Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Broken ear on coil. Help

Posted by Mccrorysjewelry2 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Broken ear on coil. Help
November 04, 2015 03:27AM
Went for a hunt Sunday and noticed one of the rabbit ears on my CTX coil was broken. Since I bought the detector used and the warranty has already ran out Minelab won't fix or replace it. Does anyone know of a way to repair this problem? Don't know how it happened. I don't over tighten my coils or rough with them. Anyone know of a cheap fix? Thanks
Re: Broken ear on coil. Help
November 04, 2015 03:32AM
Here's some info.

CFMCT's recommendation is a good one...

[metaldetectingforum.com]
November 04, 2015 03:42AM
Ive fixed broken ears by taking the coil cover and cutting it up in little slices then pouring MeK on the pieces and mix to a slurry the pieces melt into a sticky glue substance.. then put some MeK on both pieces of the break and let it soften the plastic.. the take the slurry and glob on the pieces both sides and down to the top of the coil housing.. let it dry then sand it to shape...

pretty rugged..

what it does it take the plastic to a liquid state then back to a solid...

just a suggestion...experiment for awhile on plastics to get it right

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
November 04, 2015 11:04AM
Picture might help...... because when you say broken, does that mean parts are gone and how much is left to work with? If its cracked ....... might try something called Bondic or even loctite 3600 epoxy. If there is enough to attach to....... might try a some Lenx plastic. cut a piece for both sides with a hard plastic spacer in the middle then loctite 3600 it together.
November 04, 2015 03:17PM
Several bonding agents out there that the even use for auto motor repair..You take two agents and mix them together and follow directions..I would check the contents before I do so it doesn't affect the coil..Might try a local hardware store where you have a clerk explain the best for your needs.
November 04, 2015 04:10PM
Most coils are made of PCV plastic. You can get a PVC plumbing piece and cut a new ear out of it. Then use PVC cement to attach. If there is any of the original ear still on the coil, you can attach the new piece to the inside or outside to strengthen the broken ear. This is much easier to do on a Black coil as they make black PVC cement.
November 04, 2015 06:05PM
Thanks everyone for your help. Going to try one of these ideals you have given me see if one works. Kevin
November 04, 2015 11:21PM
Here is an idea. Buy a new coil.eye popping smiley
November 05, 2015 01:17AM
(A) spend $350 on a new coil or (cool smiley try find a way to fix the used one. I think I will go with B. But thanks Harold for your suggestion.
November 05, 2015 05:10AM
WOW! 350.00, is this the Pro coil? I didn't know they were that much.
November 05, 2015 05:14AM
It's a CTX 3030 coil. They are expensive and if one can be salvaged by repair---well worth it..
November 05, 2015 06:17AM
And to think, people were upset when the Racer had coil ears breaking off. At least Makro was good enough to replace all the coils with broken ears. They didn't ask for the broken coil back, shipped the new one free of charge and even included a hat and shirt with the new coil. That Minelab makes a really good product while it's working but after that you're pretty much on your own.thumbs up
November 25, 2015 10:05PM
If it's PVC or ABS, it can be welded. Which is about as good as new. Sometimes better due to the build up of material forming the bead which adds strength. First determine the plastic type then get out your yellow pages and look up mechanical contractors and start calling. Most industrial mechanical contractors have the capability of welding plastic.
November 25, 2015 11:29PM
Well now on my Racer coil replacement, when I contacted Detector Electronics Corp., who I bought my Racer from, about my broken coil ear I
was told to send the bad coil back to them and then they would send out a replacement to me. They sent the coil, never received a hat or t-shirt?
November 26, 2015 12:22AM
Is it a spoked coil or a soild coil.
If it's solid buy or find a 1/8" piece of plastic or plexiglass and cut out half moon piece the size of half the coil.
Except about a 3" section in the middle cut it where when heared and bent it will be tall enoungh to drill for a ear.Now where you can heat it with a heat gun/hair dryer and make a 90 degree bend use a kitchen table or whatever has a flat 90 deg.edge.
Now with some amazing goop mount it on the top and clamp with some of the bigger plastic spring clamps or set something kinda heavy on it.
When it sits over night you won't get it off.
Now drill your bolt hole and you done.
If it spoked the same thing as the goop is wicked good.
Just on both sides of spokes drill holes big enough for smaller/medium tie straps,say 2-3 per spoke and tie wrap along with the goop on the spokes.

------------"Cz's still bad to the bone".------------
Living on a big ass Astroid.
The woman that got my rib,I want it back.
November 26, 2015 12:24AM
Oh I would leave the plastic/plexiglass whole and not cut to match the spokes as it will be stronger that way.
Also any remainder of the old ear will need filed off.

------------"Cz's still bad to the bone".------------
Living on a big ass Astroid.
The woman that got my rib,I want it back.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2015 12:28AM by supertraq.