Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

first good find with my GPX 4800

Posted by ncwayne 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
first good find with my GPX 4800
February 21, 2016 05:06AM
I've had my GPX 4800 since the day before Christmas. I've had it out a few times for maybe a total of about 10 hours prior to today (Feb 20, 2016).
Two days ago in my confederate camp site, I was disappointed at how the F75SE would not detect a buried minie ball at approx 10 inches, yet it was not giving any indication of mineralization. My Racer in AM did give a very faint signal on the buried minie ball at 10 inches but it was sporadic. Normally this site registers very little mineralization, but I have found that when it is wet, the mineral can be problematic.
So, today I probed the site with the 4800. Lots of 22 cal bullets, a few very small pieces of rusty iron, a fairly large rusty iron item at considerable depth, and a few buck n balls. And one small, thin disk, sort of a dull gray that had the look, at first, like the head of a roofing nail. I picked it up and under closer inspection saw the little six pointed star very faintly rendered on the disk. Turning it over, I saw the "C" with the 3 "i"s and knew that I had found my second silver three cent piece, both coming from this same site, the first one having been found with my Deus back on Dec 9, 2015.
It's nice to finally have the first good find with my 4800. I look forward to many more.

The 3cp is very worn and unbelievably thin, but I think I can make out the last digit of the date as being a 6, and believing it to be a CW drop, I think the date is 1856.

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
Re: first good find with my GPX 4800
February 21, 2016 05:18AM
Very nice.
How deep???

Congrats on a super find. Looks to me your GPX has a home for a long while.
February 21, 2016 08:31AM
Awesome!! Mine will be shipping Monday. I am getting a little excited.
February 21, 2016 09:45AM
Awesome find. Congrads
I can't ( swing)the money for a gpx but I do see a tdi pro in my sights
February 21, 2016 11:14AM
That IS odd that the 75 didn't hit that 10" minne....they love lead. Rare find, the 3 cent silver...good pull.
February 21, 2016 01:26PM
Nice find ncwayne
February 21, 2016 01:35PM
Thanks, guys!

tnss,

Not all that deep; something like 4 to 5 inches. Actually gave a really loud signal. Thought it might be surface junk (lots of aluminum can bits on parts of this site) but it had a particularly clean sound to it so I thought I would investigate. I don't pass up much.
I dig lots of 22 cal bullets, all larger cal modern bullets, shotgun hulls, wire bits; those primer cups where the shotgun base is long gone, they are the worst! I'm trying to learn the 4800's language. There is some nuance of difference between 22s and buck balls and aluminum bits and such, but it takes a while to learn the language. I do have a long handled trenching shovel now for my field work. With the 4800, it helps a lot! No, I'd say it's pretty much mandatory!

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

February 21, 2016 06:14PM
Bflo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Awesome find. Congrads
> I can't ( swing)the money for a gpx but I do see a
> tdi pro in my sights

They have came down a lot in the last few months. They brought back the 4500 and are offering it pretty cheap with 2 coils. Street price is around $1,900 for it, but the MAP is higher on the internet. Dealer street price is lower. The 4800 was being offered with a "free" Eureka Gold vlf machine for around $2,500...which most people were selling the Eureka machine for around $500 and basically getting the 4800 for $2,000. That deal is over now but several still have the 4500s. So the price is still high but even a new high end VLF will run you a grand or more...and something like the CTX 3030 costs more than the GPX now. They have it priced within reach of other pulse machines now.
February 21, 2016 06:18PM
Awesome find!!!!! Congrats!!!!
February 21, 2016 06:26PM
NICE!!!

Congrats!!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
February 22, 2016 02:32AM
Great save Wayne! Pick up my 4800 tomorrow evening and like Daniel said, I'll be getting rid of the Eureka. I also got the 10x5 DD based on others advice. Excited don't even start to describe it. Had a chance to swing one back in the fall and saw what it had to offer...took some time but finally picking one up. Good luck and HH
February 22, 2016 03:46AM
WTG Wayne! That's one cool coin! I remember you found one last year.

With the f75 not detecting the 10" minnie ball, Goes to show even low mineralized dirt has masking, reason why most vlf loose depth in mild dirt. Most hunters don't notice the reduced depth, and many will never realize it. The main thing is you're noticing it, and know when to bring out the heavy artillery (GPX).

I see Tom sprung for one smiling smiley

If you ever get the chance to try a v6, that beast will get the 10" burried minnie ball with ease in that same dirt the f75 and racer struggled with.

Congratulations Wayne!
Paul

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2016 03:50AM by Old California.
February 22, 2016 05:20AM
Thanks, again, fellas! Appreciate the kind remarks by all. Sounds like several are springing for GPXs and other PI units of their own. I hope all that extra digging brings big rewards to each of you.
Paul, to respond to something you said; I can't believe it's taken me nearly 2 years to see the diminished depth and consequent masking that even mild mineralization causes. It makes me leery of a phrase I have used quite often to describe my local soil conditions, "low mineralization."
My trip to the JGD fall hunt in Culpeper in December, and Tony_K's observations of the mineralization effects in a site near Raleigh that we have detected some together are what finally opened my eyes. Prior to that, mineralization was something I only encountered in other people's posts on the forums. Now, I am aware; very much aware, of the depth that ground mineralization can rob from my detectors. It doesn't take but a few minutes to drop a coin or bullet or button in a hole you already dug, and cover it a few inches at a time, to see how if affects the signals of the machine(s) you're using. It can tell you which of your machines is the better one for that time and place regarding depth achieved.

Forewarned is knowing that mineralized soil is a real possibility, perhaps anywhere you or I go detecting. And perhaps just the moisture content of the soil can raise that level of mineralization.
Forearmed is having a detector in the vehicle that can work effectively under the conditions we encounter.

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC

February 22, 2016 05:52AM
Nice dig! I've only found on 3 center, and that was quite a few years ago.

I guess I'm not surprised that the F75 wouldn't detect the minie ball and the Racer would. I've seen time and time again whereas the Racer would detect targets the F75 was simply blind to, and they don't have to be deep either. Although mainly what I've observed has been high conductors, for me the F75 has loved lead, from large to the tiniest of tiny that is a real PITA to dig.

Happy hunting,
Brian
February 22, 2016 06:11AM
"Forearmed is having a detector in the vehicle that can work effectively under the conditions we encounter. "

You said it. I have guys ask why I have so many ( if they only knew 4 is not many compared to others) detectors and I try to explain each has something over the other given the location you are hunting and ground conditions. And we all know that ground conditions can change from one hunt to the other on the same property due to moisture etc.

Plus it's just fun getting out and working with each to see what You can figure out...I've came back a many a day with a empty pouch but always had a good time doing it lol
thumbs downRe: first good find with my GPX 4800
February 22, 2016 04:25PM
SUPER COOL FIND!!!drinking smiley

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!