50% More Power?
March 06, 2023 03:44PM
First of all, thank you for allowing me to register on this forum, I have been a long-time lurker here.

I would be very interested to hear Tom, or anyone else knowledgeable about this, explain the assertion that the Manticore puts 50% more power into the ground than earlier generations of (Minelab?) SMF detectors. There has already been some discussion of this on the internet, but I think it has suffered badly from a lack of technical understanding on the part of those engaging in the online debates.

As I understand things, pretty much every SMF detector works in a similar way on the 'transmit side' by putting out electromagnetic energy, of the order of a microwatt effective radiated power (roughly minus 30dBm) at a range of frequencies - and their (primarily third and maybe fifth) harmonics - between about 5kHz and about 80kHz, by putting square-edged rectangular waveforms into the transmit coil. Lower switching frequencies are more likely to suffer from 'I squared R' - resistive losses - warming up the copper in the transmit coil. Higher switching frequencies are likely to suffer more from inductive losses. The clever part comes in how these transmitted pulse trains are designed - and of course, how the energy that comes back to the 'receive coil' is analysed 'simultaneously' across a range of frequencies. There is, for a given transmit waveform, a given spread of transmitted energy at different frequencies - each transmitted waveform type has a characterisitic energy 'spectrum'.

I believe that the '50% more power' comes about by using a transmit waveform with a larger area under the transmitted power/frequency curve i.e. greater 'spectral power density' (power tranmitted across a given frequency spectrum) - particularly at the lower frequency end of the spectrum. I think these modes use up the battery faster (you can't get something for nothing!).

I think that this new type of waveform is used in the deep-seeking High Conductor modes - just as the Deus 2 does in Deep High Conductor mode, amongst a couple of others.

Have I understood this correctly?

Thanks in advance.

PS apologies for my English English!
Re: 50% More Power?
March 06, 2023 05:57PM
The only thing I've seen, in regards to measured output, is a couple videos on YouTube channel Tech Delirium. Shows scope displaying nox 900 vs manticore waveforms (not sure what value being measured). The nox 900 waveform occupies the space of 4 vertical blocks and the manticore waveform occupies 6 (50% more??). His other video shows all the programs and frequencies used for D2, 900 and manticore, which was neat to actually see. I do know, that the whole -30dBm thing, for FCC compliance, is strictly to do with only the radio wifi/bt output for the headphones and nothing to do with coil or detector "power". One of Minelab's recent patents speaks of some new way to maybe double the coil signals, by maybe adding extra connections within,, not sure and not sure if it's in use on any units yet?
Re: 50% More Power?
March 06, 2023 08:26PM
UKD2....... Correct! And................ without infringing upon confidential stuff......... the "50% More Power" is: "Marketing Words" (you could say: Marketing jargon/hype)....,,,,,,......yet, there is 'some' validity in the statement. I (myself) may even say: 50% more power.......for the purpose of: novice-to-novice better understanding. BUT/WHEN......... in actuality ........ it is not exactly/merely a 50% XMT power increase; yet, a host of parameters that (collectively) increase certain performance levels....... by (say) 50%.
The bottom line: Manticore IS different over EQX. AND ....... with increased performance. . . . . . . . with the final Real-World resultant being: Manticore works better than EQX.