Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Gold and silver from my crazy soil!

Posted by diggwr27 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Gold and silver from my crazy soil!
November 18, 2015 05:07PM
I hunt in heavy mineralization at sites loaded with iron of all sizes both shallow and deep.
Extra iron because of the minerals existing in the soil and the history of this city rooted in the iron and steel industries.
For months I have been tweaking and experimenting with my F70 attempting to crack the code and get deeper than most other VLF detectors I ever heard of around here, or at least make sense of those deeper skewed crazy jumpy signals at depth we get every time.
In the worst of this soil try to get much past 3-4" and it gets crazy...hard to believe but true.
I think I did it, or at least I am digging deeper good targets up to the 6-8" level that aren't iron more often than not.
As much as it would be nice to be able to afford and try all the new whizbang iron hunting miracle machines in the world that just won't be happening for me.
I enjoy learning my detectors to the point that others can't believe the things I have done and then push it even further than that if possible.
Heck, I can hardly believe some of the things I have managed to accomplish and I was there when they happened.
I still maintain I have only scratched the surface of what my Fisher can do, but in the past few weeks I have recovered several older coins in a local park that has been hunted for 60 years.
Couldn't do it with other detectors, couldn't do it with my F70 at first but slowly I learned to do it.
Yesterday in my local park with that devil soil, 90 years of trash and built on a landfill so also plagued with a ridiculous amount of iron I found a little spot that appears to be virgin.
I can hardly believe that after 60 years of local hunters hitting this park everybody missed these things, what I can believe that they were all just deep enough to show up as jumpy, slightly crazy nonsense trashy signals so nobody bothered to dig them if they were scanned.
Not long ago I would have missed or ignored them too but no more.
Not a huge area in this big park but it was at the end of my hunt so after digging only a few signals here, a couple of different tabs
and these targets, the wheat and the gold, I took off and I can't wait to get back there.
I dug a silver spoon on the outskirts of this area earlier, moved away and then came back to find the middle area with a heavier concentration of targets so who knows what else might be hiding.
Cherry picking hunters missed them including the 2 high tones, I didn't and I will make an effort not to miss anything else if I can.
The F70 and the DD sniper coil is working the best for me so far, it seems to be able to snake through or get around the heavy iron the best and give me the most reliable info.
I don't have any plans on giving up my Fisher anytime soon...it seems to be doing a superb job for me so far.

Good targets found yesterday at 5" or deeper.
A part of a silver spoon and a 1916 wheat both high tones.

8.8 grams of big 14k gold at the 4-5" level a high tab signal.

Hopefully more to come.

Oh yea, one more crazy thing happened yesterday.

The most shocking thing that happened to me was not finding the gold but what my wife said to me when I offered it to her.
She said...and it is still hard to believe this..."This pendant is too big and gaudy for me to wear".
Life is just full of so many surprises.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2015 05:26PM by diggwr27.
Re: Gold and silver from my crazy soil!
November 18, 2015 05:40PM
Very nice. Congrats.
I hunted in soil like that a couple times. It does have a negative impact on detectors--on some moreso than others.
November 18, 2015 06:45PM
Nice digs!!

I like that Piece fo Gold!!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
November 18, 2015 08:39PM
Really starting to be rewarded!
November 24, 2015 01:46AM
Very nice digs! Congratulations on the gold! Those small coils are great in trashy areas...Stuart
November 24, 2015 02:09AM
Nice hunt.