Every time I watch a sport fishing tv show and watch them using a fish finder . . .
Which works like a charm in salt water and . . .
ID's non-conductive moving objects (fish) by notable size differences and . . .
Defines other anomalies beneath the surface and on the bottom . . .

Makes we wonder? How hard have the MD Manufacturers really tried all there years?
For the most part ( ML excluded ) what we use has basically not changed in 60 yrs.
In spite of the invention of such things as Computers, MRI, CAT,Lasers, Night Vision . . .

Just makes me wonder . . .
Government limitation on amount of power allowed has limited what is available in the detector field. New tech must be developed or most manufactures will not try to develop a better tech unless there is great financial gain available.
In the future a detector will not report with sounds and numbers. It will have a picture of what is under the coil just like a fish finder and depth will be much greater. Ground Radar.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2013 01:05PM by CTX3030.
Here is an old post, my 2 cents, : I see a machine in the future that alerts you through tones or VDI of a target. After you pinpoint it, you pull a trigger, the MD transmit is interrupted and a minature GPR kicks in and you get a digital image on a screen with enough resolution so you can tell the difference between a coin, tab or a gold ring. Screen will also offer overlays of target depth, size and other selectable data.