Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Fisher No Longer Tunes Digital CZs

Posted by smithzm@live.com 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Fisher No Longer Tunes Digital CZs
February 19, 2016 08:22AM
Hello, I'm new to this forum. I was wondering if I received an honest response from the Fisher company. I passed up on a decent Fisher CZ-7a for sale at the price of $275 after I called First Texas and asked if they still calibrated and tuned this model. The guy said the digital CZ's were too old and said something about the size of the tubes being the problem for tuning. It was a brief conversion and I was really disappointed because of the great things I have read about this model. I heard they're built like a tank, but I could not get enough courage to pull the trigger on an almost 20 year old machine. All good things eventually come to an end and I needed that reassurance from the company in case something crazy went wrong with the detector in the future. I also feel more comfortable with an analog CZ than a digital and understand that they respond quicker and are easier for Fisher to make repairs. I was just wondering if anyone else was aware of the tuning problem with digital CZ's? I was also wondering if anyone had a Fisher CZ6a for sale or any model calibrated by NASA Tom? I would pay a fair price. Thanks.
Re: Fisher No Longer Tunes Digital CZs
February 19, 2016 12:10PM
It makes sense, since they don't make any 'newer' digital CZ models similar to how they make a 'newer' analog CZ...the 3D. Since they make the CZ3D, which is almost exactly like the CZ5 and CZ6a, they still have parts and resources to re-calibrate the older analog models.

In my opinion, if you want a CZ, go the analog route. In reading a lot of posts on several forums and getting feed back on those posts from Dave Johnson about the CZ3D manufacturing process, all has been worked out in how FT puts together and calibrates the new CZ3D's on the market. So getting a new one at this point is not the crapshoot it was before, where you did not know if you were getting a correctly calibrated 3D. They went back to the original process of how they calibrate and all is well.

I guess the only issue is if you do decide to get a new one, ask the dealer if it is new stock or 'old' new stock , ie. how old is that new unit and has it been sitting in your shop for 2-3 years. You would want one recently made.

I say this because it seems its harder and harder to find older analog CZ's on the market. I know the 3 I have aren't going up for sale !
Re: Fisher No Longer Tunes Digital CZs
February 19, 2016 03:04PM
A while back was told Fisher doesn't have all the parts but would calibrate digital CZ's but feel the watertight seals may be the problem so thanks for the info.
Indeed nice analog CZ's are hard to find and don't come up on the buy and sell boards....