Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Large coil for Etrac

Posted by Pac man 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Large coil for Etrac
October 05, 2015 07:44PM
Found a Sun Ray X-8 but now I want a larger than stock coil.

Have read a lot about the Ultimate and the Tornado. How would either of these do against the stock coil or should I be looking at something different?
No beach hunting,mostly silver coin hunting any place I can find.

Have the X-5,X-8 and stock coil.

All input welcome.

PacMan
Re: Large coil for Etrac
October 05, 2015 09:17PM
You'll have:
Extra weight
Less reliable discrimination
Reduced battery expectation
Instability (from ground noise and trash in close proximity I.e. In front and to the sides of the coil as it's swept along.
October 05, 2015 11:14PM
My soil is pretty highly mineralized and the recommended sensitivity on the etrac seldom runs above 15 even when offset to auto +3. I found little difference in performance from the stock coil with the Ultimate except for coverage. However , the NEL Hunter has been noticably better for separation and depth and is essentially the same coverage as the Ultimate with less weight. For wide open clean ground , look for a WOT 15".
October 05, 2015 11:36PM
Well ..I think the Ultimate is the cats meow!!!.....But if you have stock coil....just get a wot!!!!!
October 06, 2015 12:33AM
The Ultimate is actually a tad lighter than the stock Procoil, the separation is incredible and it is way more stable than the Tornado. ....the Ultimate is the best coil ever made....great with the E-trac
October 06, 2015 03:01AM
Spaceport Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Ultimate is actually a tad lighter than the
> stock Procoil, the separation is incredible and it
> is way more stable than the Tornado. ....the
> Ultimate is the best coil ever made....great with
> the E-trac

Not sure where you're getting your info but the Ultimate is actually about 3 ounces HEAVIER than the Procoil if my memory serves me.
Weighed both on a postal scale. You can't go off of the factory specs as Detech does not include the cord weight of the Ultimate.
Hunter coil comes in about almost 2 ounces heavier than stock but has a 2 year warranty as opposed to the one year Ultimate coil and costs about 50 bucks less.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2015 03:02AM by shoveler.
October 06, 2015 04:26AM
If interested I have an Excelerator EQ2 Pro 10x14 I will sell you for $75 shipped.
It is in fantastic condition.
I bought this when I was going to get an Etrac but end up getting a CTX instead.
This is supposed to be one of the best Etrac coils out there from what I have read.
I don't think you can get them anymore.
October 06, 2015 05:55AM

Cabin Fever Wrote:
If interested I have an Excelerator EQ2 Pro 10x14 I will sell you for $75 shipped.

It is in fantastic condition. I bought this when I was going to get an Etrac but end up getting a CTX instead.

This is supposed to be one of the best Etrac coils out there from what I have read.

I don't think you can get them anymore.

The ONLY place you can buy NEW EQ DD 10x14" Excelerator coils for the etrac (all E series machines) is from Detech themselves directly (shipped from the UK)

you are correct though - along with the 4.5x7" EQ DD Excelerator --- it too is an outstanding coil

it smokes the ultimate's when it comes to depth and separation

I ran 5 different coils on my Etrac including:

4.5x7 EQ DD (best after market coil ever made for FBS E series machines)
5x10 coiltech (junk)(waste of $$)
11" stock pro coil (ok coil)
13" ultimate (barely any improvement over stock coil)(waste of $$)
10x14 EQ DD (significant depth and separation improvement over stock coil and all others except -- separation of the 4.5x7)

$75 for a 10x14" EQ2 DD shipped to your door is a STEAL of a deal for that coil - if I had another Etrac = I'd jump on that in a heartbeat!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2015 07:06AM by MichiganRelicHunter.
October 06, 2015 06:39AM
PM sent

Cabin Fever Wrote:
> If interested I have an Excelerator EQ2 Pro 10x14
> I will sell you for $75 shipped.
> It is in fantastic condition.
> I bought this when I was going to get an Etrac but
> end up getting a CTX instead.
> This is supposed to be one of the best Etrac coils
> out there from what I have read.
> I don't think you can get them anymore.
October 06, 2015 07:25AM
Excelerator EQ2 SOLD!
Thanks Pac man.
Address sent through PM
October 06, 2015 09:02AM
shoveler Wrote:
> Spaceport Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > The Ultimate is actually a tad lighter than the
> > stock Procoil, the separation is incredible and
> it
> > is way more stable than the Tornado. ....the
> > Ultimate is the best coil ever made....great
> with
> > the E-trac
>
> Not sure where you're getting your info but the
> Ultimate is actually about 3 ounces HEAVIER than
> the Procoil if my memory serves me.
> Weighed both on a postal scale. You can't go off
> of the factory specs as Detech does not include
> the cord weight of the Ultimate.
> Hunter coil comes in about almost 2 ounces heavier
> than stock but has a 2 year warranty as opposed to
> the one year Ultimate coil and costs about 50
> bucks less.

I had to look up the post but the Ultimate 13 on my digital kitchen scale came in at 850 grams and the stock at 800. 50 grams is only 1.8 ounces or so. [www.dankowskidetectors.com]
The 12X13 NEL was quite a bit heavier and you felt it.

If I wanted depth, the weight difference would be mostly negligible and I'd go with the Ultimate 13. From testing, it's separation was about like the stock coil and that is pretty impressive.
Notice Uncle Nudge's post below mine on that link. He also seemed to think the Ultimate 13 was somewhat better than the stock.
Miss my E-Trac, but my back doesn't....

Albert
October 06, 2015 09:46AM
If anybody has another EQ2 Pro 10x14 or Ultimate 13 they would sell for a good price, hit me up. I think either of them is probably lighter weight than the original XS 10" coil.
October 06, 2015 10:05PM
I love the Sunray X-12 Coil even more then the stock Pro coil. In my area it hits deep silver on edge better then any Etrac coil I have used. It is as light as the Pro coil also and not many use them as you can tell by previous post's so gives an edge over competition. IMHO.
October 06, 2015 10:29PM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
> If anybody has another EQ2 Pro 10x14 or Ultimate
> 13 they would sell for a good price, hit me up. I
> think either of them is probably lighter weight
> than the original XS 10" coil.

Hey Daniel

I just traded my Sov. GT for a MINT Explorer XS with stock coil AND a brand new 15" WOT coil

also ordered a 4.5x7" EQ2 DD for it

we'll have to compare notes over the next few months grinning smiley

I'm gonna hunt this fall with the Racer and Explorer more than anything (F19 and Vaquero tossed in for fun now and then) but with the same goal/s

Racer for iron siftin/relic huntin and Explorer for deep silver/coin huntin

I've had excal's, sov. etrac. 2 ctx's but never an explorer so I had to see what it's all about smiling smiley
October 07, 2015 12:56PM
M.R.H. -- We have the same exact game plan in mind. Racer for heavy iron sites and Explorer XS for silver. I couldn't afford another CTX or even an eTrac so I picked up the XS at a great price and just put some good coils in the mix with it.

So far the biggest gripe I have about the XS is....the headphone jack only takes 1/8 size headphone adapters. My best/favorite headphones have the more standard 1/4 size male plug in. And not being able to plug it to the computer and download programs/patterns. Everything must be inputed by hand...which eats battery life. That makes me sort of wish I could have gotten an eTrac...but everything I read says the XS is better.
October 07, 2015 10:09PM
AH Come on Daniel all the detectors you buyed and tried this year alone you could have got at least 2 CTX's.LOL!
October 08, 2015 02:38AM
Harold -- Everything changed around May/June this yr and my toy buying has halted. I went from being able to buy any toy I wanted, to scraping pocket change to buy Ramen noodles. Lol I bought 30 acres that we've been clearing and prepping for a house, and lemme tell ya, paying for permits for the state, soil tests for building site, clearing trees and excavating the build site...it will drain a fella steady and fast of any extra cash. We've had to reach deeper into the cookie jar than what I wanted. Some of those permits blind sided me. A septic permit is $500 here and that was just to apply for one. Once applied, they make you hire a soil scientist to do a soil test and perk test. Soil test was $250 and perk test was $800. And then they said since our property has a creek on it...it had to be surveyed to see whether it was a flood zone or not for a 100 yr flood, which meant hiring a state licensed surveyor to do that. He charged us $400 for that. So at that point I was already at nearly $2,000 and 3 months behind for just papers and permits before I could even move dirt. And I wont even go into the troubles and surprises after they broke ground. smiling smiley By the time we get moved in, I probably could have bought CTXs, GPXs, and every accessory coil and trinket for them, and anything else just based on permits and surprise things that have came up that needed taken care of before we could proceed to the next person waiting with their hand out.
October 08, 2015 10:45PM
Got my Eq2 Pro from Cabin Fever / Bryan today.

New condition as described.One of the easiest transaction I ever made.

Thanks Bryan

Initial thoughts.

Well built for sure
Little heavy. Time will tell if my shoulder and elbow can hold up.
Used it a little in my back yard so really can't comment on performance but seemed to separate well for its size.
Tried it in my test garden and no problem hitting my 8" and 10" dime. Numbers jumpy on the 10" but that is expected.
Hit my 6" dime on edge with real authority.
Think I'm going to like it.

Only thing that I did not expect and don't care for is that it wont lay flat on the ground because of the coil ears interfere with the shaft. No way to set it down without the detector falling over.

Dwight