Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Dilek - MAKRO

Posted by NASA-Tom 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Dilek - MAKRO
January 28, 2016 03:22PM
Glad to hear this. Take your time........ experiment....... learn........... and keep us posted!
January 29, 2016 02:17PM
Well my day started with turning on my water only to see its brown in color. Had my well run dry? No the well reserve tank bladder had ruptured and that was where the rust was coming from. So it took all day to get that resolved. So while the Plummer was working on that I went out to my 5 year old test garden to see how the CF77 would handle the transformer on the back corner of my property. I have mild soil with only 2 bars and reading 58 on the F75.
While the interference comes and goes and not sure why, I can always tell when it is happening with my F75-2. It was on and it was very noticeable. Not a problem though with the CF77. Stable as it could be.
I find the controls on the back to be inconvenient but once set I didn't have to mess with them much. Once set the knobs stay where they were set so that is a plus. No O rings needed like on my Tesoro. I have several coins that have sunk I would say 2" since they were buried. While the ET hit my 10" (buried 8") quarter and dime it upped the ferrous number and even the tone was high but "thunked". The CF77 while it went between the low-high tone when I cut the iron volume off it was a soft very clear high tone that would have gotten dug up. I was using the 11" coil to match the coils used on the ET and F75.
Still the balance is my favorite thing so far. A pleasure to swing not wearing my shoulder out. I must have gotten a tall mans rod with this. I'm 6' and have to put rod in al the way but works at that point. I also see that the tip goes farther in than other MD's which seems to take the wiggle out when swinging the bigger coils.
So far the morning hasn't brought any surprises so will be hitting a spot or two today.

Wondering who included the bag of what I believe is some "hot rocks" in the bag with the 16" coil? JR
January 29, 2016 03:05PM
ShovelNose Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well my day started with turning on my water only
> to see its brown in color. Had my well run dry? No
> the well reserve tank bladder had ruptured and
> that was where the rust was coming from. So it
> took all day to get that resolved. So while the
> Plummer was working on that I went out to my 5
> year old test garden to see how the CF77 would
> handle the transformer on the back corner of my
> property. I have mild soil with only 2 bars and
> reading 58 on the F75.
> While the interference comes and goes and not sure
> why, I can always tell when it is happening with
> my F75-2. It was on and it was very noticeable.
> Not a problem though with the CF77. Stable as it
> could be.
> I find the controls on the back to be inconvenient
> but once set I didn't have to mess with them much.
> Once set the knobs stay where they were set so
> that is a plus. No O rings needed like on my
> Tesoro. I have several coins that have sunk I
> would say 2" since they were buried. While the ET
> hit my 10" (buried 8") quarter and dime it upped
> the ferrous number and even the tone was high but
> "thunked". The CF77 while it went between the
> low-high tone when I cut the iron volume off it
> was a soft very clear high tone that would have
> gotten dug up. I was using the 11" coil to match
> the coils used on the ET and F75.
> Still the balance is my favorite thing so far. A
> pleasure to swing not wearing my shoulder out. I
> must have gotten a tall mans rod with this. I'm 6'
> and have to put rod in al the way but works at
> that point. I also see that the tip goes farther
> in than other MD's which seems to take the wiggle
> out when swinging the bigger coils.
> So far the morning hasn't brought any surprises so
> will be hitting a spot or two today.
>
> Wondering who included the bag of what I believe
> is some "hot rocks" in the bag with the 16" coil?
> JR

The hotrocks are in there to eventually make it to NASA Tom. Ozzie wanted me to contribute some nice PA hotrocks to Tom's collection of testing items. Anyone who gets the CF77 to test, please leave those rocks in the compartment for the 16" coil so Tom gets them.
January 29, 2016 03:52PM
JR......... sounds like you are off to a good start. Yes...... curious to see how you do on (at least) a few hunts.
January 31, 2016 02:02PM
Got out to a late 40's apartment complex that all the buildings have been cleared to make room for a complex of town homes and shopping centers. It is near downtown(uptown whatever) and is on the edge of a very rough area of town. When the buildings were removed they did a very careful job due to the asbestos so the cleanup didn't leave a lot of trash spread out. Still from the work done on them over the years you can still get into the roofing nails and some aluminum and copper pipe. Not to mention pop tab city.

Wanting to try the larger coil I went out to an area of open field and picked up a few coins but dug a lot of everything. Surprised how easy to pip point with a coil of this size. Got nothing over a couple of inches. This place though very large has been hunted hard and has had numerous club hunts there. Still I can pull over 40 coins every time I go. Mostly copper pennies but still a silver will pop out from time to time. I use my ET and use the trashy park pattern. Doing this I average 10 nickels per trip and by doing so have flip a plug only to have a beaver tail tab and 10k cocktail ring come out. Have dug as many as 20 in a outing though all Jeffersons. No digs nickels it seems.

I moved to the 9" coil and really like the quick turn bolt that comes with it. Decided to pick a spot between where the sidewalks went to the front doors and dig all signals good or bad. First target was a mixture of all 3 tones so had to see what that was. When I flipped the plug there is a costume gold plated snake with stones that had been hit by a lawnmower. Stuck the pp in and lots of pieces of it came out. Swinging the coil over the hole I was still getting a low/high tone. Another shovel of dirt out which is putting me at the length of the pp I get a 4' long sq. head bolt. Thinking I was getting wrap around almost closed the hole but stuck the coil over one more time and glad I did. Still getting the high tone I reach down in the hole to get a 1941 Walking Liberty Half. I know of at least 6 guys that have gone over it and sure I passed on that signal in the past. Ended up with 2 more costume rings and a copper locket.
While a dig all MD is not what I normally use except at tot lots it goes to show that it can pay off. I have to say this is a well balanced MD. I hunted for 3 hours and my shoulder didn't bother me a bit. HH JR
February 01, 2016 03:15AM
JR.....really good to hear this report. Congrat's on the big silver! Hard to say if it was 'unmasked'...... or simply 'digging everything' ..... so as to become familiar with new detector and audio. But...... this is where learning-curves greatly enhance. I'm curious to know what maximum depths you ascertain..... in the best of areas.
February 01, 2016 02:08PM
In a rush I failed to mention I had scanned both areas with my ET and all it saw was the bolt showing as I recall a 32 42. The Walker was the length of the Garrett PP deep. It saw all 3 targets as I was hearing all 3 tones depending on the angle of the swing. Using Mode 1. I spent at least an hour swinging the 11" in a open area next to where the playground was and lots of activity took place. It seems to have the best layer of soil before it hits clay. I listen for just softer signals and past this time on the louder tones but the only ones were not over 5" and they all were small targets.

Going to a very old farm field tomorrow that has had a wagon trail go thru with a stable on one side and a general store on the other. The trail leads to a large creek where a mill and swimming hole was located. With all the rain and hunting season I have not been able to get to that area yet. All though hunting season is over there has been several poachers caught there by the property owner and says I still need to wear orange and don't go by myself. I will be trying the 16" first to see if the depth helps but when near the building areas I will drop to the 9" to try and "unmask" non ferrous targets. Lots of sq. nails Owner has offered to plow(not disc) the area but not sure he can do it before I get there. Would only do small area as its not allowed in NC due to run off to the creek area. I am going to video this and show the house that is still standing from the 1800's. I have dug several Barber coins here but still haven't gotten any copper coins. Hoping that changes.
February 01, 2016 06:45PM
Ok...... understand. And I'm curious if you find genuine application for the 16" coil.
February 23, 2016 09:04PM
Sorry to be so long to post my last hunt. Weather, heath and video card in laptop has made it hard to get back.

Invited to hunt a home first established 1880 by the same family living there. Across the dirt road sits a small fake brick covered frame building. General store in the 20’s. Because of the large number of farms in the area big power poles and lines run down the road. My host is swing an ET and I was using the CF 77.

The ground was sandy and loose around the house and dark and very loose. Lots of large old Black Walnut trees around the Gen Store so sure lots have gone deeper than we could hit due to the lines and electric fences. Not a lot there left for us. Very clean around the house and grown up with thorns around the store. So out to the edges and field.

My first MD was a Tesoro Silver U so I have used a dig all before but this one is on steroids compared to it. Fresh batteries to start. EMI was a factor at times at this site. Dug a lot of aluminum and if given time was seeing the edges of the signal gave a lot of info. A no date Buffalo, several memorial pennies, one dime quarter and 2 large square nails. Modern trash. Good targets of any kind were hard to come by. This place was almost “Sterile” it was so clean around the house. Not even many roofing nails.

Always started out with 11” coil and tried both the 9 and 16” at every site at least for a few minutes. 11” is my go to. The “Pro” combo does let you adapt to a changing environment of high trash to open field. Like the 16” but not much use for it unless at beach. Really like the 9”

This is much deeper in AM. The EMI did effect out MD’s even in the back of the field. Someone was turning a fence off and on or running the feeder it seemed because it would come and go. Most of the time I was able to run at 7 sens and 4 GB with Iron audio on low. My friends ETrac sensitivity when this happen would drop to 7 in auto and above 11 it got unstable several times while on site.

The tones in mode 1 were easy to tell the difference. The low conductor tone is just right but the high seemed a little harsh and the low not deep enough for my “older ears” in the field. I like to run with a small amount of iron audio and having the options to cut it was used a good bit I liked going back and listening to what the single tone in General would sound like. I found the pitch of the AM sounded good to my ears. Unable to tell if I got any depth advantage. Never seem to hit anything over 6” inches and the ET didn’t have any better luck.

The CF with the battery pouch attached never rolled over like I thought it would. Having the HP jack toward the coil helped. I found the coil wire ran along the foam handle and even with a strap kept getting under my hand.

With not having to adjust too much the use of the analog knobs not a problem but found at this farm I had to adjust sensitivity And GB several times so I like my controls at my fingertips.

Thanks for letting me try it out. Getting ready to move so lots of packing and time to pass along. Fun going to a dig till you drop machine. Lots of surprises when the plug is flipped. Using this has made me very interested in the Racer 2. Like the feel of the Macro. HH JR
May 09, 2016 09:06PM
John,,,,,,,, SkiWhiz is interested in testing this detector next........ if you have the time.
May 19, 2016 06:14AM
Steve the CF77 is on its way. With all the history in the area you live I can't wait to see the finds along with the depth you should get in that soil. Thanks to Tom and Makro for the chance to try out the CF77. The best find was the well masked Walking Liberty half dollar. I have since gone to buy the Racer Gold and the Racer 2 which is quickly growing into one of my favorite machines in my collection. HH JR
October 21, 2016 01:04AM
Dilek,

With your concurrence, I'd like to ship the original Red Racer-1 to diggwr27 (at my expense) for him to test/experiment/try............ with multiple targeted rationale. I will not hold (require) him accountable for posting his finds/experiences. This will be completely his choice.
October 21, 2016 05:39AM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> Dilek,
>
> With your concurrence, I'd like to ship the
> original Red Racer-1 to diggwr27 (at my
> expense) for him to
> test/experiment/try............ with multiple
> targeted rationale. I will not hold (require) him
> accountable for posting his finds/experiences.
> This will be completely his choice.

Sure Tom. Go ahead.
October 21, 2016 08:49AM
Well look who came out from under the sand dune, I'll be darned. Good to know you're still with us Tom, any good tales to tell us? Above everything else, I hope all is well.
October 21, 2016 10:37AM
ShovelNose Wrote:
> Sorry to be so long to post my last hunt. Weather,
> heath and video card in laptop has made it hard to
> get back.
>

"I hear ya on the laptop video card thing...mine can be tempermental as well. I wish you all the best with a full recovery to your health"
October 21, 2016 01:43PM
Digger I hope you unlock it's magic and tell the world about it like you have with the F2 and F70. Makro would welcome the sales!
October 23, 2016 08:08PM
diggwr27 ........ would you be interested in trying the Racer-1. Of all the detectors that I own.......... (and with your specific type of skillset....and your hunting style)............. the Racer-1 is one of the very best in my inventory that targets your specific hunting application(s). You can answer me on this thread...... or send me a PM.
October 24, 2016 03:36PM
Steve/SkiWhiz,

Mike in CO (on this forum) would like to try the CF77 next......... if/when you are complete using/testing it. Can you hook up with (PM) him....... and coordinate dates/times/shipping?
October 28, 2016 01:37AM
Ok Tom, got your Pm, didn't realize I was being offered this chance...a great honor.
In my reply I mentioned the severe drought we are having...it's bad.
It took me more than 5 minutes to chop down and recover a 3" nickel in this concrete like red clay infested soil yesterday...then I gave up and went home.
Not many places to hunt that are diggable right now and probably won't be for several more weeks but if nobody else is in line for this thing or expecting to be I will be happy to accept it and try to find a few places that might work.
If anyone else was in mind for this one I would hate to hold onto it for weeks waiting for conditions to improve around here because it might be awhile till things get good enough to actually put it through its paces thoroughly.
I am curious about what these things can do in my difficult soil.

So great that you thought of me for this!
October 28, 2016 09:40AM
All business I guess. Does anyone know why Tom D. doesn't write to the forum anymore?
October 28, 2016 01:05PM
Hi diggwr27,

No, I have never offered the Racer to anyone to test. You are the first........ and for very specific reasons. Your intense attention-to-detail scientific dissection (and subsequent thorough/comprehensive analysis)...... has prompted me to search/analyze my entire inventory..... and hand-pick this one for you to try. I could just as easily send you a Racer-2; yet, my gut says the Racer-1 targets you better (((and it's deeper))). Your learning-curve will be minimal...... as the Racer is akin to the T2/F70/F75 platform.
There is no time-pressure for you to test this unit. If you must wait for the ground to soften; no problems.
I do recommend reading the Racer Field Test thread.

The CF77 is still making the rounds throughout the Country.

((( Oops...... let me go check your PM ))).
October 28, 2016 01:31PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> Hi diggwr27,
>
> No, I have never offered the Racer to anyone
> to test. You are the first........ and for very
> specific reasons. Your intense attention-to-detail
> scientific dissection (and subsequent
> thorough/comprehensive analysis)...... has
> prompted me to search/analyze my entire
> inventory..... and hand-pick this one for you to
> try. I could just as easily send you a Racer-2;
> yet, my gut says the Racer-1 targets you better
> (((and it's deeper))). Your learning-curve will be
> minimal...... as the Racer is akin to the
> T2/F70/F75 platform.
> There is no time-pressure for you to test this
> unit. If you must wait for the ground to soften;
> no problems.
> I do recommend reading the Racer Field Test
> thread.
>
> The CF77 is still making the rounds throughout the
> Country.
>
> ((( Oops...... let me go check your PM ))).

Fantastic!
I will start the learning process immediately and start studying up.
Around here all the lawns are dying, a local lake that is a main water source is down to 30% of normal levels and still falling, really heavy fines if you are caught watering your lawn at the wrong time on the wrong day...things are pretty desperate.
No rain in sight for at least the next two weeks, we are having record high temps which is only compounding the problem.
The whole state has drought warnings but my area and a few other counties around me have the most extreme problems...just call me Mr. Lucky.
What a time to be offered this opportunity.

I will keep you informed and let you know when things get better so I can give it a fair appraisal.
Promise to do a full report on my insights and observations...that is one thing I love to do in this hobby about as much as finding the good stuff.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2016 02:23PM by diggwr27.
October 28, 2016 11:57PM
So who's got the CF77 now??

Waiting for the next report on it!

Deep machine for sure - reminded me of a sov. type machine almost with how it sounds.
Diggwr27
October 29, 2016 12:41AM
I bet you are going to love the R1. I had an F70 , then switched to the R1. I love the audio and the way it handles the ground. Its a keeper.
Re: Diggwr27
October 29, 2016 12:09PM
possum mo Wrote:
> I bet you are going to love the R1. I had an F70 ,
> then switched to the R1. I love the audio and the
> way it handles the ground. Its a keeper.

Tom says it is similar to the F70 platform and I know and understand that one really well.
For whatever reason, technically speaking, he thinks the 1 might work even better than the 2 in my area with this devil dirt.
I have the normal SE mineralization problems here but I wish that was all I had to deal with...here in the city the iron infestation problem is even worse than most might imagine possible because of the history of what went on here since the 1800's.
They didn't nickname Birmingham the "Steel City" for nothing.
I figured out ways around it all using the F70 and some sometimes outside the box thinking on settings and deeper target behavior so hopefully this one will work as well...or even better.
I will go with the flow and see what happens...if we ever get some rain here again one day.
So far over 40 days since we have seen a drop and way longer than that since our last drenching.
October 29, 2016 01:23PM
Dave,

PM me your mailing address.
October 30, 2016 03:23AM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> Dave,
>
> PM me your mailing address.

Right-e-o.
October 30, 2016 04:47AM
tom!.."smart money would say give it initially to "bill!"
he will make some great videos hunting with it,and everybody can watch 'em!
i'm just saying'

(h.h.!)
j.t.
October 30, 2016 03:23PM
Just read the manual, got some favorite settings from Monte, read through the entire Racer field test thread and I have a few initial impressions.....

This thing sounds like it might be right up my alley.
Open gate continuous processing...I hunt using all metal sense and thresh maxed out all the time using my F70....sometimes even with SL boost frequently in my mineralized dirt with many areas that can be described as having that "carpet of nails", always in sites with beyond that into the insane amounts of iron arena.
A friend of mine that hunts with me using an E Trac noticed my settings and watched me and what was going on regarding the screen and listened to the audio...he was shocked I was able to recognize anything, target anything or dig anything good especially at a bit deeper levels that he seems not to be able to get to very easily.
He sees what I have found without filling my trash pouch with useless iron so he knows it works for me but he still finds it a little hard to believe.
He once said it is like I gather all the massive amount of data and use my brain, eyes and ears as my only discriminator...successfully, something he is not able to do to near this extent.
I just say it was learned over a long time with a lot of practice and in this bad soil one of the best ways to do it in my experience.
This real world no lag processing speed the Racer has, I wonder if I can keep up but I believe I can with just a bit of practice.
It will be fun to try.

I use all metal or hunt using 1 monotone or 1F predominantly on the F70....I can see using all metal and two tone will be what I will be using on the Racer.
Nice to have multi tones but considering three tones supposedly loses some depth and I have very few sites that are open and free of trash I don't see myself trying that mode often if at all.
Maybe some quick brooming some rare areas for shallow clad just to hear the tones once in awhile but not going to be a favorite.

The smaller coil is coming....with the surprising performance in depth most have seen using it that one will be my prime.
I use snipers most of the time anyway, even in large areas so I have the patience and experience to enjoy that one the most.
I have a couple of picnic pavilions and at least one basketball court I have hunted pretty well in the past...perhaps there is a few more goodies this thing can uncover fairly easily in those extremely trash packed areas.

The backlight, flashlight and vibration features all sound pretty cool....and I ain't gonna ever use them.
I don't hunt at night and that vibration thing might scare me...distract me at the very least.

No depth gained from the gain set between 65 and 98, I will try the entire range but Tom's 80 setting for volume but still hear some modulation sounds about right for me.
That 99 setting that might trigger a wall of noise but might be a slight boost of some kind and that even Tom says might be unneeded and unintelligible....don't think that I won't try it at least once.
I can handle a ton of noise if necessary for optimum good target recovery volumes.

Hunting at 10 ID...probably the way to go but pushing down further even to 0 just to see what happens is planned.
Let's see how good that brain discriminating thing I think I have does down there.

And yes, I also own a GoPro camera and make vids from time to time and many seem to enjoy them.
I use a head strap which I use to focus on the screen along with seeing the action recovering the targets and I like to show the entire process from target acquisition and all the tones and screen and target behavior to pulling them out of the ground.
I also love spending the time using the editing software to cut out the dead spots.
If you guys are real lucky and if the MD gods smile down upon me I might even show you guys my version of the happy dance if something really great pops up.
That has never been captured on film before.
Watching vids of hunters showing items on top of a pile of dirt already dug without showing the process are not my favorites, entertaining in their own right but not very educating.
While wearing it the whole rig makes me look absolutely stupid but that is not a far cry from my normal look without it and it does work good so I guess it is time to break it out and charge it up.

Starting to get excited about the whole thing now, I will find someplace, somewhere where I can dig some and learn a few things.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2016 03:44PM by diggwr27.
October 30, 2016 03:35PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> John,,,,,,,, SkiWhiz is interested in testing this
> detector next........ if you have the time.
It is on it's way to him, mailed out by usps priority mail on Saturday October 29th. 2016. It was nice of you to let me use the CF77 Tom, I really appreciate it.