Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

How can I preserve 19th century wooden fork handle???

Posted by Kevin B 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
How can I preserve 19th century wooden fork handle???
February 05, 2016 09:49PM
If the wood on this fork or spoon, found in a CW campsite, begins to dry.....I feel that it will be ruined. Does any forum member know how to preserve the wood on this relic? I'd surely appreciate any advice on this. Thank you

I really don't know how it could have survived this long!!!! I'm starting to become very concerned that the wood will dry and curl. I am open to any suggestions. I won't apply any polish or anything until I hear from someone who has knowledge about this. And again, I really appreciate any feedback. kevin
Re: How can I preserve 19th century wooden fork handle???
February 05, 2016 11:02PM
Try this, old standby proceedure.
The stuff stinks, phew.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-etzrETktU

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
February 05, 2016 11:44PM
Polyethylene glycol, I seem to recall, from my days at the Texas archaeological research labs were we had the 1553 Spanish fleet shipwrecks. But that's long and complicated look at this link it seems that any freeze may do the job

[forum.woodenboat.com]

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
February 06, 2016 02:18AM
lytle78 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Polyethylene glycol, I seem to recall, from my
> days at the Texas archaeological research labs
> were we had the 1553 Spanish fleet shipwrecks. But
> that's long and complicated look at this link it
> seems that any freeze may do the job
>
> [forum.woodenboat.com]-
> Ethylene-glycol-(auto-antifreeze)-treated-wood-saf
> ey

First, I would like to tell Sven1 that I appreciate his feedback!!! Great guy!!! And to Lytle78, I also appreciate, equally, your feedback. When I saw Polyethelene Glycol in your reply I realized that I had seen that term recently. And get this: The Laxative called "Miralax" is 100% granulated Polyethelene Glycol. I am thinking of making up a slurry in very warm water and then immersing my fork handle in that. The wood is getting dryer by the day and I have it on good authority that this fork (or spoon but probably fork with three prongs) is from the Civil War era. It was found in a campsite in pine thicket. I will report back on how this works. The only other Civil War wood that I have are two Enfield bullets one fired, one dropped) with their Rosewood plugs still in them. Yes, even the fired Enfield retained it's plug. It was scorched, but still present and accounted for. I appreciate the good feedback for you fine gentlemen!!!!!! I will try a bath of Polyethelene Glycol first. And then.....Royal London Oil gunstoick finish. That stuff really penetrates and hardens!!!!!
February 06, 2016 02:38AM
Linseed oil might work.
February 06, 2016 02:53AM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Linseed oil might work.

There's an idea. I think that I have a whole can of boiled Linseed Oil in my cupboard in my shop. Refinished a couple of nice Walnut gunstocks with it. Drying time is kinda lengthy, but still a good product. Thanks. kevin
February 06, 2016 04:05AM
Vaseline that is what I use on wood and iron

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
February 06, 2016 03:49PM
you need to replace the missing cells with glycol as mentioned .or they will just collapse as they dry
February 06, 2016 04:22PM
a few coats of whites glue thinned very thin with water. It soaks in and should preserve it.
February 06, 2016 06:46PM
Thanks guys!!!! I appreciate the feedback. You won't believe how much the wood has already shrunken. Last night, I washed it with warm water and a toothbrush very thoroughly. I then applied a coat of Royal London Oil. It really made some grain POP out! This stuff really soaks into the wood. I had to do something fast.....before the wood just.....went away. lol Again, thank you guys for your awesome feedback.