Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

How do you carry your equipment to your favorite spots

Posted by Kevin B 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
How do you carry your equipment to your favorite spots
January 22, 2016 09:02PM
If this has been recently covered, please forgive me. The ice has me home-bound and I am trying to improve my technique. I like to carry two bottleos of water, snacks, batteries, plus a scap-finds pouch, plus a Lesche knife and a pin pointer....into the field. Right now my set up is a Garrett scrap finds pouch and it's nylon belt and plastic buckle. I thread my Lesche holster and PinPointer holster onto it. I have used it so much that it has become a tangled mess that I have to rearrange everytime. I'd like something like a vest. Do any of you guys use a fishing or a Militarty vest? I'm gonna order something and I want to get it right the first time. Hence......this request for information. Thank ya kindly for any feedback that you are willing to offer. kevin
Re: How do you carry your equipment to your favorite spots
January 22, 2016 09:07PM
If you have a BPS nearby they have vests in their Fly fishing section. Thats what i use one long hunts. I also have about a 40" tall camo back pack that loads from the top. It'll hold a detector broken down in half, a sampson digger, headphones, finds bag, water, snacks, plus whatever else. I use it as kind of a home base on day long woods hunts.
January 22, 2016 09:14PM
Backpack...got a few...depends on how far a hike,etc got email from attacks to a nice spray 70L.
January 22, 2016 09:39PM
My goto thing is a carpenters belt with harness I bought from the hardware store. I got a non leather one that had big nail bags on each side of it. I took the tape measure holder off it, hammer holder off it...and then had room to put my Lesche sheath on one side and my pinpointer holster attaches to the left side of the harness on my chest; it is always right there. I had room in the back to attach a camera case for when I as videoing my hunts...and then later on when I got a GPX, it served as a place to put my battery pack. The nail bags have side pockets in them...in which I usually keep a small Plano fishing tackle pack in there for buttons. I can throw a big bottle of water in the packs like saddle bags. All my other finds go in the bags too...junk on one side and goodies in the other. I can carry a lot of stuff and still be extremely mobile and don't have to lay the stuff down. That was my problem with a backpack...I would take it off and lay it some place, and sometimes when I get to hunting I will wander off and end up 300+ yards from my pack and have to go back and get it for something.
January 22, 2016 09:57PM
H type combat suspenders on pistol belt---can put any size or number of military pouches from front to back. You can carry as little or as much stuff as you want with a pouch for every item/s. Never have to take it off--been wearing the same outfit for 40+ years.
January 22, 2016 10:12PM
The backpack / bag that came with the "Racer" does it for me.

But today carried 2 Minelab bags - Excal in the morning to the beach - C Scope afternoon to a field.
Contained within were a Canon HD camcorder, a Go Pro, tripods, diggers, headphones, spare batteries, gloves, hats, ski pants (really windproof and warm) 2 Thermos bottles, water, sandwiches etc.

Phew... I really should 'hire someone' to carry the gear!!!
January 22, 2016 10:33PM
I get ya on the pack Daniel. But when I detect,its usually more of an adventure trip,lol. I usually hike 3-15 miles,often deep into a canyon. So need to carry alot of water n food. I understand that doesnt fit the bill for most.
January 22, 2016 10:43PM
Belt has all I need for the hands on part and I converted a tac bag/back pack for things that I may need throughout the day, small coil, grub batteries ect. Heat of summer it has a camel back for water.

January 22, 2016 10:53PM
Absolutely GREAT guys! I appreciate the VERY useful replies. Love the folks on this forum. Kevin
January 23, 2016 12:22AM
Many belts used in various ways.....problem is the weight will have your pants falling down......The trick is to use heavy duty suspenders....always used hunting and fishing and now works well in hobby for a comfortable feeling...not hitching your pants up....even when bending digging holes and retrieving targets...
January 23, 2016 12:53AM
Dan-Pa

Good point, I found that out in the beginning but changed over to a Bianchi system. The belt that goes through your pants have Velcro and the outer belt has Velcro. Once your inner belt is tight you just put the outer belt over it and good to go. I tried the suspenders and found that in some of the places I get into they would get caught up in the under brush and waitaminute vines lol.

January 23, 2016 12:54AM
the deus goes into my camo back back. I carry a belt canvas bag that I put all my stuff in including my digger and my pin pointer and camera and water proof pouches to carry my smaller coins and relics in. My backpack will carry water and bags to put locks and axe heads in and horse shoes. I use heavy duty suspenders to hold-up my belt bag but at the end of the day I'm fine with any extra weight. I carry my shovel and if I have the racer I will take the coil and lower rod and carry it in my pack along with another coil. I have put parts of stoves in my pack it's not big but just the right size to hunt all day and not get slowed by it

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
January 23, 2016 01:08AM
Belt canvas bag? You mean a fanny pack?spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
January 23, 2016 01:09AM
For those that need a harness to swing a Minelab.
I bought a CamelBak Military Spec. M.U.L.E Hydration pack and attached the
Pro Swing bungee to the shoulder D ring, and I couldn't be more happy.
It has the best hydration bladder I have used and it is comfortable and tough.
It feels like it was made for detecting with the harness and 17" coil strapped on to the CTX. I forget I'm even wearing it.
Plenty of room for food, batteries, extra jacket, first aid etc.
kind of spendy but worth every penny in my opinion.
I use a smallish construction pouch for finds but am looking for something a little bigger.
Can't find that just right size yet.
Park hunting for old coins I don't really need a huge pouch like you relic hunters.
Bryan
January 23, 2016 12:22PM
I don't have to hike far for most spots. I travel as light as possible. I belt on a one bag carpenters side pouch that has two smaller pouches above and below the main pouch, it's canvas. PP holster on same belt and carried at the lower back because of interference to my f-75. Small digger inside big pouch. Shovel in one hand, detector in the other and away I go.
January 23, 2016 03:44PM
ozzie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't have to hike far for most spots. I travel
> as light as possible. I belt on a one bag
> carpenters side pouch that has two smaller pouches
> above and below the main pouch, it's canvas. PP
> holster on same belt and carried at the lower back
> because of interference to my f-75. Small digger
> inside big pouch. Shovel in one hand, detector in
> the other and away I go.

Ozzie can attest that I usually leave half my needed equipment at home or in my truck so I borrow his...
January 23, 2016 05:41PM
Rod-PA Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ozzie Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I don't have to hike far for most spots. I
> travel
> > as light as possible. I belt on a one bag
> > carpenters side pouch that has two smaller
> pouches
> > above and below the main pouch, it's canvas. PP
> > holster on same belt and carried at the lower
> back
> > because of interference to my f-75. Small
> digger
> > inside big pouch. Shovel in one hand, detector
> in
> > the other and away I go.
>
>
> Ozzie can attest that I usually leave half my
> needed equipment at home or in my truck so I
> borrow his...

Ha! Didn't we drive back to the house once........good thing for spares, lol.
January 24, 2016 03:20AM
Kind of a 'me-too' post, but I also use a tac belt with a small Lowes tool pouch. In the summer, I use a milsurp compass case to hole my wireless module but in other seasons, I just put it in a pocket. When going some distance from my vehicle, i'll either use a small day pack, fanny pack on my back, or just a water bottle holder on the belt too. Water bottle on my belt always at the beach and a Lowes detachable drill bungee (found in the ladder section for some reason) for use in dragging my scoop.