting the 5x10 to the test, and in the heavy iron areas, the 5" will be in tow.

I can't wait to try the Racer as some pounded to death spots that I feel still probably still hold some great finds.....we shall see >grinning smiley<

hh,
Brian
August 27, 2015 11:55PM
Brian, I'll be doing my best to stay out in front of you with my Racer.
August 28, 2015 12:07AM
Wish I had time to hunt. Concentrating on my business right now. Hate to sell my Nokta, though.
August 28, 2015 12:20AM
"seems like magic when targets jsut a few inches deep appear...."

No truer words spoken, Keith run a magnet through the dirt in some of the places when you dig something you know you've been over before many times and see if you get a lot of decomposed iron, rather iron dust. That's what I've seen that is skewing all the other machines. Gottta love the turkish machines I'm telling ya. If someone can't after many hours see what they are capable of they must just be plain dumb.cool smiley
August 28, 2015 05:23PM
Jack Flynn Wrote:
> "seems like magic when targets jsut a few inches
> deep appear...."
>
> No truer words spoken, Keith run a magnet through
> the dirt in some of the places when you dig
> something you know you've been over before many
> times and see if you get a lot of decomposed iron,
> rather iron dust. That's what I've seen that is
> skewing all the other machines. Gottta love the
> turkish machines I'm telling ya. If someone can't
> after many hours see what they are capable of they
> must just be plain dumb.cool smiley

I think this is the part that's amazing, a lot of the targets aren't that deep, 6" deep targets that you'd expect any decent machine would be able to see, yet they don't.

I can't wait to take the Racer to some pounded ghost towns >grinning smiley<
August 28, 2015 06:31PM
Great find, Keith!!!!! Well done!!!!! I'm getting my Racer back from the shop today.......and your buckle is getting me in the mood to start swinging! (I probably could have worded that better...lol)
August 28, 2015 06:32PM
What's the OOR5 ? Haha. I feel so newb.
August 28, 2015 06:51PM
sir736 Wrote:
> What's the OOR5 ? Haha. I feel so newb.

5"DD Out Of Round (OOR)
August 28, 2015 07:34PM
Nice buckle!!!

So which detector is the apex in iron?????
August 29, 2015 01:18AM
Thanks Tom. So in order to get the 5x10 and the OOR5 that would be a separate purchase it appears.
The machine is finally available in Canada and the pro package has the following coils.
7x11" Coil
4.5x5" Coil
I assume these are DD but ?? And has anyone tried the Bluetooth headphones?
I'm not sure if we have all the accessories (coils,phones etc) available. Hard to pay that exchange rate ordering from the states now as well.
And winter is coming. Hahaha. I just bummed myself out.
Thanks guys.

Edit. I looked on the website (slap forehead). I see now the OOR is the 4.5x5. And they are all DD. so not a bad package. Lots of fun things for just over $1000.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2015 01:26AM by sir736.
August 29, 2015 01:08PM
sir736 Wrote:
> Thanks Tom. So in order to get the 5x10 and the
> OOR5 that would be a separate purchase it appears.
>
> The machine is finally available in Canada and
> the pro package has the following coils.
> 7x11" Coil
> 4.5x5" Coil
> I assume these are DD but ?? And has anyone tried
> the Bluetooth headphones?
> I'm not sure if we have all the accessories
> (coils,phones etc) available. Hard to pay that
> exchange rate ordering from the states now as
> well.
> And winter is coming. Hahaha. I just bummed myself
> out.
> Thanks guys.
>
> Edit. I looked on the website (slap forehead). I
> see now the OOR is the 4.5x5. And they are all DD.
> so not a bad package. Lots of fun things for just
> over $1000.

It wouldn't hurt to ask your dealer if they will sell you the pro pack with the 5x10 and 4.5x5, i.e., swapping out the 7x11 for the 5x10. They may say no, but they could say yes. I have both and I don't know that I will ever put the 7x11 back on the Racer.
The weight/balance is so much better with the 5x10, it gets in tight places better, separates better (less ground and targets under the coil at a time), and it swings almost identically to the 7x11 so you cover ground at nearly the same rate. It's a win-win-win!

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
August 29, 2015 01:50PM
Sweet buckle Keith, WTG!

Aaron
August 29, 2015 02:22PM
I asked around when I was trying to find a Racer; trying to see if I could get one with just the OOR and 5x10 coils and nothing else. What I was told by several people was the same exact thing....the stock 7x11 isn't really popular and doesn't have ANY kind of demand for resale. So in other words, they would just be stuck with them if they were to swap it out with one of the other coils.

I ended up finding a good deal on a used Racer with the stock coil, OOR coil, and I went ahead and added the 5x10 to it new. I don't think the stock coil will get much use for where I'm headed with it once it all gets here.

What was a little concerning to me though....I posted a WTB ad on Findmall for a Racer or CoRe. And in just one day after posting it, I had over 20 different people respond to the ad wanting to sell their detectors. I don't think I've ever had so much response to a WTB ad in such a short time.

Which worries me to wondering:

1. Maybe it's just that there is a great volume of these detectors out there, and the ratio to those keeping them is higher than those trying to part from them, although it seems like a lot are trying to sell them
2. Maybe there is only a small group of people that actually like them?

Who knows.
August 29, 2015 02:31PM
Congrats on a nice find....Have no doubt the unit is a fine detector, however we can miss any object by an inch or just by angle swing..Once hunted the oldest house in my home town. Tiny yard and swear I covered every inch but still produced after at least a dozen hunts even if it was just a wheat penny. Guess that's why an area is never hunted out....Matter of fact on my 6th or 7th hunt came up with a 5 inch deep large cent and we all know they give out quite a signal..Perhaps the unit did it and perhaps for some reason you just missed it...Indeed the hobby is not a fixed science...