Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

My thoughts on the Racer 2 ######### 3/21/16 Red Racer Vs Racer 2 video of separation battle added********3/21/16 Video of R1 Vs R2 buried dime++++++Mineral Index TIP VIDEO 3/22/16

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Well Looks like the Racer is Back in Black LOL!!

Now its the Racer 2..(R2 from here on)

I most impressed with the Performance gains of the R2 over the original.

Im also impressed with the Attitude at Makro/Nokta...They listen and they make changes..and at times you will not believe how fast they make the changes.

Not just mechanical but also electronically.I have a feeling they work long hours at the company to make things happen...

The first thing you'll notice on it is they have added a lot of icons on the top label above the I.D....NO MORE DREADED 82's LOL!! There's a good size spread from a Zinc to a copper cent..And now we also have the ability to Notch out a target we don't want to hear ..Not a Block type notch but a real notch each separate I.D. number can be blocked..not a large zone like on a lot of units but each number on the I.D.This when coupled with 3 tone and the blendy audio and you have a very Sleuthy Modern trash hunter...and I might also add you can slide the tone break's around ...so you can build you a custom program with tone slide and Notch and SAVE IT!!!

Here's a Quick I.D. Chart for coins to show you the spreads

Dirty Buffalo 29
Mod Nickle 30
Fatty 42
Indian 63
Zinc 66
Copper Cent 79
Dime 80
Quarter 87
Half 93
Dollar 96

I will say for the park hunter or even Demo guy looking for coins this setup with the large spread coupled with notching and user assigned tone break you can save some time if you're after just coins ..the way it bleeds and blends you will be impressed...also and if you have the right phones and Keen hearing you can tell aluminum from ROUND on a Racer.

The things on the R2 I'm most impressed with is the ability to Slide the tone breaks...and by this I mean In two tone I can set the tone to break from ferrous to non ferrous by sliding the tone break...BUT and I must REALLY REALLY stress this.You can assign the tone bins its own Hz..and by this I mean you can take it from ultra low bass to ultra high treble with all points in between..I personally like to have the two tone mode have the low ferrous tone be as low as it will go and the non ferrous tone be as high as it will go ..so by this I can have the greatest tonal Delineation from one to the other..PLUS I can also adjust the low tone VOLUME..Yes you can turn the volume up or down in the ferrous range!!!! again HUGE...

I was at first scared the ability to slide the tone on the R2 would make the unit too Noisy or less intelligent in iron Vs the original Model.And also because we lost the Ferrous range to non ferrous as the ferrous range has been condensed to accommodate the non ferrous range.. .The original has the unique ability to use a factory break but unmask on a world class level...So my thought process was PLEASE don't mess this up..DON'T loose the intelligence...WELL I was not disappointed and actually can say NOW the R2 unmask better than the original Racer..As it should ..I was just apprehensive of a change but it worked and works well...I would not go back Now..

I may also add that you can change the tone break in 3 tone too and also assign the tone bins its own Hz...

The modes:

2 tone..and its deeper than the 3 tone.
3 tone.. is not as deep as two tone but has more accurate Visual I.D.'s
Beach..
Deep..EXTREMELY powerful..BUT it's slowed down and best utilized in open areas...airtest numbers are in the Stratosphere by the way...(((I need to show a video of a quarter on DEEP it will blow your mind)))
Allmetal..threshold based with Visual I.D. plus ability to use iSAT...that's the ability to speed up or slow down the retune speed of the Allmetal threshold..

There's also the other goodies still there...Flashlight vibration and Freq shift and also a new feature like ability to keep back light on continous but in your intensity choosing of c1 to c5..or intermittent by target report in terms of zero for nothing to 5 for brightest.

I can also add the Black color scheme is very Stealthy ...Also a new foam handgrip allows for a more Slimmer feel and also the Lazy S pole balances well..THANK YOU AGAIN!!

All in all when You compare the Early Racer to the New racer I can honestly say the Unit is way more Useful in terms of Modern areas and also has the tools needed to make it a more useful tool in iron laden sites...the Iron Volume is most welcome and the Variable tone break and tone Hz assignability to ME are HUGE!!!

I cant say the unit is any deeper in the two tone or 3 tone Vs the old Racer ...BUT the DEEP mode is In my soil deeper when theres ability to use it...It's slower so it requires a slower sweep to Properly I.D. at depth...Im my bad soil on isolated deep targets I can say the R2 correctly I.D.'d targets in terms of ferrous Vs Non ferrous when compared against the Original Racer..Targets turned out to be lower brass at depth ...

Yall are going to be most impressed with the tone breaks and iron volumes and the Hz assignability to to tone ranges is AWESOME!!

What we have in the R2 is the ability to take a PROEVEN Site unmasker and push it further...YOU know what the Small coil does on this unit in iron.. I can say for a fact it will go further now in iron...

the dreaded 82s are a thing of the past...there's quiet the spread on the non ferrous conductors now compared to the Original Racer..

I must say this is one of the most impressive units Ive had in awhile..in terms of all around hunter..and still holds the status as Great SITE machine in iron..

Its still a Racer DNA just option filled...Its still no magic stick..But if you like to Use your ears and like a Unit that talks to you then you will enjoy this...Visual I.D. depth is still about the same as the Red Racer ..But in my opinion seems more Telling than the original in terms of target for target at same depth.. And surely unmask on another level and also has the POWERFUL DEEP mode when it can be used..

Deep Mode
[www.youtube.com]

Notching Video
[www.youtube.com]

Recovery
[www.youtube.com]

10" Dime high mineral
[www.youtube.com]

Separation battle between Red Racer and Racer 2
[www.youtube.com]

Buried dime comparison
[www.youtube.com]

Mineral Index
[www.youtube.com]
Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla

Edited 14 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2016 05:19PM by Keith Southern.
Re: My thoughts on the Racer 2 from the field
February 11, 2016 12:38AM
Looks like daddy needs a new pair of shoes smoking smiley

Hmmm....bite for a R2, or wait for the Impact?
February 11, 2016 12:57AM
Keith thanks for yet Another informative and indepth report--you are truly an asset to our community.
February 11, 2016 12:58AM
I think the impact will add even more and now that summer is coming I start to slow down on my hunts. So I can wait but am tempted but it will make next fall even more fun. Great review Keith and have fun dude and let us know how you do on your sites.

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
February 11, 2016 01:00AM
I would also like to add this unit is not to replace the Red Racer..

Its another model in the lineup..

Look at it like the Fisher F70 then you have the F75..

Heck Fisher has how many Models???

Makro has how many??

The company is trying to grow their line..

And I might add Very Customer is first way of doing things..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
February 11, 2016 01:16AM
THEY ARE CATCHING THE OTHER COMPANIES WHILE THEY ARE SLEEPING AND MOVING TO THE TOP I WOULD SAY THE RACER AND DEUS ARE THE TOP DETECTORS OUT THERE NOW..BUT YOU KNEW I WOULD SAY THATsmileys with beer

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2016 01:41AM by Lawrenzo.
February 11, 2016 01:21AM
Hello all,
First post here. I got the racer when it first came out and have been happy with it, of all the improvements on the r2 the ones I would like the most would be the iron audio, improved grip and coil. If Makro/Nokta could do any of those or more via an update program a la the f75 dst I'd be willing to shell out. Other wise I'm a happy camper! Great detector f rom a top notch company! Kudos to you Keith and to every one else here, lots of knowledge and experience kicked around on this site!
February 11, 2016 02:45AM
It is going to appear to the general detecting public.... that...... the re-scaled iron range of 00-10..... will give the illusion of being 'insufficient span' for iron range. It is not.

Being able to adjust the tone-break for the iron range.......... and adjust the tone-break for mid-tones vs. high-tones....... are also very major attributes.

There are still a few mod's that Nokta (Makro) will implement (due to input)..... as compared to these proto's. Beware.
February 11, 2016 03:35AM
Yes very True Tom..Things can be different by the time the units hit the shelves for sure...

I feel the tone break's and Iron volume and Hz pitch in the bins will still be about the same..Or at least I hope so.. they seem to be dead on for performance ..

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
February 11, 2016 03:36AM
Thank's fellas,, hope its sort of Revealing in terms of whats to come in the R2..

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
February 11, 2016 03:58AM
Keith, did you get a chance to try out the big RC40 coil on the R2?
I have one for my new Gold Racer but have not had a chance to try it out yet.
Looks and feels great on the detector though.
Surprisingly light setup for a big coil compared to my CTX.
I would like to know if that coil can punch deep for old coins and still ID correctly
In mineralized ground.
Bryan
February 11, 2016 04:10AM
I Dont have a RC40 for it Bryan..

On a side note I have the RC40 for the Gold Racer and it seems to goe against conventional wisdom..

Talk about a Deep coin sized coil...I think the Ultra High Freq couplde to that coil creates sensitivity to coin sized objects a great depth that is usually not seen on say a 14 or 15Khz unit with that size coil..

Seem to combine to create a setup of use in a weird sort of unorthodox way..

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
February 11, 2016 04:13AM
Very nice review Keith,please tell me Deep program on R2 is slower than BP on F75/T2?

Liaso
February 11, 2016 04:21AM
It's slower than BP mode on F75 Liaso yet not as slow as the Cache mode I feel..

Ill try to get a Video of Deep airtest up maybe Tomorrow..Or later tonight.

Thanks

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
February 11, 2016 12:16PM
Going to take them some time....... but hopefully they will tackle a machine for salt water use. Now that will grab mine and a small groups attention. Until then ill keep watching their progress as well as many of the other overseas machines. We just keep getting rumors it seems from all the US companies of water machines....... and have been for a few years now.

Dew
February 11, 2016 12:53PM
any improvement on the stems that break and coil bolts that snap ?? and wifi phones ??
February 11, 2016 01:31PM
I don't think I saw any comments on the overload--- comparing original to the new????
February 11, 2016 03:50PM
Sounds like its a great machine.
What's interesting is it seems like they took some audio, notching, similar attributes etc. from the AKA Berkut that make it a wonderful detector--for its audio etc.
That's really will make the RC2 more likeable to those that only hunt coins and jewelry. And the menu arrangement appears to be more user friendly for the first timer than the Berkut.
Thought about getting another detector and was seriously interested in the new White's MXS with it waterproofing. After watching the operational video, knew right away I would not like it.
Thank goodness for the video. The new Racer has peaked my interest. Bet Mike Hillis will be looking at the RC2.

Big question for me is, on the Berkut I can save all my presets in all 4 modes of all metal and 4 modes of disc operation.
Can the new Racer do the same? What exactly will be saved?
The Berkut is highly adjustable and customizable, you would really hate to lose your custom settings if they were not savable.
Saving your settings will be a big plus for many.

The RC2 may be the Makro I have been waiting for

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
February 11, 2016 04:49PM
Keith,
Too bad the sound range the VDI is adjusted down to cannot be adjusted as low as 0hz. I was hoping XP would do that on the V4 update, several people indicated the same on the Finds XP Deus forum wish list. Used to adjust my V3i individual VDI's for 5hz(could go to 0 though). That would produce a "ticking" type sound on the ones set for that. 5hz let you know you had an audio discriminated target that you could walk by, additionally not affect a new manual ground balance.
You can in effect use the audio to discriminate without affecting depth in place of heavy notching. I used programs like this on the V3i very successfully in extreme trash environments with excellent depth.

Not trying to downplay this new Racer 2, sounds like a great machine!

Just a thought. Your thought?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2016 04:56PM by corvair.
February 11, 2016 05:59PM
You can bet they will have a full line of detectors very soon and they will build a nice stable of machines. It seems the US companies have been making machines for a long time now and they now take a lot longer to come out with a new machine. But with these other companies from Europe wanting in on the US market we all become the winners. The racer 2 seems like a nice change from what we have on the market and I bet they have XP thinking very hard about what they are going to offer in the near future. I would think for the deus all they have to do is design a new control head with new software and hardware and we just have to pay for that not new coils or lower and upper rods. Time will tell but with the impact coming out and the longer they take the better the machine will be we now have some nice units to consider for the spring thaw

LowBoy

[www.youtube.com]

February 11, 2016 06:40PM
Well, like I said, this IS the time to get these detectors in the hands of the customers(USA). I was going for the MXsport but, after the performance I saw on their video, it left me with some doubts. I was going to get a Racer, but it was lacking in features, IMO. Now however, the Racer 2, looks like the one I was waiting for. As for the Impact, I would guess that this is a 2017 offering. I wont speculate what it will be, but I got a great feeling I know what it will be.
February 11, 2016 08:46PM
Sven1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sounds like its a great machine.
> What's interesting is it seems like they took some
> audio, notching, similar attributes etc. from the
> AKA Berkut that make it a wonderful detector--for
> its audio etc.
> That's really will make the RC2 more likeable to
> those that only hunt coins and jewelry. And the
> menu arrangement appears to be more user friendly
> for the first timer than the Berkut.
> Thought about getting another detector and was
> seriously interested in the new White's MXS with
> it waterproofing. After watching the operational
> video, knew right away I would not like it.
> Thank goodness for the video. The new Racer has
> peaked my interest. Bet Mike Hillis will be
> looking at the RC2.
>
> Big question for me is, on the Berkut I can save
> all my presets in all 4 modes of all metal and 4
> modes of disc operation.
> Can the new Racer do the same? What exactly will
> be saved?
> The Berkut is highly adjustable and customizable,
> you would really hate to lose your custom settings
> if they were not savable.
> Saving your settings will be a big plus for many.
>
> The RC2 may be the Makro I have been waiting for

Factory Default /Save (FD/Save)
With the FD/Save feature of the RACER 2, you can save your settings or restore factory defaults. Save function saves all settings except for the ground balance and tracking. The device starts in the last mode where the save function was performed. For example, you changed the settings of both the All Metal mode and the Deep Mode and you saved the settings while in the Deep mode. Your device will start in the Deep mode upon next start up.
February 11, 2016 09:04PM
Keith

Please share your thoughts on the all metal mode with the ISAT. Curious how it performs in the 14khz platform. Any deeper than the red racer? Does the threshold "communicate" like on the older whites machines? I love AM hunting when you can do it, but found on the red racer it didn't offer anything disc modes couldn't in my generally mild dirt.
VIDEO OF DEEP MODE
February 11, 2016 10:30PM
Here's a Video of the Deep Mode airtest and also Overload or should I say lack of ..

[www.youtube.com]

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
February 11, 2016 10:32PM
The coil bolts are of the Nokta CoRe type..Virtually indestructible from my findings...

Not sure on the Stem...??Did not remember a problem ..

Did not test the WiFi phones..

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
Re: My thoughts on the Racer 2 from the field (VIDEO OF DEEP MODE ADDED)
February 11, 2016 10:35PM
Nice write up Keith..... Look forward to you video in the test bed, see how it compares to the R1
February 11, 2016 10:45PM
Keith, so now how does this compare to the fg+
February 11, 2016 10:50PM
The low Hz bottoms out at 100Hz..

But you can adjust the volume of that down to just a barely audible spit sound!

One thing I would really like to see on the Makro/Nokta platforms at some date and I've thought about this as a way to keep everything rolling audio wise.

they have a great Blending bleeding audio so take full advantage of that in the rest of the spectrum...

Have the objects you Notch out have a tone instead of a Null...say have three tones but have the notched items become the iron tone.. then the free flow audio still happens in the whole spectrum ..and then have the Iron volume control those notched items...

I believe with this bleedy blendy audio this COULD be a great addition in say foil or pull tabs ..let the sounds blend like we get in the iron range now...Have that calliope effect in the aluminum range and full range and let your ears be your master..

The condensed iron range we now have has showed me it can possibly work its magic in any range...

How about a scenario like this lots of pulltabs assigned a low tone then coins a High tone.. then go in and listen to all the blups and dig the high hits..or even partial high hots Etc.. just like we now do in iron..

Some other machines out can do what i'm talking about in terms of assigning tones to certain targets but they don't have the Blending Bleeding type DNA that Makro/Nokta has hit upon..

Audio is everything on these units..

It may just work?

Keith

-Nikola Tesla

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2016 10:53PM by Keith Southern.
February 11, 2016 10:58PM
The FG+ is still my pure site machine unit..

This is more of a all around unit..

The FG+ has a leg up in terms of harder masked items in iron.. its the Freq thats does it I feel on that unit..

The FG+ is my bread and butter unit AT THE MOMENT in iron sites ..

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
February 11, 2016 11:06PM
About the same as the Red on depth..BUT it can be smoothed out..the iSAT really is for the Prospector looking for the smaller items..

This is a all round unit and it can be used to prospect with the addition of variable retune speed control ...

You can make the all metal be deeper than the Red but it takes slowing down the retune..and in my soil that's too wonky running to be of use..

If you can run all metal the targets i'm sure are scattered, I would suggest going to the Deep Disc mode...its deeper than the all metal mode around here for me..

Keith

-Nikola Tesla